Sponsored

Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares?

CarbonGrayBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back in the 90's and 2000's, there were definitely a few precincts around the Pittsburgh area that were known to give tickets for "illegal equipment" such as tint on front windows, tires sticking out, exhaust too loud, illegal lighting, etc. It was a pure money grab and one precinct eventually got disbanded because of it. (Kilbuck Twp.)

My best friend in HS had a 1977 Scout and we got pulled over driving around one night because his taillights "weren't red enough." Apparently they had faded over time and the cop used that as an excuse. He gave him a warning and he had to replace the lenses and go to the police department to prove that he had done so.
Started reading the first paragraph and thought 'I bet it's Kilbuck'...they were notorious for BS stops.
Sponsored

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I fully support one of the few laws that corrects the problem of trucks "looking dumb." Now if we can just do something about Monster Energy stickers and rubber duckies... 😂 😬

I've said it elsewhere on this forum, but trucks shouldn't look like this:

Ford Bronco Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares? Skate

Last edited:
OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'10 Escape, '16 Explorer, '22 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it violates the law, there is a reason the law was passed. Don't throw rocks or presume a ticket is written solely to generate revenue, your better than that.
Legit point on rocks being thrown, but PA is the only state that does not allow you to take doors off, so I don't buy laws (all laws that is) are passed for a reason. PA states driving without doors is dangerous in a crash so that is banned, but PA allows you to drive a motorcycle without a helmet. Many laws make no sense. Just compare PA to NJ on gun laws. One lets you own handgun easily. The other it is just about impossible to own a handgun. Both states can't be right.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not saying this is wrong, but am saying I'm not surprised.
I know. I also wrote speeders doing 30 over on the Supeslab, 20 over on surface streets, blue headlights…

I also had my windshield broken in New Mexico by a Jeep poke mobile coming towards me no other traffic

Sponsored
OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think you are missing something, officers must have probable cause to pull someone over.
Actually, cops only need reasonable suspicion to pull you over (can the cop articulate specific facts you have violated the motor vehicle code or otherwise committed a crime). Probable cause is needed to arrest but can also be used to pull you over. To your point, driving properly within the confines of the law is neither reasonable suspicion nor probable cause to pull you over, is a violation of your 4A right against an unreasonable seizure, and will get a DUI/drug running/whatever thrown out as no legal cause to pull you over - assuming the judge is honest and follows the law.

Last edited:

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree tires should not stick out from flares too much, but if you upgrade a BD to 285 they will stick out a half an inch on BD 265 flares. I don't see a prob with that, but a cop driving revenue could.
285/75R17 on my Black Diamond with stock flares and stock wheels.
Ford Bronco Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares? 1706545772335

Stomper

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I knew a guy who got pulled over several times just because they wanted to find a reason to seize his truck. They actually told him this on one occasion. They never got the truck but did charge him with misdemeanor resisting arrest one time, which is a counter intuitive offense when they didnt have a basis to arrest him. Got dropped, but still…

OP
OP
FordFamily4Fun

FordFamily4Fun

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Anybody pulled over by cops for tires poking out from fender flares? 1706545772335
Looks great! And I assume no poke but can't really tell from pic. Any other mods - lift/spacers/remove crash bars?

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1706545772335.jpeg
Looks awesome.

There is no way this is getting pulled over for illegal poke. Unless something else is happening that raises suspicion.

Sponsored

BluebroncoNC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco & 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In North Carolina:

Does this include the last time I had to stop to show drivers license in the middle of a country road or a "DUI" check point i stopped for after leaving a "Thirsty Thursday" minor league game?

Now, I have not been bothered by poke (I do not have any or well, just a bit), but I did have an officer tell me on my lifted '77 the bumpers can not be higher than 30" above the pavement.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yes it became a point of emphasis and enforced around here a couple years ago, finally. Has nothing to do with revenue and everything to do with assholes breaking windshields. Ticket will be dismissed if you rectify the infraction. Insurance interest groups actually drive a lot of laws like this.

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not doubting you but ...... officer must have a valid reason to believe that a driver has violated the law

Zero Options

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not a lawyer, but I beleive at least in CT, that the tread must be covered. I've got the sidewall poking out on my base (285/70-17 KO2s on 30mm offset RTR wheels) so I think I am technically legal, at least in CT. Doesn't really seem to matter here though; there are Jeeps and Broncos everywhere with inches of tread poke or no flares at all that seem to be left alone.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If only I could remove my flares 🤪