Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I use my keypad to lock my key inside when I run or bike but didn't want the Bronco to start if someone got in. I also didn't want the key, my phone, or wallet to be found. I figured a criminal would go to the usual spots like center console, glove box, or under the seat. I had to remove the tailgate panel when I installed the spare reinforcement and knew there was room behind it. I removed the metal retaining clips being careful not to break the plastic, added some industrial velcro, and I had an easy on/easy off tailgate panel. I already owned a waterproof Pelican 1040 for paddleboarding, and it fit perfectly in the void. Using Ronin Factory magnets, 3M super strength molding tape, and metal plates I was able to secure the Pelican. It is very secure and perfectly fits my Magpul wallet, my phone, and the key in a faraday pouch that keeps the Bronco from starting even though the key is inside. A bonus was that the Ronin magnets are strong enough to hold other "heavier items" very securely as well as seen in the pictures. If anybody needs any more details just let me know

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 20230616_162347

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 20230616_165711

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 20230616_165109

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 20230616_165037

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 20230616_174504

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 20230616_165346

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 20230616_165639

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 20230616_165430
Sponsored

Last edited:

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ingenious! Some people rely on the numeric remote strip, depending on your model. In another thread somebody suggested relocating the to inside the fuel cover. I just might do that.

Your illustration of the "heavier object" is well taken, but in many states that would be insufficient, so check the statues where you do this. My state requires a solid locking mechanism or container, not shown in your picture. Perhaps a skinny lock box could squeeze in there? Or would a trigger lock be sufficient?

Research your state laws, and consider consulting with a sergeant or detective (or above) in your local jurisdiction.

I installed the Tuffy/OEM lockable drawer box, which is roomy, strong--and legal.

OP
OP
GucciFreshness

GucciFreshness

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ingenious! Some people rely on the numeric remote strip, depending on your model. In another thread somebody suggested relocating the to inside the fuel cover. I just might do that.

Your illustration of the "heavier object" is well taken, but in many states that would be insufficient, so check the statues where you do this. My state requires a solid locking mechanism or container, not shown in your picture. Perhaps a skinny lock box could squeeze in there? Or would a trigger lock be sufficient?

Research your state laws, and consider consulting with a sergeant or detective (or above) in your local jurisdiction.

I installed the Tuffy/OEM lockable drawer box, which is roomy, strong--and legal.
I have the keypad. That is how I lock it after putting the key in the box and unlock it when I come back.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the keypad. That is how I lock it after putting the key in the box and unlock it when I come back.
You're probably okay. Was that a barrel lock I saw? Two levels of lock: the doors, electronically, and a trigger or muzzle lock should be evidence of due diligence in most states.

A thought: be alert to anybody observing you as you secrete or retrieve your items there, especially if they're 1) watching you overtly 2) behaving suspiciously, and especially 3) approaching you. After entering your code, consider walking clockwise (the long way) around the truck, checking for potential trouble-makers. My fear is that a bad party might see me put my valuables there, then wait for my return.

Sponsored

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You're probably okay. Was that a barrel lock I saw? Two levels of lock: the doors, electronically, and a trigger or muzzle lock should be evidence of due diligence in most states.

A thought: be alert to anybody observing you as you secrete or retrieve your items there, especially if they're 1) watching you overtly 2) behaving suspiciously, and especially 3) approaching you. After entering your code, consider walking clockwise (the long way) around the truck, checking for potential trouble-makers. My fear is that a bad party might see me put my valuables there, then wait for my return.
That is the thread protector for the threaded barrel for a suppressor.

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I needed to be able to lock my key inside when I run or bike but didn't want the Bronco to start if someone got in. I also didn't want the key, my phone, or wallet to be found. I figured a criminal would go to the usual spots like center console, glove box, or under the seat. I had to remove the tailgate panel when I installed the spare reinforcement and knew there was room behind it. I removed the metal retaining clips being careful not to break the plastic, added some industrial velcro, and I had an easy on/easy off tailgate panel. I already owned a waterproof Pelican 1040 for paddleboarding, and it fit perfectly in the void. Using Ronin Factory magnets, 3M super strength molding tape, and metal plates I was able to secure the Pelican. It is very secure and perfectly fits my Magpul wallet, my phone, and the key in a faraday pouch that keeps the Bronco from starting even though the key is inside. A bonus was that the Ronin magnets are strong enough to hold other "heavier items" very securely as well as seen in the pictures. If anybody needs any more details just let me know

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 1686963946928

Ford Bronco DIY solution! Locking my key inside Bronco when I run or bike 1686963946928

I have been scoping out the front door panels. From what I Have seen in taking the front doors apart there is a 8”x 8” x 2” deep pocket of usable space on each door. Some creative kick panels with fingerprint locks……

dbeatty65

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 & Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I needed to be able to lock my key inside when I run or bike but didn't want the Bronco to start if someone got in. I also didn't want the key, my phone, or wallet to be found. I figured a criminal would go to the usual spots like center console, glove box, or under the seat. I had to remove the tailgate panel when I installed the spare reinforcement and knew there was room behind it. I removed the metal retaining clips being careful not to break the plastic, added some industrial velcro, and I had an easy on/easy off tailgate panel. I already owned a waterproof Pelican 1040 for paddleboarding, and it fit perfectly in the void. Using Ronin Factory magnets, 3M super strength molding tape, and metal plates I was able to secure the Pelican. It is very secure and perfectly fits my Magpul wallet, my phone, and the key in a faraday pouch that keeps the Bronco from starting even though the key is inside. A bonus was that the Ronin magnets are strong enough to hold other "heavier items" very securely as well as seen in the pictures. If anybody needs any more details just let me know

Why not just by the safe for it like I do for all my trucks?

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Posted on a public forum... good thing thieves don't have the internet, right?

. . . be alert to anybody observing you as you secrete or retrieve your items there . . .
As you do what with your items? 😁 Your use of the less popular definition of the word has me feeling very gay indeed.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tuffy should take note and create a locking door insert that uses that exact space

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

ssstang67

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 & 2011 Mustang 2012 F-150 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tuffy should take note and create a locking door insert that uses that exact space
Some company already has something for this area but it's like $400. Safe for console and that special bag for key so signal from key is blocked. No one can watch you do all this walking around and going into special compartments. Simpler is better!!
Sponsored