First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed the weight difference in the Mickey T Baja Boss AT, D rated vs E rated is one pound.
Any of you actually look at these together to know where the difference is.
1 pound could make a difference....but it would be small.
The stock BFG 285/70R17 tires on my Badlands are 51# each, some of the replacement tires I looked at were in the 62-72# range. I would expect 10-20# per tire to make a noticeable difference. The factory 315/70R17 Sasquatch Goodyear’s are very light for their size.
Sponsored

AK Stable

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, 2002 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking to replace my SAS tires and take advantage of Black Friday sales. What did you buy and why?

Searched and read the threads, seen the pics, I see the models people are installing but I don't see the reasoning.
Tires will really depend on type of driving and terrain. I run summer tires and winter tires. In winter in Alaska I like studded tires (personal choice would be nokian hakapallita lt3 ) summer I'm going with Cooper sst pros. Your type of driving should really determine your tire.

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tires will really depend on type of driving and terrain. I run summer tires and winter tires. In winter in Alaska I like studded tires (personal choice would be nokian hakapallita lt3 ) summer I'm going with Cooper sst pros. Your type of driving should really determine your tire.
I agree with you, was wanting a good (the best) all around tire so the Bronco is getting the Baja ATs next Tuesday, they finally arrived! Rockslide Eng. steps show up any day now, then I'll feel ready to take the Bronco out to play and not get trashed.

Even though I live in WA now, I still have summer/winter tires for my truck, put the winter on the stock rims and the summer on aftermarket rims. 3500HD Crew long bed Chevy, Goodyear Wrangler ATs in the summer and winter I run studless Toyo Open Country G-02 Plus (amazing on ice/snow). We have to drive way too many miles on pavement to go snowmobiling (1.5hr minimum each way) so studless makes more sense here.

OP
OP
akturbo

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The stock BFG 285/70R17 tires on my Badlands are 51# each, some of the replacement tires I looked at were in the 62-72# range. I would expect 10-20# per tire to make a noticeable difference. The factory 315/70R17 Sasquatch Goodyear’s are very light for their size.
I'll take the rotating weight penalty any day to have tires that have traction.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll take the rotating weight penalty any day to have tires that have traction.
Depending on the conditions it may be a necessary trade off, but there is a penalty.

Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I raced bicycles some about 100 years ago. Rotating weight was killer compared to non rotating weight. The most noticable time is in acceleration.

I'm hoping Ford did Sasquatch buyers right with the differential gearing being set for bigger tires. Also, The extra torque of the 2.7 will also those who mount heavier tires. I sure hope it is enough.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven’t bought anything for my Badlands yet, but there are some criteria I‘ll look for when I do.

C load range - many here are going with D or E rated tires, the Bronco isn’t heavy enouh to make those tires flex properly to give proper grip offroad. E rated tires are usually heavier than C. Someone will surely chime in telling me that E rated tires ride great on their Bronco. That’s great if you’re happy with them but the last time I put E rated tires on anything lighter than a 3/4 ton truck they spoiled the ride and handling of the truck.

Tire weight - lighter is better to reduce rotating mass. Heavier tires take more power to get going and more brake to stop. Lighter wheels are also a good idea. I haven’t driven a Bronco yet, but I would think my small displacement 4 cylinder won’t respond well to a really heavy tire.

Tread pattern - I want something aggressive looking but with decent road manners. The BFG AT or Falken Wildpeak AT3W do a good job in the looks vs road manners department. I would love to run a Goodyear MT/R (available in 35x12.5R17 in C load) for looks, but I couldn’t live with them daily.

Considering these criteria, the only real choice for me in 315/70R17 (other than the stock Goodyear rock thrower superleggera at 52 pounds) is the BFG AT that they use on the Raptor. Unfortunately they are 62 pounds, so heavier than the Goodyear rock throwers. If you want to go up to a 37” the BFG’s off the new Raptor are C load and relatively light at 65#.

Here is everything I can find in a ~35” and C load rated.

BFG KO2 315/70R17, 62#
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=17TR7KO2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Toyo R/T 315/70R17, 66#
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Open+Country+R/T&partnum=17SR7OCRT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Toyo Open Country MT 315/70R17, 77#
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/toyo-tire-open-country-m-t/p/39609

General Grabber X3 35x12.5R17 , 65#
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...GRX3RLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Goodyear MT/R 35x12.5R17, 64#
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+MT/R+with+Kevlar&partnum=525QR7WMTRK&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Nitto Trail Grappler MT 35x11.5R17, 73#
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-trail-grappler-m-t/p/36633

Kenda lever R/t 35x10.5R17, 73#
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/buy-wheel-offset2/KEN601015/kenda-klever-r-t-35x1050r17-tires

BFG KO2 37x12.5R17, 65#
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2/p/104136
What are your thought son the Ridge Grappler? Thanks.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I immediately replaced my SAS tires with 35/12.50/17 Baja Boss tires and love them so far. I was not a fan of the look of the standard tire and saw a few pictures of the tires on high mileage test mule Broncos and I was not a fan of they way there were wearing. The Baja boss I believe has a 50k tread life warranty if I remember correctly.
FD9B68C2-21C8-4F16-8156-841D25CC87B9.jpeg
Wow! They look nice. I never thought about Micky Thompson as I've heard more about the Nitto Ridge grapplers as being a really good tire. Now you got me thinking. How do they ride and sound on road?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are your thought son the Ridge Grappler? Thanks.
The Ridge Grappler was not as noisy on the truck as I thought it might be for how aggressive they look. I have three buddy’s with them on their trucks, a Jeep Wrangler , F-250, and Ford Expedition. They ride stiff on the Jeep. The 315/70R17 is E rated and 69#, so I wouldn’t choose them for a Bronco.

Sponsored

BoatMan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Has anyone checked out tires in either the 285/70R17 or 285/75R17? The Stock Good Year is too wide to do a good job in ice, snow and slush. I'll either keep them for a summer tire, or....

The Cooper Discover AT3 S in a 285/70R17 is a decent all terrain tire with a severe snow rating and it comes in at 45#. I'm looking at this tire along with a lighter wheel for my winter tires. Total weight lost per tire is 17.5#. I just hope it looks good on a Sasquatch.

If I decide to ditch the stock rock throwers, I may look at a 285/75R17.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with the Toyo Open Country AT 3's.
Second choice were Mickey T's Baja Boss AT's. But they didn't have a size and load rating I liked.
34 or 35 inch tires is what I wanted.
285/75-17 C
35 x 11.5 -17 C
First choice was the 285/75, but the 35's happened to pop up as "5 in stock" at Summit, so I jumped all over them!
Frack waiting until March!!!
I JUST got them delivered yesterday, still waiting on wheels.

Why these ....
The 285/11.2"/11.5" vs 12.5" ... I just think the 11.5" class tire will work better for daily duties than a 12.5" or 315mm. Height is what you need most off road, for clearance.

solid reputation was key in all tire considerations. My life experience has taught me that cheap tires never really pay off .... nothing but trouble and I drive too much for that.

tread pattern - more siping helps on slick winter roads, so the little zigzags are what I was looking at on all the tires.

3PMSF rating - can't hurt, BUT .... Tire rack has had non-rated tires perform better than rated ones though, so tread pattern and tire materials become far more important. Just because they are not rated does NOT mean they failed. They just didn't pay for the testing to earn the stamp.

Load Range C - My co-worker with a 4Runner disliked his E rated tires due to the stiffness of the ride. Went with Baja Boss 33x12.5 -17 (NOT AT) , the Mud terrains .... D rated, they ride better but the MT's are LOUD as hell. He is over all unhappy with that. He bought them while he was amped up for an upcoming Colorado trailing trip. Now he has to live with them for awhile. LOL

Load range C , I am GUESSING will be somewhat more durable than SL rated tires, and the places I have to park for work, I'll appreciate any additional puncture resistance.

5 foot of tires:
Ford Bronco New Tires - What did you buy and why? 1639614704175

LOL!
Ford Bronco New Tires - What did you buy and why? 1639614762309

Ford Bronco New Tires - What did you buy and why? 1639614787275

Ford Bronco New Tires - What did you buy and why? 1639614837919

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just changed my order from the the Toyo AT3 - 35/11.5 to the 285/75 which shaves off 0.6" in diameter. Width is only 0.1" narrower - but 4 lbs lighter and saved over $200 on the set of 5. I am doing SAS-Bilstein to get the 1.1" lift...don't have a desire to add spacers. Hoping this combo avoids any rubbing.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put KO2’s on last week, after 5k miles the good years were already noisy and had lots of “micro” vibration, like from the tread blocks. They’d been rotated at 2k.

The KO’s are also C range, but a bit heavier. No noticeable difference in acceleration. They did not balance as well as the Goodyears, I’m still working on that.

the main reason to replace was the rock tossing. These hold/throw at least 80% less stones, and shed what they do grab at much lower speed.

I spent all day yesterday in legitimate off road conditions of wet sandy clay and gravel and had excellent traction over rocks and through mud.

PS I hate mud flaps but will be getting some. They will pay for themselves in clean up time alone. Also, love the quick release flares. They hold lots of mud and it’s super easy to pop them off and clean them up.

Ford Bronco New Tires - What did you buy and why? 32BB024A-C4F0-43F6-AED4-A71849A03A88
Ford Bronco New Tires - What did you buy and why? B2D0B225-FE29-4675-B04A-593633DD9EE8
Ford Bronco New Tires - What did you buy and why? 0F858587-E299-491A-8329-269EEA51E3A7