First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 etron
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love sports cars, but they don’t really make sense for us in Seattle. We have 25 mph roads in the city, the roads are tight and rutted, and our drives out of the city are typically to remote mountain destinations. I just don’t have time for A-to-A drives that let sports cars shine.

The Bronco’s manual transmission will bring joy to trundling around the city, and the 4wd will give me more confidence over passes in the winter and take me to trailheads too rutted or muddy for our A3. The steel bumpers and tall tires will give resiance to parallel parking, and given that it’s an SUV, I’ll feel less precious about battle scars from time in city or on the trail.

Plus, it’s shaped like a Tonka truck. That’s fun.
Sponsored

Phil James

Base
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got to drive the wife's today and it's just fun. I'm not sure what it is, but I enjoy driving it. My BMW is way faster, way more comfortable, way fancier and better tech and while I wouldn't permanently trade her, I've already made a deal to drive it the rest of the week so there is something, I just can't put my finger on it.

The bad-
Divey on brakes
Horrendous MPG, I know it's an apples to nipples comparison, but I can go 100mph in the BMW and get 40mpg. I have much more power but the i6 just kills the ecoboost for economy. Granted, my tires are 15" smaller (that's insane to think) and the BMW is probably 1000lb lighter and not a literal brick and while I have AWD, I know the powertrain on the bronco is more parasitic too.
Stereo definitely needs upgrade

The good-
Just makes you smile
Pretty peppy for what it is
Instant boost from the little bitty turbskis
Can see everything in front of you sitting up so high
Great turning radius

I don't generally like "trucks" as they are just too big to me but this little joker is the perfect size, easy to maneuver and yet has the truck presence.

I also like that it just screams for modifications. It makes you want to get in there and tinker with it, that's pretty sweet, though I'm sure my budget won't appreciate it.

We ordered initially because we thought it looked awesome and my wife really liked the offroad portion of the BMW driving school we attended and we live pretty close to some good off-road trails that our previous cars didn't enjoy being taken down. After waiting for a year and a half I was half expecting to be a little indifferent but didn't care if she was happy. She's happy and I am too, it's a pretty sweet ride and totally worth the hype and the wait.

So, after the rambling 1 question and one point:

1) What is "it" for you?

And the point: Keep up the faith, you'll like it, no, probably love it, and if you don't you're in a decent spot for a while to not lose your ass on it if you don't!

PS- Got her muddy today at work, gonna have to wash it before I bring her home.
Two years ago I was looking for a new car. I simply wanted a four-wheel drive with a stick. Wranglers look great, but Consumer Reports, and more importantly my mechanic, told me that Wranglers are unreliable, so I was probably gonna get a Crosstrek.
... because that was about what was available.
Then I providentially saw a reference to the not-yet-produced Bronco, which was four-wheel with a stick, AND the two door looks like my much missed Samarai ...
... with a heater too!
... and one of these days I'm probably gonna get it, I'm sure. :- )

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) What is "it" for you?
So many things...

But if I had to pick one, it was the absolute perfect answer to counteract the horrendous impact that Covid restrictions had on my family. I have two young daughters and although we tried to insulate them from what was going on, they, along with us, became home-bodies during the shut downs and getting out again required throwing a wrench in the mix.

The Bronco was the perfect catalyst for getting us out and active again. My entire family loves the Bronco and the adventures it takes us on. Numerous road trips later, it is our family's saving grace. It is a true member of the family. We have been able to see and do things that we had never even considered prior to the Bronco.

There are many things about the Bronco I love and a few things I don't. But nothing eclipses the effect it has had on our happiness and lifestyle.

And as I think back on the day I picked her up from the dealership, I am reminded of a decision I was presented with. Before taking delivery my salesman offered to buy it back from me at $20k over what I was about to pay for it (this was in 2021), and my response was, "I'm buying this for my family. And my family's happiness isn't for sale." People have called me crazy for turning that down. I have zero regrets. 🙂

Last edited:

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To understand why the Bronco is so appealing you have to understand the psychology of “hazing”. People tend to be more satisfied with something that they’ve had to suffer and/or sacrifice to achieve.

Along the same lines as studies that have shown that, election campaign volunteers are more satisfied with their jobs than paid staffers. Turns out, if you want your employees to love their job, don’t pay them LOL

But seriously, the premise is simple: Wait 1-2 years just to pay $60K for a new car and your own cognitive dissonance will convince you that this car must be THE BEST. It has to be worth it. I mean, you suffered so much to get it. I LOVE IT!!!

Compared to, say a Jeep. Pay $60K for a new car and drive it home same day, and you’ll think “yeah…it’s pretty cool.” Notice some sacrifice is still there (the $60k) but less due to the lack of a long wait. So the feelings of satisfaction are there…but also less.

But if Ford (theoretically) just started handing Broncos out to people for free. You just watch what would happen: The vast majority of drivers would be calling them “pieces of shit”

They would hold no value to you.

Sadly, we are all victims of our own cognitive dissonance.

Reactions: rws

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To understand why the Bronco is so appealing you have to understand the psychology of “hazing”. People tend to be more satisfied with something that they’ve had to suffer and/or sacrifice to achieve.

Along the same lines as studies that have shown that, election campaign volunteers are more satisfied with their jobs than paid staffers. Turns out, if you want your employees to love their job, don’t pay them LOL

But seriously, the premise is simple: Wait 1-2 years just to pay $60K for a new car and your own cognitive dissonance will convince you that this car must be THE BEST. It has to be worth it. I mean, you suffered so much to get it. I LOVE IT!!!

Compared to, say a Jeep. Pay $60K for a new car and drive it home same day, and you’ll think “yeah…it’s pretty cool.” Notice some sacrifice is still there (the $60k) but less due to the lack of a long wait. So the feelings of satisfaction are there…but also less.

But if Ford (theoretically) just started handing Broncos out to people for free. You just watch what would happen: The vast majority of drivers would be calling them “pieces of shit”

They would hold no value to you.

Sadly, we are all victims of our own cognitive dissonance.
krule-john-c-reilly.gif

Sponsored
OP
OP
Billnchristy

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I smell bias in this one! Of course your Bimmer is faster and probably gets better mileage, everything else is debatable. I've been in several BMWs, none are more comfortable than the Bronco not even close. I admit this is my opinion comfort is subjective, but for me the high and upright seating position of the Bronco is unbeatable and super comfortable, especially for those days running with the windows open elbows resting on the door and center console. The fuel economy has nothing to do with the I6 being more efficient and everything to do with the size, weight and the Bronco being an off road vehicle with huge tires. That said, there is NO WAY you are getting 40 MPG going 100 MPG, that is beyond crazy. I don't know what model BMW you have, but an X5 with 3L is rated for 21/25 MPG, exactly the same real word mileage I'm getting with my Base 2.3L Bronco, and this is comparing a car based SUV to a genuine truck! Granted I'm not going 100 MPH or want to, but get real. Get the X5 with a V8 and the mileage drops to an abysmal 13/18! I get it you prefer lux sporty cars over the Bronco, that is fine and good, but man you are stretching on this one. Honestly, I don't even want a so called lux interior in my Bronco, I love it like it is.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/BMW2021.shtml
Not that I had to, but I let the car drive for a second this morning. Not 100 but not 40mpg either...

PXL_20221104_091554866.jpg

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
To me the Bronco just feels like freedom. It wants to be let loose. Windows down, top down, cruisin. But not just the open air freedom, the freedom to go off the beaten path. This truck can go wherever you want it to go. Whenever I get behind the wheel I feel like I can go wherever I like and just enjoy the ride. No other vehicle that I've ever owned has given me that feeling. It's a special vehicle and I feel lucky to own one.

Reactions: rws

Teke

Base
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Growing up I loved the outdoors and exploring. So when the opportunity arose to buy a 96 Tacoma that opened my eyes to the world of exploring that way via off-roading. Being a Ford guy and only owning Fords up to that point though I always knew that when they release a Bronco I will be jumping on it. The Bronco is going to let me to continue being the Ford (and now Toyota trucks as well) guy I always have been while exploring the great outdoors.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Billnchristy

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got a nice route planned out for next weekend. It has multiple overlooks, some waterfalls and a lake in the middle of nowhere. I can't wait to get her out on the dirt (besides my work's lot). Have a tailgate table coming so we'll stop and cook some lunch, take in the scenes and maybe hit some hiking trails too as there seems to be a few options on the way and back.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A convertible, utilitarian SUV that drives like a (Tall, heavy) sports car? Compromises are for suckers apparently. I heard the Bronco was good. I wasn't expecting it to be THIS good.
So glad to hear you're enjoying your experience wth your Bronco.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well here is Ford again commenting on just the happy posts and avoiding people that actually have issues.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have always been extremely impatient. SO when I was offered the chance to order a bronco and possible wait a year and a half for it to be built and then for it to sit at MAP for another month + that was just a life experience I could not pass up. Thanks @Ford for making me deal with my impatience!
Sponsored