Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like Ford updated the reservation process FAQ and added a product section
Link (Because navigating that site is miserable)?

Sponsored

Musclecarconvrt

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Bronco, 1969 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So GVWR does play a role in limiting factory accessories.
So the big question is, what will the GVWR be, and why would it be so low on a purpose built SUV that a roof rack and some bigger tires may be enough to tip the scales too far?

OP
OP
Boxer4

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
So the big question is, what will the GVWR be, and why would it be so low on a purpose built SUV that a roof rack and some bigger tires may be enough to tip the scales too far?
Not to go to far down the rabbit hole- if you are denied a factory accessory , such as a roof rack, when added later is that an aftermarket item that changes the warranty or worse liability? So does purpose built mean either /or- is Ford saying you can go rock climbing OR camping ( roof hauling ) - pick a trim.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We can all agree that Ford built the Bronco tough. But they are still trying to compete in the mid-size SUV market. They have a small tank that they have already lightened the load by using aluminum body panels. Buyer's need to accept that there are weight differences with each option and accessory. The 2-dr is lighter than the 4-dr. The 2.3L is lighter than the 2.7L. The standard tires are lighter than SAS package tires. etc.

Musclecarconvrt

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Bronco, 1969 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We can all agree that Ford built the Bronco tough. But they are still trying to compete in the mid-size SUV market. They have a small tank that they have already lightened the load by using aluminum body panels. Buyer's need to accept that there are weight differences with each option and accessory. The 2-dr is lighter than the 4-dr. The 2.3L is lighter than the 2.7L. The standard tires are lighter than SAS package tires. etc.
I don't doubt it will be a seriously capable rig and I am excited about getting one. It's just that I already own one more than 30 years old and will be able to tow more with it than a brand new one. Seems like a step back.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not to go to far down the rabbit hole- if you are denied a factory accessory , such as a roof rack, when added later is that an aftermarket item that changes the warranty or worse liability? So does purpose built mean either /or- is Ford saying you can go rock climbing OR camping ( roof hauling ) - pick a trim.
I would think so that the GVWR has to deal with safety. When Ford delivers a vehicle from the factory, there is liability on their part that the vehicle is safe. If Ford allowed a vehicle to be maxed out with weight and then the vehicle is unable to brake at a safe distance, then Ford could be held liable for delivering a death trap.

Buyer's need to accept that Ford will not be held liable for delivering a 4-dr, 2.7L, SAS, RTT, etc. We already have read comments where driver's have no experience driving 35" tires. They want SAS for the "look and stance". But they also fail to realize that it takes longer stopping distance.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Two things I noticed

1. It says painted tops for late 2021. Didn’t this used to say black tops only and white tops 22? Or was that from a different piece of literature. Could mean white tops have moved up the list

2. This whole GVWR doesn’t make sense. A non sasquatched 2.7L badlands can’t have headliner but a 2.7 OBX can? So some of the off roading bits and tires 1” bigger really break the threshold for no headliner?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't doubt it will be a seriously capable rig and I am excited about getting one. It's just that I already own one more than 30 years old and will be able to tow more with it than a brand new one. Seems like a step back.
The towing capacity as a separate issue, I can agree that it is limited. Is the limit imposed to limit Ford's liability? I think it should and will easily tow more.

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two things I noticed

2. This whole GVWR doesn’t make sense. A non sasquatched 2.7L badlands can’t have headliner but a 2.7 OBX can? So some of the off roading bits and tires 1” bigger really break the threshold for no headliner?
GVWR is a safe operating limit for the vehicle fully loaded. The 4dr's GVW Rating has to include allowances for 5 adults, full fuel tank and cargo. Longer body, 2 additional doors, bigger block engine with heavier automatic transmission, more suspension parts, bigger tires, etc. all add up. The roof rack itself may not tip the scales, but it enables the huge overlanding storage racks and cargo they imply. That may be the issue.

As for the sound-deadening and paint protection.... who frigging knows?

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Two things I noticed

1. It says painted tops for late 2021. Didn’t this used to say black tops only and white tops 22? Or was that from a different piece of literature. Could mean white tops have moved up the list

The body colored tops was always an OBX item from day 1. Some had accepted having the ridiculous painted flares/mirrors and 18" pizza-cutter wheels just to have an Oxford White body matched roof.

Other option restrictions obviously have nothing to do with GVWR. Some are likely bugs in the B/P and other restrictions are to have buyer's move up in trims and option packages.
Sponsored