Sponsored

Is anybody considering switching from selling your current vehicle to keeping it?

bgmort

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've been thinking when I get my Bronco in a while (no reservation yet, probably doing an October reservation at Granger) that I'll sell my current vehicle (2013 Outback with 90k miles) and put the money (estimated 12k) toward a Bronco. But I'm wondering if I can actually make it work out better financially to keep the Outback. This might be possible because I can spec my Bronco a lot differently if it's not my only vehicle:

2dr instead of 4dr (~$2500)
Manual instead of auto ($1600)
Hard top included, instead of an upgrade for hard or dual tops ($700-$2700)
Perhaps a lower trim? My preference is Black Diamond, but am also considering the lower trims. Having it as a second vehicle could affect that choice. ($0-$10000)

I'm wondering if anyone else has considered the same dilemma, and what your thought process was.
Sponsored

Orbiter

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm considering keeping my 09 Honda Pilot for a year as a backup vehicle after I get the Bronco since it's definitely roomier than a Bronco and drives fine. The costs I have for it are yearly registration, fuel, maintenance, and insurance which should decrease as I drive it less.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was thinking about it, but then I realized I wouldn't be using my other car that often and it would just be there wasting money.

OP
OP
bgmort

bgmort

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was thinking about it, but then I realized I wouldn't be using my other car that often and it would just be there wasting money.
I think that's where I'll end up too - I'd have two vehicles to maintain, insure, wash, and incur depreciation. But it'd be a lot of fun too.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm back and forth. Today I'm keeping it, I'll get back to you tomorrow. I have a decent 2012 f150, it's paid off, and the fact that it's a 2wd with a non-ecoboost v6 with high miles means I wont get much for it. It runs perfectly, looks good, has an easily accessible rear seat, insurance is cheap and it can keep miles off the Bronco.

Sponsored

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too late.....Sold the JKU last month

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I keep my 2008 Element I'll end up going with a higher trim level. Instead of the Black Diamond I'll go Outer Banks at least to add the high package. If I keep my Ram (most likely outcome) I am thinking of dropping to a base + sasquatch. Won't need added tech as my Ram has it already. I can always tow the Bronco on long trips if my wife and I don't find it as comfortable as we would like. Both current vehicles are paid for so no loans to consider.

jmadsen

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F350, 2017 Explorer, 1945 Ford GPW, 53 C6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hopefully will be selling a few vehicles prior to picking up my new Bronco. a 2005 Dodge ram 2500 5.9 cummins work truck, a 1950 Ford potato chip former Laura Scutters Food truck-project, a 1941 1/2 ton pickup project, maybe one of the Marmon Herrington truck projects as well. probably the 53 F250 and keep the 2 51 Marmons and 53 C600 ? possibly let the 45 MB project go also.

I have enough retirement projects for 12 of me and I'm at least 25 years from that stage !

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, I am saving the 4th gen 4runner for when I need a bigger vehicle, backup and for the kiddos when they grow up. It should keep running as good as new in 11 years ?.

millsra13

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 2019 Toyota 4runner, 2003 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m doing almost the same thing as you. I was originally going with a 4 door auto badlands as my primary vehicle, but I like the look of the 2 door so much better. I decided just to keep my F-150 as a daily driver and get a 2 door manual badlands with no additional options.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll probably end up keeping it because even the dealership won't want it as a trade in.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wife says that I need to sell my 2001 corvette to get the bronco. And I agreed - at first.

But after several corvette rides this summer, I think the corvette gives me something that my bronco won't. So I may need to keep the corvette for a while after getting the bronco - just for a transition period.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will likely keep my 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited. It is pre-FCA and only has 85K miles on it. I can count on two hands how many times passengers have ridden in it in the 17 years. It is in beautiful condition. I likely wouldn't get much in trade despite the low miles and pampered appearance. Nothing can change the fact that it is 17 years old. So I will likely keep it and use as a DD, and perhaps give it to my nephew in a few years.

jswing

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
I already sold my trade in a few days ago. I didn't really need it (I don't really NEED a Bronco) and used car values are high right now because demand is higher than supply. My guess is I got about $4 - $5K more for it now that I'd likely get in trade from Ford later.
Sponsored