Sponsored

Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels?

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well everyone says the tires aren't that great offroad. Good news is I'm pretty new to offroad so to me they seem to be working really well. Cool to know there are even better options but, since I don't know what I'm missing I've been really happy.
I think it depends heavily on the model Bronco and the type of off-roading. Outer Banks is the least off-road ready. But it’s not meant to be. It’s the mall crawler of the line-up. Badlands is the most capable and the KO2s will do just about everything asked of them. In the middle are Black Diamond and Big Bend, which can certainly do overlanding and graded trails or rocky roads, but not more aggressive stuff. Of course, the Sasquatch tires are the same across the line and are capable of a lot, too.
Sponsored

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it depends heavily on the model Bronco and the type of off-roading. Outer Banks is the least off-road ready. But it’s not meant to be. It’s the mall crawler of the line-up. Badlands is the most capable and the KO2s will do just about everything asked of them. In the middle are Black Diamond and Big Bend, which can certainly do overlanding and graded trails or rocky roads, but not more aggressive stuff. Of course, the Sasquatch tires are the same across the line and are capable of a lot, too.
I'm on the Sasquatch tires. Haven't done anything insane but they've been pretty good on muddy logging roads and some, not as intense as the West Coast or south west, maine rocks. Sounds like the KO2s are better but that the stocks Sasquatch ones aren't necessarily bad

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm on the Sasquatch tires. Haven't done anything insane but they've been pretty good on muddy logging roads and some, not as intense as the West Coast or south west, maine rocks. Sounds like the KO2s are better but that the stocks Sasquatch ones aren't necessarily bad
I think the majority of gripes were the Sasquatch Goodyears flinging rocks for the first 10k miles. Some gripes about getting flats too easily, but it’s hard to say whether that was just bad luck, not airing down properly for the terrain or whether the tires play any part. The Sas tires are good rock crawlers, too. (And some people aren’t big fans of the KO2s and prefer other brand options.) I’ve been happy with the KO2s though I do run a street-oriented all-terrain tire for my daily driving (to preserve mileage in the KO2s). I swap back to the Badlands wheels and KO2s when we go off-roading.

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the majority of gripes were the Sasquatch Goodyears flinging rocks for the first 10k miles. Some gripes about getting flats too easily, but it’s hard to say whether that was just bad luck, not airing down properly for the terrain or whether the tires play any part. The Sas tires are good rock crawlers, too. (And some people aren’t big fans of the KO2s and prefer other brand options.) I’ve been happy with the KO2s though I do run a street-oriented all-terrain tire for my daily driving (to preserve mileage in the KO2s). I swap back to the Badlands wheels and KO2s when we go off-roading.
Well you're definitely not wrong about the rocks lol

So far I've only ever had to put air in them after airing them down for a trail. They've been holding air really well for a couple years now

Griffstar07

Base
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base, Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have kept the steel wheels and tires that came on my base. I didn’t want to look like everyone else who put bigger tires on theirs. It works really well in snow and slippery conditions. i didn’t seen the point of throwing away perfectly good tires. When these wear out I will probably upgrade. I went rock climbing and they worked just fine.
Ford Bronco Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels? IMG_3945

Sponsored

Jmanly

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the stock Badlands wheels. I put the Kenda 35 10.50 17 tires on them. Fits perfectly, no rub. No poke. Looks great and these tires are awesome on and off road.
Ford Bronco Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels? 1000001468

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn‘t want my bronco lifted as it’s an everyday driver and I needed max gas mileage… so I actually like the look of the tires it came with. That being said I see tons of posts of people wanting to sell the oem and not being able to get much for them because none of you want them.

Questions - why don’t people like them?

When I need new tires I should probably look to buy some from all of you that want to ditch them rather than pay $1,200 at a tire store, correct?

Thank you for input.
i love my sas factory wheels people change them because they can and have the money
same for all the other cosmetics that dont make a better 0 to 60 lol or better off roader

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have kept the steel wheels and tires that came on my base. I didn’t want to look like everyone else who put bigger tires on theirs. It works really well in snow and slippery conditions. i didn’t seen the point of throwing away perfectly good tires. When these wear out I will probably upgrade. I went rock climbing and they worked just fine.
Ford Bronco Why don’t people like the OEM tires/wheels? 1000001468
your steelies are beautiful just get bigger aggressive rubber

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IMG_3945.jpeg
I absolutely love the steel wheels. They just make it look classic and hard working

Also little wheel big rubber is always best on an offroader.

Last edited:

65CarryAll

Heritage
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last 2 door Blazer (ZR2)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I lot of the reason people want to change stuff (not just wheels) is just to make it different. I've noticed this long ago in any enthusiast auto group. The "different" doesn't always look or perform better.

Back on the ZR2 forum swapping to white turn signal lens was all the rage. Never mind the original amber ones looked better, white was different! Had the trucks originally come with white I'm 100% convinced that swapping to amber would have been all the rage. :LOL:

Sponsored

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love my BL rims, if I had the $$&, powder coat them

just Im going to 35’s eventually, so doubt it’ll work

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The short answer is aesthetics and/or performance.

More perplexing is why you would bother buying a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick and then fret about MPG’s? Does this have a meaningful impact in your life?

TX-Dennis

Wildtrak
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Had nearly 10,000 miles on the Territories on my Base before it was wrecked. I found them very good on dry and wet pavement, acceptable on light snow, and very good for the type of "offroading" that I do. I'm not a hardcore rock crawler, but I took the Base on NPS and NFS roads a few times with good results.

Thus, I plan to keep the OEM Territories on my WildTrak until they are close to worn out. Then I will likely replace them with something else or I might even decide to replace them with like tires if I continue to have a great experience with those. Yes, they do sling rocks badly for the first few thousand miles, but after that they seem to settle down a bit (and become somewhat louder on pavement.)

I'm not getting any younger, and the last time I had to change a nearly 100 lb. 10 ply tire & wheel combo on a Jeep was a struggle. Got it done, but I would prefer to keep whatever I wind up with a bit lighter if possible.

Jmanly

Badlands
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Kenda 35 10.50's are perfect on the stock BL wheels. See my Pic a couple of posts up.

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Discount Tire has 5 tires in 35x11.5x17 that will work.
Sponsored