Sponsored

Why is ford recommending that we over inflate our tires.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm satisfied with the ride/handling running the 35" Territories at 36psi on 17x8 wheels. I don't want to go too high in psi and end up with excessive wear on the center tread.

Regarding checking tread wear pattern, chalk didn't work so well, was kind of hard to see and brushed off quick. What about rolling over a line of white paint, to make a line on the tread? Then over several miles see how it wears off. It would look odd but might give a clearer indication of wear pattern?
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The short answer is that you aren't running at maximum load.

You should be running at vehicle manufacture's recommended pressure which is 39psi.

If that's not clear enough then run whatever you want. The tires are cheap, right?
Yes, if you don't run 39 psi, the sky will fall and your tires will fail prematurely...

🤣😂🤣😂🤣

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm satisfied with the ride/handling running the 35" Territories at 36psi on 17x8 wheels. I don't want to go too high in psi and end up with excessive wear on the center tread.

Regarding checking tread wear pattern, chalk didn't work so well, was kind of hard to see and brushed off quick. What about rolling over a line of white paint, to make a line on the tread? Then over several miles see how it wears off. It would look odd but might give a clearer indication of wear pattern?
Try spraying down the tire w/ water then drive on dry surface. I just spray mine down and drive a few rotations onto my garage floor (concrete).

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am always been curious with tire pressures and the newer Ford Bronco. Interesting that the Sasquatch Tire recommended tire pressure is 35psi and Ford recommends 39psi.

I look at most other Broncos and I see the outside of the tread has Not been in contact with the ground while being driven. Maybe up to an inch or so on both sides is not touching. This is evidence of too much air pressure and not an optimum Tire Contact Patch.

I paid for the whole tire and plan to use the whole tire. I have been running 32/30 psi (TPMS Threshold lowered to 25psi) on all of my Broncos with No issues. There is a full contact patch on the road and a great ride.

Run whatever psi you want on your Bronco.

Last edited:

FilmcoBronci

Black Diamond
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 6G
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The answer to the question of why Ford is recommending a higher psi is to improve fuel economy.

it will yield a rougher ride, but they know you are already going to be not happy with the economy, so they figure if they can squeeze another one mpg it might keep one or two of you from moaning. .
This is the answer.
ha. Not sure why it was so hard. :p

Devilbrad

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrack. 2017 Challenger Hellcat.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am always been curious with tire pressures and the newer Ford Bronco. Interesting that the Sasquatch Tire recommended tire pressure is 35psi and Ford recommends 39psi.

I look at most other Broncos and I see the outside of the tread has Not been in contact with the ground while being driven. Maybe up to an inch or so on both sides is not touching. This is evidence of too much air pressure and not an optimum Tire Contact Patch.

I paid for the whole tire and plan to use the whole tire. I have been running 32/30 psi (TPMS Threshold lowered to 25psi) on all of my Broncos with No issues. There is a full contact patch on the road and a great ride.

Run whatever psi you want on your Bronco.
This is exactly what I have noticed on my own Bronco. I installed the lift kit and 37" Yokohamas set to factory 39 psi. On the 13 mile ride home it scared the crap out of me. Was like riding on roller blade wheels. I did a chalk test and found I was only getting about 4" of contact patch across the 10" of thread. I have since dropped it to 35 psi but it's still only getting 60% contact. I'm just gonna drop them to 30psi and see what happens, LOL In my old street racing days we would air up the tires, do a burnout, and check the pattern it left. Adjust accordingly. This is a perfect example. The right side tire is obviously under inflated.

istockphoto-1175252444-612x612.jpg
Sponsored