First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Still can’t figure out why they only put 3 lug nuts on the spare. I think it looks cheap. That being said, I now have all 6 on mine. I originally was going to add 3 studs (or 12x1.50 bolts) to the tire holder by drilling holes in it, but at the last minute decided to TRY “Hot gluing “ the lug nuts on. I cleaned the wheel and lug nut with degreaser prior to gluing. I purposely broke one free a few times to see how good it will hold, and in my opinion I believe they will hold just fine. Time will tell and I will update as time goes on and I go through the Carwash a few times. Before anyone jumps on me about the “locking Nut”, I know they are easily defeated, but might slow some of the amateurs up, either way….it’s cheap piece of mind.

F393AABD-B38B-4914-96A7-2407F34EB1FD.jpeg
Should have used JB weld
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You could get a THREAD FILE and clean the threads up yourself. I used to work in the machine tool industry assembling machines and i have thread file. Very easy to do. They’re made in metric and American.

Ford Bronco Spare tire lug nuts 5FE2C93A-CF23-4D90-A183-C254EC2085A1

Ford Bronco Spare tire lug nuts 5FE2C93A-CF23-4D90-A183-C254EC2085A1
Beautiful. Just like the one I inherited from my mechanic father thirty five Years ago, even the same sleeve! I used it maybe twice in those 35 years, until I got the Bronco, used it several times since, them new fangled bols are touchy. Of course mines American but will work in a pinch on metric.

Sponsored

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some of us have our aesthetic sensitivities. I get that.

I have a functional problem related to this. I was wrestling my flat (Badlands Sasquatch LT315/70R17/C) onto the rear rack after a tire change, and was having trouble hefting it onto the rear gate tire mount (getting old here, alas). I managed to scrape or gouge the threading on the right-top stud, and now won't accept the nut, leaving me with two holding the spare on. 😟 They've been sufficient--so far--but I can't rely on that indefinitely.
I showed it to my dealer's service manager, and he wants to sell me the complete rack assembly at about $1100! (Fink!). The lug is not bolted on, but is somehow affixed like a welded-in carriage bolt, hard to "feel" how it's joined.
My first approach will be to have a machinist re-thread the lug. If that doesn't work, does anybody have any ideas or experience on removing and replacing a spare-tire rack's stud?
I had to remove the studs on a customers and replace them with longer ones. The metal bracket they are attached to comes out of the plastic piece. Each stud has 3 spot weld holding it to the bracket.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford saves 3 lug nuts for every bronco and the labor to install 3 more lug nuts. That’s why there are 3 vs 6.
Well there is a cost savings here but also simple good engineering. 3 studs is the minimum to both simultaneously prevent any wobble and be strong enough for a wheel without the vehicle weight on it. 1 or 2 studs would probably meet the latter requirement but 3 stops any possible wobble from 2 lugs clamping in a line.

OP
OP
Parker0076

Parker0076

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
UPDATE…. After numerous car washes and multiple miles, all lugs are still there!

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
UPDATE…. After numerous car washes and multiple miles, all lugs are still there!
Glad for you and those following you. Any significant off roading?

Regardless, due to this thread, you already know something way better to use should the hot glue fail.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hot glue gun? Sounds like a kids school project. Don’t forget to add some glitter and macaroni.

As some others have pointed out, this doesn’t seem safe at all.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You realize that hot glue will re-melt when exposed to heat again, right? It doesn't set into a "permanent" adhesion like other glues (epoxy for example). Leave your bronco out in the sun on a warm day and watch the lug nuts fall off, potentially into a car behind you. It WILL get hot enough outside in the sunlight to do this. Terrible idea.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Still can’t figure out why they only put 3 lug nuts on the spare.
Because a spare tire only needs three bolts to hold it securely to the back of the Bronco. Same as every other SUV I’ve seen.