Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tahoe and expedition are both IRS now and that makes them a no go for off-roading. The Durango is unibody and IRS basically a minivan with correct wheel drive. Who cares about any off-road package when they can’t even get the basics right?
All three started as solid axle and the market moved to IRS. Bottom line, the market for "full size" SUVs similar to the 5G Bronco is to small to be profitable. I loved my 5G, but they went away, because the 2DR didn't sell, I don't see that changing. The 6G two door will sell in year 1 and 2 and then you will see them about as often as Jeep 2 doors. Who know's, maybe that will all change, but it seems unlikely.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
All three started as solid axle and the market moved to IRS. Bottom line, the market for "full size" SUVs similar to the 5G Bronco is to small to be profitable. I loved my 5G, but they went away, because the 2DR didn't sell, I don't see that changing. The 6G two door will sell in year 1 and 2 and then you will see them about as often as Jeep 2 doors. Who know's, maybe that will all change, but it seems unlikely.
Long ago (~15 years ago) full-size SUV prices were basically in line with full-size truck prices. Suburban, Excursion were both very tough trucks Excursion available with the 7.3/6.0/V10 the Suburban with the 6.0/8.1/6.5TD/7.4L they functioned as trucks with a covered area and the ability to hold 9 people. As an article from the 1980s said the Suburban was the ultimate Texas self made millionaires vehicle.

The market didn’t move to IRS, the manufacturers changed the demographic they marketed too and ostracized the traditional consumers for those vehicles.

Today the Suburban is nearly a pminivan no self respecting man would desire that places emphasis on frivolities and vanity.

Just give us a damn full-size truck based SUV with a sense of off-road capability - not necessarily suburban in size but K5/5G Bronco in size.

I love the new 6G Bronco and think it’s a huge step in the right direction but it’s the lone man out.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Long ago (~15 years ago) full-size SUV prices were basically in line with full-size truck prices. Suburban, Excursion were both very tough trucks Excursion available with the 7.3/6.0/V10 the Suburban with the 6.0/8.1/6.5TD/7.4L they functioned as trucks with a covered area and the ability to hold 9 people. As an article from the 1980s said the Suburban was the ultimate Texas self made millionaires vehicle.

The market didn’t move to IRS, the manufacturers changed the demographic they marketed too and ostracized the traditional consumers for those vehicles.

Today the Suburban is nearly a pminivan no self respecting man would desire that places emphasis on frivolities and vanity.

Just give us a damn full-size truck based SUV with a sense of off-road capability - not necessarily suburban in size but K5/5G Bronco in size.

I love the new 6G Bronco and think it’s a huge step in the right direction but it’s the lone man out.
I get that's what some people want, but the manufacturers do lot's or researching and testing. the market got rid of the Excursion, the market told the manufacturers that ride and handling was more important than off road articulation and ultimate durability, it wasn't the manufacturers wanting to add complication and expense in particular.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I get that's what some people want, but the manufacturers do lot's or researching and testing. the market got rid of the Excursion, the market told the manufacturers that ride and handling was more important than off road articulation and ultimate durability, it wasn't the manufacturers wanting to add complication and expense in particular.
Case and point my Borrego. It was a fantastic vehicle but released a little too late. The market had shifted and there was no desire for a rough riding V8 BOF SUV anymore.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I disagree, I feel manufacturers are ignoring ride quality which is another complaint of mine. Compare an 4th Gen Xreas 4Runner or a Lincoln town car suspension to anything today and you will see what I mean. It seems everything produced today has to have a sports car like ride quality even when they stuff it with some shitbox, Unsporty 2Liter engine.

Back when the Tahoe still has Solid rear axle, metal bumpers, hydraulic steering they were selling 250k units a year. I don’t think it even surpasses 80k/year last I checked. The market for decent SUVs is there and ready, and it seems the manufacturers are more focused on less profitable segments.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

T
I disagree, I feel manufacturers are ignoring ride quality which is another complaint of mine. Compare an 4th Gen Xreas 4Runner or a Lincoln town car suspension to anything today and you will see what I mean. It seems everything produced today has to have a sports car like ride quality even when they stuff it with some shitbox, Unsporty 2Liter engine.

Back when the Tahoe still has Solid rear axle, metal bumpers, hydraulic steering they were selling 250k units a year. I don’t think it even surpasses 80k/year last I checked. The market for decent SUVs is there and ready, and it seems the manufacturers are more focused on less profitable segments.
Tahoe peaked at 209k in 06, market tanked after 06 with the market crash. It was always basically the same. IFS front, solid axle rear. The “steel” bumpers didn’t make it any more a “truck”. I had an 06, it was fine, towed well, rode soft. The market voted, not the manufacturer. I am just saying, because you want a particular vehicle doesn’t mean it’s viable in today’s market and that’s why it’s unlikely we see a “full size” suv compare-able to 5G Bronco or Blazer of past.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
T

Tahoe peaked at 209k in 06, market tanked after 06 with the market crash. It was always basically the same. IFS front, solid axle rear. The “steel” bumpers didn’t make it any more a “truck”. I had an 06, it was fine, towed well, rode soft. The market voted, not the manufacturer. I am just saying, because you want a particular vehicle doesn’t mean it’s viable in today’s market and that’s why it’s unlikely we see a “full size” suv compare-able to 5G Bronco or Blazer of past.
There’s zero replacement options for those that bought these full-size SUVs, or any full-size SUV.

Again we are on the Bronco 6G forum, the same reasons were given for 20 years on why the Bronco was not viable for a come back yet here we are with high Interest.

I simply feel it’s impossible to gauge market demands simply on manufacturers offerings when they didn’t even let the products die naturally but changed the target market mid production.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s zero replacement options for those that bought these full-size SUVs, or any full-size SUV.

Again we are on the Bronco 6G forum, the same reasons were given for 20 years on why the Bronco was not viable for a come back yet here we are with high Interest.

I simply feel it’s impossible to gauge market demands simply on manufacturers offerings when they didn’t even let the products die naturally but changed the target market mid production.
6G has little in common with any of those vehicles, particularly 5G. No tow rating, smaller, full remove-able top, maybe 1G, Bronco competes with Jeep, period. Tahoe and Expeditions have tons of payload, seating and towing capacity in comparison. Anyway, good luck on your full size!

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Blame the .gov for for the size and motor restraints. Likely not going to see those with more restrictions to emissions. Some states you'd be out all together soon.
Curious what you are saying here. Please explain.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
6G has little in common with any of those vehicles, particularly 5G. No tow rating, smaller, full remove-able top, maybe 1G, Bronco competes with Jeep, period. Tahoe and Expeditions have tons of payload, seating and towing capacity in comparison. Anyway, good luck on your full size!
Not my point, my point is that the same negative attitude was given to the Bronco coming back but here we are.

Some manufacturer offers a full-size and they wouldn’t even have competition to contend with.
Sponsored