First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I posted on a year old thread, but it may make more sense to start a new one. I do not have overhead aux switches and saw the thread about adding them. BUT, I only have 4 switches on my dash so there is room for 2 more. I'm wondering if I can swap this out and pick up a couple aux switches here. Photos are from the web of what I have and what I want, with the two new switches being available for the rocket launcher I plan on installing. Anyone have any helpful information?

Ford Bronco Can I upgrade these switches? 1

Ford Bronco Can I upgrade these switches? 2
Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm sure you could order the switches from ford and wire up a relay to run whatever like ARBs or lights.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

certainly an interesting idea! The little light up display would show wrong things, but might be worth investigating. (I'd just buy the full set to get rid of the empty slots, LOL)
Yes, you'd need a relay of sorts, these are not physical on/off switches like the aux switches. I'm not all that great with electronics, but if you can figure out how to wire something to them that just needs a signal to switch something on or off and figure out how to wire it to the back, might be possible.
Maybe a tech can shine some light on this, I'd guess there's a plug from the harness that plugs directly in. But if you're good with electronics or know someone that is, I don't see why not.

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Solid idea. Gotta research the part number, and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a wiring diagram in the shop manual somewhere. Then post those here and ask the brainiacs to dive into the details (and donā€™t forget to tell the rest of us how much $ the part number goes for if ordered from a dealer :p )

OP
OP
Shacky4

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
certainly an interesting idea! The little light up display would show wrong things, but might be worth investigating. (I'd just buy the full set to get rid of the empty slots, LOL)
Yes, you'd need a relay of sorts, these are not physical on/off switches like the aux switches. I'm not all that great with electronics, but if you can figure out how to wire something to them that just needs a signal to switch something on or off and figure out how to wire it to the back, might be possible.
Maybe a tech can shine some light on this, I'd guess there's a plug from the harness that plugs directly in. But if you're good with electronics or know someone that is, I don't see why not.
Looks like the OEM installed 3 switches would be correct. Just need to black out or eliminate the led for the other two. I think I could do it with enough guidance, but would definitely need some help from the smart folks here.

Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did ya ever make headway on this? I was looking at the back and it looks like 8 pins, I'm guessing power, ground and 1 pin per switch?

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It would be much easier and safer to just install a Auxbeam 8 gate switch and be done with it.

IMG_20230205_152950.jpg

IMG_20230129_185901.jpg

IMG_20230101_185049.jpg

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Keep in mind youā€™d also need to order the full 6-switch cover as each switch does not have itā€™s own independent cover.

I have also considered this if I ever run out of upfitters in the future (I have one extra hole due to no SB disconnect).

My concern is that I donā€™t think the factory switches are ON/OFF. They are momentary type switches. e.g. just send a momentary pulse to the computer when you press them - which determines if a device needs to switch on or off depending on itā€™s current state.

So the trick would be to find an aftermarket on/off switch that can fit in the hole and be covered with the factory rubber switch panel cover.

Riverjeep

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was considering ordering the cover from a Badlands just to fill the whole thing up with one being a blank where the swaybar disconnect would be. My F-150 has a blank button where Ford did a start stop delete on the 22's due to a chip shortage.

Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I actually wanted them for their intended purpose (redif locker) and I enjoy having things look factory that shouldn't be.

For instance a project I'm looking at is putting the 12" monitor into my Base. As far as I can tell the head units are all the same, it's just switching out the monitor & trim.

Save The Manuals

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I actually wanted them for their intended purpose (redif locker) and I enjoy having things look factory that shouldn't be.

For instance a project I'm looking at is putting the 12" monitor into my Base. As far as I can tell the head units are all the same, it's just switching out the monitor & trim.
I would think the APIM would need some reprogramming

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would think the APIM would need some reprogramming
If the switch triggers an open/close response then you should be able to pin the location, run it to a separate relay that triggers the lockers to open/close. Which should be enough to to a ABR compressor on/off.

Otherwise, yeah you'd need all the stock wiring and some computer wizardry to have it run the real stock stuff.

OP
OP
Shacky4

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Keep in mind youā€™d also need to order the full 6-switch cover as each switch does not have itā€™s own independent cover.

I have also considered this if I ever run out of upfitters in the future (I have one extra hole due to no SB disconnect).

My concern is that I donā€™t think the factory switches are ON/OFF. They are momentary type switches. e.g. just send a momentary pulse to the computer when you press them - which determines if a device needs to switch on or off depending on itā€™s current state.

So the trick would be to find an aftermarket on/off switch that can fit in the hole and be covered with the factory rubber switch panel cover.
A momentary switch would be just fine if you used a relay. (I think.) You could install the factory switches, run a couple new wires and use a relay on each of the new runs.

Save The Manuals

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the switch triggers an open/close response then you should be able to pin the location, run it to a separate relay that triggers the lockers to open/close. Which should be enough to to a ABR compressor on/off.

Otherwise, yeah you'd need all the stock wiring and some computer wizardry to have it run the real stock stuff.
I meant for the larger infotainment screen
Sponsored