OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Weird. It's almost like they didn't design this specifically for you.
I don't think hoping it closely mirrored a past bronco is all that big of an ask.

Wish they kept the current bronco to be like the original and the bronco II and then built a full size to be like the the ones in the 80s/90s. Would build on the Bronco's history and give those of us that want a bit more of a do it all utility vehicle (cargo space, towing and off-roader) a good option. Instead we got the bronco sport......
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only one I see as even a slim possibility is the Coyote, and then hidden behind some outrageously priced package wall.

Adding the 3.5 is far more likely.

Saleen is already planning to "do what they do" to the Bronco. With typical Saleen prices of course. Back seat delete is standard on the Saleen Mustangs, so expect that as well.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We tend to keep our vehicles a long time (decade plus). With the increase in competition (new four runner, jeep's response, bronco warthog and becoming its own "brand", electric vehicles, etc) I see us entering into a golden age of off-road competition. With that in mind, I'm not sure how long it may take to be realized and a bird in hand is better than two in the bush!

These are the Bronco updates that would probably make me kick myself for not waiting for. What would you say is the likelihood of any of these features being available in say the next 3-5 years:

Fold flat floor
Easily removeable rear seat
Tailgate
Non eco-boost engine (5.0 coyote, straight 6, mini pushrod 7.3)
Towing capacity of 5000 pounds or greater
Full size bronco

I hate compromising, especially at this price point, but also would hate to fruitlessly wait and miss out on years of topless fun and damn does the bronco look fun! I'm torn on waiting on practicality versus fun today!
This is a Full size Bronco so not sure what you mean and Ford going spend more time on making the Bronco some kind EV or hybrid before they add a coyote

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If only I had kept it! It was a beast.
I feel the same about my '79! I sold it long before there was real hope for the 6G, so I didn't even benefit from the Bronco fever price increases.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tahoe, Expedition, Durango are all “full size” SUVs. They have all had additional off road ability engineered in recently, but zero chance of a two door version any time soon. Hybrid? Yep, Performance version? Yep electric? Probably soon. The rest, not a chance.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think hoping it closely mirrored a past bronco is all that big of an ask.

Wish they kept the current bronco to be like the original and the bronco II and then built a full size to be like the the ones in the 80s/90s. Would build on the Bronco's history and give those of us that want a bit more of a do it all utility vehicle (cargo space, towing and off-roader) a good option. Instead we got the bronco sport......
While I'm not in the market for a sport, I'd say they did a good job with the design and so far they're selling well

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

5. The tow rating being 2500 pounds is really just sad. No excuse regardless of reason. I get they benchmarked a wrangler but no reason they couldn't have improved instead of met that figure. Plenty of vehicles with decent to good off-road suspensions have figured it out (4 runner, gladiator, etc). I'm not asking for 10k but 5k should be reasonable. Towing a light fishing boat shouldn't be too big of an ask.

6. The expedition is not what I'm looking for. Not off-road worthy at all. I know the government restrictions, cost and eating into their truck profit are likely all reasons but still think a full size bronco would be i Incredible and sell like crazy.
I've been trying the understand this "full sized" Bronco desire. Gen 2-5 Broncos were basically an F150 with a shortened wheelbase, a fully enclosed bed, and a second row seat. Similarly, the Expedition is an F150 with a fully enclosed bed. All that it is missing is the shortened wheel base. The Expedition is the current version of the Gen 2-5 Broncos although now only offered as a 4 door.

The Gen 6 Bronce goes back to something similar to Gen 1. As a former Gen 1 owner, I could never understand why Ford did away with the vehicle that I preferred.

I think there is some romanticizing about the offroad capabilities of Gen 2-5. From the factory, their capabilities were similar to the F150, and today, the Expedition has capabilities similar to the F150. Those remembering Gen 2-5 as an offroad beast are likely thinking of modified Broncos. Nothing is stopping you from modifying an Expedition, and some people are doing exactly that.

Tow rating is another area I wish people would stop bringing up. The Gen 6 Bronco is amazing off road. I'd hate to see the suspension get modified to increase towing capacity at the cost of off road capabilities. If you need to tow a larger trailer, Ford has other vehicles for that. I'm also guessing there will be some after market options to add stiffer springs to increase load capacity.

The is nothing wrong with wanting a modern version of the Gen 2-5 Bronco. if that your thing, please leave the Gen 6 alone and start lobbing Ford to build a 2 door Expedition.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
While I'm not in the market for a sport, I'd say they did a good job with the design and so far they're selling well
I watched three go out the door while shopping for an F-150 last weekend. They are indeed moving quickly. But no stick-shift, no interest from me.

OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's not lobbying against the current, actually elated it's here. But I do believe that there is room for a full size as well. I would gladly give up a small bit of off-road prowess for increased cargo space and towing capacity, that is much more practical for many. Think raptor vs wrangler. The big Bronco would be the raptor do it all suv equivalent and the current 6g would be the wrangler off-road focused equivalent. Don't see why there can't be both under the bronco brand, especially seeing how there is room for the sport.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Full sized is absolutely in the works. Only thing that will stop it’s release is if the compact and midsize bomb, killing the brand. Or $5 gal gas again.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Full sized is absolutely in the works. Only thing that will stop it’s release is if the compact and midsize bomb.
Do you know this for a fact? Because I honestly would buy a midsize for fun if it meant I could buy a full size for the rest of my uses!

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you know this for a fact? Because I honestly would buy a midsize for fun if it meant I could buy a full size for the rest of my uses!
It’s in the works, along with a few others under the Bronco family. What gets released first and when I don’t know. But it’s in the works. Hopefully makes it to market I will be first in line.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tahoe, Expedition, Durango are all “full size” SUVs. They have all had additional off road ability engineered in recently, but zero chance of a two door version any time soon. Hybrid? Yep, Performance version? Yep electric? Probably soon. The rest, not a chance.
Tahoe and expedition are both IRS now and that makes them a no go for off-roading. The Durango is unibody and IRS basically a minivan with correct wheel drive. Who cares about any off-road package when they can’t even get the basics right?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been trying the understand this "full sized" Bronco desire. Gen 2-5 Broncos were basically an F150 with a shortened wheelbase, a fully enclosed bed, and a second row seat. Similarly, the Expedition is an F150 with a fully enclosed bed. All that it is missing is the shortened wheel base. The Expedition is the current version of the Gen 2-5 Broncos although now only offered as a 4 door.

The Gen 6 Bronce goes back to something similar to Gen 1. As a former Gen 1 owner, I could never understand why Ford did away with the vehicle that I preferred.

I think there is some romanticizing about the offroad capabilities of Gen 2-5. From the factory, their capabilities were similar to the F150, and today, the Expedition has capabilities similar to the F150. Those remembering Gen 2-5 as an offroad beast are likely thinking of modified Broncos. Nothing is stopping you from modifying an Expedition, and some people are doing exactly that.

Tow rating is another area I wish people would stop bringing up. The Gen 6 Bronco is amazing off road. I'd hate to see the suspension get modified to increase towing capacity at the cost of off road capabilities. If you need to tow a larger trailer, Ford has other vehicles for that. I'm also guessing there will be some after market options to add stiffer springs to increase load capacity.

The is nothing wrong with wanting a modern version of the Gen 2-5 Bronco. if that your thing, please leave the Gen 6 alone and start lobbing Ford to build a 2 door Expedition.
For the towing problem, many of us on here have been advocating for a separate max tow package option that allows you to tow a modest hard walled trailer. Those who want that are willing to sacrifice some suspension softness and travel in our builds, while not affecting those who find that compromise to be unacceptable.
Sponsored