Not open for further replies.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was very enthused and excited about the idea of buying a 2drBronco Badlands, v6. I haven't had a new vehicle since the 93 Toyota which I recently sold for $250 less than what I bought it for..... but my excitement has died down over time...what is killing it for me are a few issues I just can't get arround.......18mph and 20 hwy mpg for the V6..REALLY that's abysmal!!!! a manual tranny would help. Get the MPG up to 24-26 hwy might change my mind,,,but 20 mpg is terrible. Then for me there is this complete push by the US government to go to EV's, what's gonna happen to gas prices??? Is the Government gonna cause gas prices to go up to push... Ev's on the population as a whole...I have a feeling they will. So buying a gas guzzling vehicle which has a power train which is being phased out just doesn't seem like a smart way to drop $50K on a vehicle....I just can't do it....If for some reason I change my mind it will still be there for me to buy, but since I own vehicles for a long time, I just can't see dropping $50K on something which is trying to be phased out......
20mpg for a flying brick is great. I got 16 at 80-85 in my 12 2dr Jeep Rubicon stick 4.10 gears. What did you get in your 93 truck? Most SUV which are more like tall cars only get 20-25mpg. You are expecting way too much!

If you don't want it, buy it and then turn around and sell it for $60k. Powertrain being phased out? Since when? Oh for your information the only reason electric vehicles sell at all is because of the $10k credits subsidized by the government. On the free market only the extremely wealthy would be able to buy electric vehicles.
Sponsored

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lol I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I can't manage more than 20mpg with the 2.3L w/ manual (currently averaging 16mpg, lol)

:)
Iā€™m not sure this forum is for anyone whoā€™s overly concerned about mpg. A highly capable full size off-road ready vehicle canā€™t be held to a 30mpg standardā€¦at least by anyone who understands basic physics. Those two things canā€™t coexist especially in a mass market vehicle.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Talk about efficiency gains
Considering the 1972 SS 402 was only officially rated at 270 horsepower, the earlier 396 models were 350 horsepower, the lower rating was probably more for insurance purposes than the actual horsepower. The Bronco 2.7 (165ci) has 315 horsepower. Amazing.

But still shitty fuel economy.

DFNMAN

Base
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 2dr, 15' M3, 07' FJ, 03' M3, 79' 928
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for letting us all know you are a cry baby.

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was very enthused and excited about the idea of buying a 2drBronco Badlands, v6. I haven't had a new vehicle since the 93 Toyota which I recently sold for $250 less than what I bought it for..... but my excitement has died down over time...what is killing it for me are a few issues I just can't get arround.......18mph and 20 hwy mpg for the V6..REALLY that's abysmal!!!! a manual tranny would help. Get the MPG up to 24-26 hwy might change my mind,,,but 20 mpg is terrible. Then for me there is this complete push by the US government to go to EV's, what's gonna happen to gas prices??? Is the Government gonna cause gas prices to go up to push... Ev's on the population as a whole...I have a feeling they will. So buying a gas guzzling vehicle which has a power train which is being phased out just doesn't seem like a smart way to drop $50K on a vehicle....I just can't do it....If for some reason I change my mind it will still be there for me to buy, but since I own vehicles for a long time, I just can't see dropping $50K on something which is trying to be phased out......
Look into Hydrogen Fuel Cell would be my only suggestion. There are actually conversion kits out there and the system works. I'm not saying do it as soon as you get your bronco but I have a lot of the same concerns you have in terms of gas. I fully expect the price of gas to blow up in the next 5 to 10 years because of the EV push. it's not going to be "necessary" anymore and I think for that reason they're going to tax the hell out of gas because "it's for toys" or some BS. Sorry if that got too political. Anyways,

I have a 1968 MG B GT I've had since I was 15. It's my dream to actually fix it up and throw in a big straight 6 or v8 but your mentioned concern has me thinking that a Hydrogen fuel cell engine/conversion could be a better way to go. If you aren't familiar with HO2 cars they do currently exist but there aren't many of them because the government doesn't like that you can refuel your vehicle with tap water and run it without paying tax on gas. I feel you on this one I really do and I have issues dropping 53k on my 4dr badlands manual but I've NEVER owned a new car and I've had my 2011 Suby since 2012 (cert preowned) this will very likely be the first and last new car I ever buy. I have zero interest in EVs personally. I like to travel way to much and 250miles per charge isn't realistic If I want to drive from WA to Montanna and back for a camping trip in an EV. They're great town cars but I think gas will still be around for quite a few years. Fingers crossed. Wish you the best man

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I understand your concern, but there are 2 BIG factors that you must keep in mind:

1. The oil cartel is so powerful (GLOBALLY) that even with a strong government push for EV's, plus automobile manufacturers willing to switch over, it will STILL be at least a decade before we see a changeover. The money and the politics involved will do all they can to stop it or slow it down at the very least.

2. We won't have enough nationwide charging stations and infrastructure in place to support a drastic changeover.

The direction is clear, but it will be a SLOW grind.

EDIT: I can see a hybrid Bronco come to the market before an E-Bronco, even though the Mustang and F150 will be test beds for it.
I think the switch to EVā€™s will come sooner than everyone thinks. Range and charging is going to drastically improve over the next couple of years. When we can go 500+ miles on a single charge and recharge in less than 10 minutes, the ICE will be history šŸ˜Ž.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2021 Tacoma TRD OR V6 gets 17 city and 20 highway, all stock. It has 30ā€ tires compared to 33ā€ on the Badlands. Toyota MPG has more than likely gone down from your 1993. My 87 Bronco was good for 10 city and 13 highway on 33ā€ tires, so Ford has improved in that time.

I think the switch to EVā€™s will come sooner than everyone thinks. Range and charging is going to drastically improve over the next couple of years. When we can go 500+ miles on a single charge and recharge in less than 10 minutes, the ICE will be history šŸ˜Ž.
I ordered my first EV this week, a 2022 Ford Lightning Pro for $46K. The electric may not quite be ready for prime time, but I think itā€™s time to see for myself. I live in a congested state with what appears to be a significant amount of charging stations. No way could I roll the dice on an EV when I was living in AZ and driving 60K miles per year.

Last edited:

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would not base my decision on the future of fuels. Itā€™s smoke and mirrors the world Governments live off taxation of motor fuels. It will be a minimum of 25-30 years if even then to be gasoline free. The mandates for stop selling new ICE vehicles is still another 10-15 years away. If your buying your last vehicle for ever than whatever but the reality is the future is not even owning your own vehicle. A driverless vehicle will show up and you use it than it goes away. I truly believe the Drones are the next faze in our lifetime.
"There is a law that will require every new vehicle to have this kill switch "like onstar theft" to kill a car.. law enforcement can stop your rig if they "think" your drunk or any other reason they feel like. They just need to get close enough tk run your plates šŸ˜œ

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reality might have something to say about your belief's trumping chemistry, physics, and the availability of raw materials (while batteries can be made from various chemicals, very few are suited for long draw and quick charging. It is also a filthy technology. Lots of nasty byproducts from manufacturing and disposal.)

It is a dead end technology that cannot replace ICE unless you drastically (read; force) change on how people use vehicles and where they live.

Sponsored

Ukon

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What the ā€œUS governmentā€œ wishes to do aside, the entire planet is pushing EVs. However, for those of us who want to go off-road and off grid in the wilderness, desert, or woods, an EV is likely close to 10 years away from being viable. At that point, even I may get one.

If youā€™re only wanting a Bronco to drive around in, then yes, you should move on to something more pedestrian Anyway. Being in that part of Kentucky, think youā€™d know better. Gas prices have been in flux for over 20 years, yet pickups are actually getting much bigger. A man wants what he wants and many are willing to eat the higher prices for the vehicles, then turn around and eat the price of gas. Only a few of these men do actual work in these trucks. Whatever the point is of them is beyond me.

However, to each his own. If the cost of gas is too high or even if just on principle you wonā€™t pay the price, then if the cost of gas is the only thing that matters, sure, a Bronco makes no sense, just like a huge truck.

But, if you plan to use that truck to haul stuff, or that Bronco to go wheeling out in the dirt, then the cost doesnā€™t matter as much. I put wheeling and camping above my price limits for gas, thus the Bronco.

Thereā€™s no right or wrong here for you or anyone else, only what matters most to you as an individual. Good luck on your next vehicle choice.
I think full EVā€™s are way further than 10 years off, based solely on the inability of the current grid to handle the increased stress.
Every time it gets hot, CA has to shut the power down to avoid over stressing it because of people running their A/Cā€™s, and we saw what happened with TX last year when it got cold.
Whatā€˜s gonna happen when all of a sudden everyone is plugging in their cars at the same time?

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Iā€™m American and look forward to better hybrid technology. I also have no interest in moving to an island. Odd that you are so against a technology that would only make your vehicle better. Just look at the F150 hybrid which gets 24/24 mpg and can power a house with its on board generator.
I live on two islands, one in NY, the other in Florida. Iā€™m going to use my Bronco as a daily driver. Fortunately, my office is only 12 miles from my home. The fact that my Bronco will only get MPGā€™s in the mid-teens, doesnā€™t bother me, otherwise Iā€™d buy a little car to save gas.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think full EVā€™s are way further than 10 years off, based solely on the inability of the current grid to handle the increased stress.
Every time it gets hot, CA has to shut the power down to avoid over stressing it because of people running their A/Cā€™s, and we saw what happened with TX last year when it got cold.
Whatā€˜s gonna happen when all of a sudden everyone is plugging in their cars at the same time?
Iā€™m going to laugh when the power companies, who usually incentivize people to use less power during the work day, are incentivizing people to charge their cars during the day.

If the EV Lightning works great for me Iā€™ll look into adding solar/power wall on the house after the roof gets redone in probably 2024.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.