First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bummer. The Forscan beta seemed to have worked in that I was able to write to HVAC and enable Rear Defrost…but, it doesn’t appear to be heating up the rear defrost grid.

Next steps:
- FDRS?
- missing something in Forscan (going to dig into F150 spreadheet)
- replace HVAC Control ($$$)

Seems like a lot to go through for rear defrost - but, at this point I want to crack the code.

Edit: Just to have this all in one place. This is what I’ve done so far - to no avail:

- Installed wire assembly (M2DZ-15A657-A)
- Enabled ‘Rear Defrost’ in APIM and HVAC
- Enabled ‘Heated Mirror Output Relay’ in HVAC
- Changed APMI - 7D0-02-01 xxxx xxxA xxFE

Still nothing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I was one of the lucky few that got a Bronco last summer. Unfortunately this was before the hard top prep kit was a thing. I was doing my compressor install in the rear cubby I noticed a familiar looking plug and wires behind the driver side cargo panel.

IMG_2556.jpg

In a discussion of adding a hard top later @flip mentioned a part# I would be interested in. Fired up the google machine and found it as a wire assembly and $40. Eh, lets take a shot.

IMG_2555.jpg

Got a week or so later from Tasca.com and it appears to be what I'm looking for.

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Clicks right in and even has the wire retainer clips to mount in factory locations. Sweet!

IMG_2560.jpg

Now my hope is that the heated mirror switch on the HVAC controls will activate the rear defrost as the rear defrost button activates the heated mirrors on the vehicles with hard top or hard top prep kit, or at least be able to toggle on with forscan. I'll need to multimeter to check it out if its activating though. I hope this is the case as I looked at replacement HVAC control panel needed and it's $250 bucks. At that point I'll just tell the kids to hold their breath on those days.
I also noticed there is an extra washer hookup on mine. The front one t's off with one going to the front camera and the other to the windshield. If anyone can confirm the other goes the rear I would appreciate it.

IMG_2568.jpg
I can confirm the wiper washer line. Passenger frt. Fender feeds the washer line to the back from. The reservoir.

I capped mind an did a rear wiper delete.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can confirm the wiper washer line. Passenger frt. Fender feeds the washer line to the back from. The reservoir.

I capped mind an did a rear wiper delete.
What did you use to delete? I’ve been thinking of pulling mine - but, didn’t want some unfinished/something is missing look.

WOHORSEY

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All good. I’m gonna order that cord and I’ll report back.
I’m in the works of converting over to hard top with no prep kit did this end up working out and what was all needed to complete.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m in the works of converting over to hard top with no prep kit did this end up working out and what was all needed to complete.
Not yet…I think I need the HVAC controls which are like $350+. I’m planning on deleting the wiper and washer. I have no need for those. But, I’d like to get defrost going.

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also own an early editon, non-prep kit Bronco. Parts are on order from @MangoldFordParts to knock this out. Once I dive into this, I will try to document with pictures the routing and installation of the wiper hoses, electrical hook ups, and replacing the windshield wiper controls. Whether everything works after that will be TBD.

Here's the parts list put together by Bradley @MangoldFordParts that should make this functional.

Forscan, etc TBD

Ford Bronco DIY Hard Top prep kit Screenshot_20230513_215107_Adobe Acrobat

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also own an early editon, non-prep kit Bronco. Parts are on order from @MangoldFordParts to knock this out. Once I dive into this, I will try to document with pictures the routing and installation of the wiper hoses, electrical hook ups, and replacing the windshield wiper controls. Whether everything works after that will be TBD.

Here's the parts list put together by Bradley @MangoldFordParts that should make this functional.

Forscan, etc TBD

Ford Bronco DIY Hard Top prep kit Screenshot_20230513_215107_Adobe Acrobat
They didn’t include the HVAC controls for rear defrost?

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They didn’t include the HVAC controls for rear defrost?
I have heated mirrors, so theres a button to heat those. My understanding, which could be flawed, is that the mirror button will also toggle the rear. I guess I will find out if the "R" label on the HVAC controls makes a difference!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have heated mirrors, so theres a button to heat those. My understanding, which could be flawed, is that the mirror button will also toggle the rear. I guess I will find out if the "R" label on the HVAC controls makes a difference!
So far, I haven’t had any luck. Harness is plugged in and I enabled everything I could find in Forscan. I may be missing a module.

Sponsored

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far, I haven’t had any luck. Harness is plugged in and I enabled everything I could find in Forscan. I may be missing a module.
Did you complete the PMI process for replacing the steering column control module? I'm curious if you'll get a parts mismatch error.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you complete the PMI process for replacing the steering column control module? I'm curious if you'll get a parts mismatch error.
I’m not concerned with the steering column controls. I just want defrost. I’m gonna delete wiper.

CDawg297!

Badlands
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was anyone able to confirm a list of parts needed to install an aftermarket hardtop. I am too in the same boat as many of you. I have an advanced fiber glass hardtop coming and didn’t realize you have to have the hardtop prep kit to install the top. I got my bronco built in July so I didn’t get he hard too prep kit. I dont really need the washer kit or defroster. I just want to know what other parts are needed to install the hardtop. Any info would be great! Thanks!

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Was anyone able to confirm a list of parts needed to install an aftermarket hardtop. I am too in the same boat as many of you. I have an advanced fiber glass hardtop coming and didn’t realize you have to have the hardtop prep kit to install the top. I got my bronco built in July so I didn’t get he hard too prep kit. I dont really need the washer kit or defroster. I just want to know what other parts are needed to install the hardtop. Any info would be great! Thanks!
For basic install - just the brackets on the roll bar. I’m sure you can ask ADV for the part numbers - I don’t have them off hand. I can dig them up.

Oh, and more of those TP50 bolts for the rear quarter/cap.

Otherwise, the parts for defrost are TBD. From my research, you need to replace the HVAC controls for the one with the rear defrost button.

CDawg297!

Badlands
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

went online and order the hard top brackets for ADV hardtop that is coming and the parts department contacted me and told me that the brackets are on Backorder and have no ETA when they will be available...........Seriously Ford! Come on!
Is there any other way to get these basic metal brackets!
Sponsored