Sponsored

Is anyone else considering a Bronco that is overkill for your daily use...but looks so cool you want to buy it anyway?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Define overkill. Both of my current vehicles (F150, Wrangler) are lifted, have 35" MT tires, have lockers, and hit trails including moderate -difficult rock crawling trails. Wife's current vehicle (GC Trailhawk) has 32" AT tires and sees its share of moderate-difficult trails including rock crawling. Her GC is being replaced with a 4dr BL, minimum 33" AT and maybe 35" AT tires.
Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This will be a family hauler for road trips, and around towner. What i really need is a VW Atlas. With the Bronco, i was going to get OBX lux 2.7L. Then saw the interior, and the wheels...which brought me to the Badlands at basically the same price after accounting for $2,200 savings on MGV over OBX leather, $1,500 on 33s that i would have spent on OBX, $795 for OBX gearing to run 33s. etc. So yes, I'll be getting a Badlands and it will probably never see off-roading, but i like the idea of the possibilities. Especially if this gets kicked to the curb as the family hauler (50% likely) then at least i could use it as a fun vehicle. so im hedging here.

Leucadian

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm probably going with either the Badlands or Wildtrak come order time, and both will probably not get the amount of trail use they're capable of.

That being said, I do camp, take trips to Baja and head out to the desert on occasion, so I don't plan on having a garage queen. The other aspect to consider is resale/residual value. A heavily optioned Bronco is likely going to hold it's value a little better than a lower trim.

I also feel like I'm being forced into higher level trims (BL/WT) just to get the options I want.

JohnnyK

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wouldn't say it's overkill but the overwhelming majority of people will never come close to pushing a Base Bronco with 30" tires to it's limits, same for a Jeep.

That being said with the same Base, even if you never take it off road, once that top and doors come off you're going to have more fun than most people out there, you're actually looking forward to just doing the most mundane errand type stuff lol. That alone is worth the price of admission. Nothing beats the top and doors off experience.

Yes it looks cool.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Does not having sport mode in BL bug you?
To be honest...I'm trying to figure that out. I'm probably gonna have to let it go. I can get over not having a Sport mode way more than I can get over not having everything else I've talked about (ex: 12" screen, signature headlights AND taillights, MGV, etc.).

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Define overkill. Both of my current vehicles (F150, Wrangler) are lifted, have 35" MT tires, have lockers, and hit trails including moderate -difficult rock crawling trails. Wife's current vehicle (GC Trailhawk) has 32" AT tires and sees its share of moderate-difficult trails including rock crawling. Her GC is being replaced with a 4dr BL, minimum 33" AT and maybe 35" AT tires.
Personally...I define overkill as having all of the options you talked about knowing that you may never use them to their potential. Sounds like you and your wife aren't in that category because it looks like the two of you get it in. I, on the other hand, ain't about that life......yet. ;)

Benzo

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I explained my dilemma to my wife, she gave me the following piece of advice: "Why bother buying a brand new truck if you're not going to get exactly what you want?" It's amazing how much buy-in from the wife makes everything easier. ?

All of you who contributed to this post helped solidify my decision to stick with the Badlands. The last thing I need to figure out is if I want the 4.46 rear axle or the 4.7. I have no idea which one is best for the stock tires and mostly on-road usage.
If you go with 33" tires, I suggest going with 4.46 gearing.
If you go with larger tires than 33", you will want a lower gear ratio to move the larger tire diameter.
35" tires will have less "take off" actually torque with 4.46 than with 4.7.

This will keep your transmission and engine RPMs in their ideal range.

Summary:
If 33" go 4.46
If 35" go 4.7

OP
OP
Y2Dre

Y2Dre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you go with 33" tires, I suggest going with 4.46 gearing.
If you go with larger tires than 33", you will want a lower gear ratio to move the larger tire diameter.
35" tires will have less "take off" actually torque with 4.46 than with 4.7.

This will keep your transmission and engine RPMs in their ideal range.

Summary:
If 33" go 4.46
If 35" go 4.7
That is exactly the advice I needed. Thank you for catching my question. So, along with RPM considerations, will the 4.46 gear ratio give me better gas mileage (in theory) than the 4.7 when using 33s?

Sponsored

Benzo

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is exactly the advice I needed. Thank you for catching my question. So, along with RPM considerations, will the 4.46 gear ratio give me better gas mileage (in theory) than the 4.7 when using 33s?
Yes. The RPMs will be lower with the 4.46 gear ratio.

Here is a calculator you can play with that will show you the difference. Please note this site does not include the option of overdrive transmissions and should be used as a reference to understand the difference between ratios and tire size.

https://spicerparts.com/calculators/engine-rpm-calculator

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I originally wanted a BD. Then changed my mind to BL. I have no need for a BL. I won't be rock crawling. I just wanted it. The wife was on the fence until I asked her. " When you take the Bronco to exercise class, do you want it to look better or puny next to the rubicons that the other ladies drive?" That sealed the deal for the BL.

messymatter

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm going (probably) 4dr BD mid package with 2.7L with mic top (sound deadening), or the BB and bolting on the rest later. I'm excited for the aftermarket support we will have. It's going to be fun as hell making this machine my own over time. Once I'm outside of warranty, I'll probably add the locking front diff and 33" later. I'm still playing with other ideas, too. Now, I really can't decide on paint...

messymatter

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I originally wanted a BD. Then changed my mind to BL. I have no need for a BL. I won't be rock crawling. I just wanted it. The wife was on the fence until I asked her. " When you take the Bronco to exercise class, do you want it to look better or puny next to the rubicons that the other ladies drive?" That sealed the deal for the BL.
Didn't consider this lol
Sponsored