Sponsored

Wiper control speed issues URGENT SAFETY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That isn‘t accurate for my situation. The wipers have gone to slow intermittent in very light rain or heavy rain/ sleet. Also, if I leave them on in this slower mode they do not return to regular speed unless I readjust the speed.
That is what we are having too on our Bronco.

Apparently there is some sort of new system that detects load of the wipers dragging on the windshield - but something seems wrong to us - as if the programming of this system is off, way off - cutting power even when the windshield is being hit by rain.

One one hand, I suppose it was an arguably good idea to have such a system if someone left their wipers on all day long on a dry windshield (not sure if that was was ever a problem though). But somehow this new system is putting our wipers into a longer and longer intermittent mode unexpectedly even while raining - even raining heavily.
Sponsored

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BadLands manual 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I almost crashed from this freaking issue. I live in the PNW and had a sudden heavy snow blizzard last night driving home (new Bronco). Full powered wipers was barely enough to clear my window, and then they just started slowing down, to a stop! I had to continually flip the wipers on/off to keep the snow cleared. It’s pitch dark roads. I couldn’t see a d*** thing at one point.

Ford, I would have sued you to the end of time if I got wrecked.

Last edited:

Grant3168

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 G37, 2006 G35
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I remember reading this post a while back (before I got my bronco) and thinking, “Sheesh. That sucks. But hopefully it’s just a really small group of people experiencing this.”

Then fast forward to recieving my bronco. I am on a trip to Moab UT right now and got caught white out conditions. Absolutely horrifying. No matter the speed, after about 30-40 seconds, it slows down tremendously. Even with snow, sleet and road grim getting flung onto my windshield. Once I got into town I bought rainex and applied generously to the windshield, but with the straight vertical windshield, rainex doesn’t work as well as it does on my coupes windshield.

Unfortunately, it seems like there isn’t an immediate fix for this. Other than crossing your fingers and praying for a recall. I cannot fathom how dangerous this is. Someone is going to get serious hurt.

2023 Black Diamond

nickjaynes

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, 2022 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok everyone. I elevated this complaint with Ford. Got a call from the Executive Liaison CCGO office. They spoke to my dealer and also with engineering.

CCGO confirmed with engineering that this is the correct function of the smart wiper motor; it’s supposed to shut down in low precipitation in order to protect the wiper motor. They wouldn’t hear me when I explained that it shut down even in high precipitation like pouring rain.

There is no fix. No flash. No updated part. They’re sticking to their guns on this one.

I suggest we keep submitting to NHTSA. And until Ford gets scared enough to come up with a fix, we will just need to be safe out there. Good luck!

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reported mine. This is one of the dumbest engineering decisions I’ve seen. How ironic it’s called “smart wipers”. I’m assuming it’s like calling a bald guy “Harry” or a right handed person “Lefty”. Really stupid. They’re going to eventually get a lawsuit when someone gets hurt.

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reported mine. This is one of the dumbest engineering decisions I’ve seen. How ironic it’s called “smart wipers”. I’m assuming it’s like calling a bald guy “Harry” or a right handed person “Lefty”. Really stupid. They’re going to eventually get a lawsuit when someone gets hurt.
Same, reported to NHTSA

nickjaynes

Black Diamond
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, 2022 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's the last note I sent to CCGO:

"I, and many other Bronco owners in this Bronco-owners forum thread, are having their windshield wiper motors turn off during high precipitation — pouring rain or otherwise.

I'd ask engineering to consider whether the smart motor is overly sensitive and in turn causing a safety issue. Here in the Pacific Northwest, it rains a lot and in great volumes. I've had my wiper motor turn itself down from continuous to a low intermittent setting erroneously — when continuous wiper motion is not only called for but necessary. It's both frustrating and scary and sometimes downright dangerous.

Thank you again for your time."

Hopefully I get a response!

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Bronco has been at the dealer for nearly a week now, and its going to be even longer now. I got a call today that the techs noticed when water was put directly over the pre-collision camera/sensor, that the wipers would act up but, when the water was taken away, they would go back to acting completely normal. My dealer tech has been in contact with an engineer from Ford regarding the issue. I'll post more info as I get it.

ferbm

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Couple SUVs, couple clunkers, one sweet ride.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
submitted my report.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I remember reading this post a while back (before I got my bronco) and thinking, “Sheesh. That sucks. But hopefully it’s just a really small group of people experiencing this.”

Then fast forward to recieving my bronco. I am on a trip to Moab UT right now and got caught white out conditions. Absolutely horrifying. No matter the speed, after about 30-40 seconds, it slows down tremendously. Even with snow, sleet and road grim getting flung onto my windshield. Once I got into town I bought rainex and applied generously to the windshield, but with the straight vertical windshield, rainex doesn’t work as well as it does on my coupes windshield.

Unfortunately, it seems like there isn’t an immediate fix for this. Other than crossing your fingers and praying for a recall. I cannot fathom how dangerous this is. Someone is going to get serious hurt.

2023 Black Diamond
Good morning, we are glad you're safe! That certainly doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have. I'd like to look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info at your earliest convenience.

Grant3168

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 G37, 2006 G35
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good morning, we are glad you're safe! That certainly doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have. I'd like to look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info at your earliest convenience.
Thank you, I just sent you a private message with my details.

ArtP

Outer Banks
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have had the same issue as everyone else here. '22 Outerbanks that I picked up in October. After putting the wipers in either low or high, they would slow down and default back to intermittent after about 30 seconds (the work order says 10 minutes but that's incorrect). I had my dealer replace the wiper motor today, and I just drove it home in a rain/sleet storm and they now work correctly. Attached is the work order with the part number. Hopefully, this helps others.

IMG_1214.jpeg

Rex5415

Raptor
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just experienced this same issue on my brand new Raptor today during a snow storm :(

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope this turns out to be a software problem and not a motor issue. I can't imagine the motor being it's own independently controlled unit.
Sponsored