First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fords with the keyless entry pad are quite commonly stolen. I chose no keyless entry.
Huh? Why? You cannot start the car with that.
Lincolns and more expensive Fords have it embedded in the B-Pillar. People who use it love it.
Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Given widespread and proven usage of finger print scanners on various devices for access, I'm surprised more automakers haven't installed scanners on vehicles. I'd scan all my family member finger prints into the reader and no more messing with keys or fobs. (Well maybe in inclement weather could still need a key fob for snow/ice issues with the reader.)

Something like this:
https://www.techradar.com/news/fingerprint-scanners-are-now-being-used-to-unlock-and-start-your-car
What about your friends or climbing/paddling/cycling/whatever buddies? I could see this as being a PITA if you had to set up each individual that you may want to add.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

There is no “learn” feature built into the vehicle any longer to do it in the driveway.
Once the keypad is paired, do you think the pad’s code can be changed by the owner, or will that require a trip to the technician?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once the keypad is paired, do you think the pad’s code can be changed by the owner, or will that require a trip to the technician?
It can absolutely be changed whenever you want by yourself.

Think of it as a fob in a combo lock box. You need a dealer to pair the fob, but It’s up to you to set or change your combination.

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I used the one on my Mercury all the time, so this was the first feature I added.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have one of these on our Ford Escape. The problem with it is that it's not needed.
When I touch the door handle, with the key in my possession, the door unlocks.
As such, I've never used the keypad.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It can absolutely be changed whenever you want by yourself.

Think of it as a fob in a combo lock box. You need a dealer to pair the fob, but It’s up to you to set or change your combination.
Thought as much. Thanks.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What about your friends or climbing/paddling/cycling/whatever buddies? I could see this as being a PITA if you had to set up each individual that you may want to add.
Agreed a fingerprint scanner will not meet all the use cases. My buddy has a pickup with keypad, and it works nice for the situations you mention. Well, as long as I can remember the code, lol. But for everyday usage I'd like to give a fingerprint scanner a try, never having to mess with key/fob for most of the vehicle users.

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have one of these on our Ford Escape. The problem with it is that it's not needed.
When I touch the door handle, with the key in my possession, the door unlocks.
As such, I've never used the keypad.
I used mine if I needed to leave the key in the car and for instances where I needed to grab something out of my car when I didn't have a key on me. It also came in handy to leave items in my car securely for friends and family and they could punch in the code to gain entrance.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed a fingerprint scanner will not meet all the use cases. My buddy has a pickup with keypad, and it works nice for the situations you mention. Well, as long as I can remember the code, lol. But for everyday usage I'd like to give a fingerprint scanner a try, never having to mess with key/fob for most of the vehicle users.
Fair enough. For most uses, though, I leave the fob in my pocket and just grab the door handle to get in or press the door handle to lock it when I leave. The technology already installed is likely just as easy to use as a fingerprint scanner, more robust and cheaper. That’s likely the reason you don’t see it being prevalent.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can use the app in those instances without having to give out the code.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fair enough. For most uses, though, I leave the fob in my pocket and just grab the door handle to get in or press the door handle to lock it when I leave. The technology already installed is likely just as easy to use as a fingerprint scanner, more robust and cheaper. That’s likely the reason you don’t see it being prevalent.
Yeah I have that proximity fob tech on one of my vehicles. But I'd rather not have to retrieve/carry a fob or key. With fingerprint scanner or keypad I'm in. No having to carry/find a fob, haranguing my kids for misplacing both fobs.

To me the fob feels incomplete and half done. It's like hey, you no longer need to turn a key, great but I still have to carry and worry about this fob. I might try and install a fingerprint scanner on one of my old vehicles for fun this summer.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So as it gets closer to finalize my order, I've been thinking about adding the keyless entry pad ($110). Is it worth adding to the Bronco at all? My dealer says that all Bronco models will be compatible with the Ford-Pass app that can lock and unlock doors, and use Remote start from the App (I have reservations for FE and BD). Is it worth having that little black bar on the door? And how many people will actually add this option? Thanks! I can't wait to place my order!
Its $110 so I did. Will I use a lot no. But at times I may want to leave my key and cell locked in the Bronco and with it I can still get in.

I have wasted $100 on much more worthless crap.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d like to know how that DIY goes - please keep us posted.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Here. These two threads collectively contain 390 posts about just this topic.

In summation: Half the people couldn’t live without it... half the people think it’s pointless.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/keyless-entry-keypad.4777/

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/whos-adding-keyless-keypad-entry-and-why.8603/
This is the best post of the thread! We're here in 2021 and people on forums are still using the search function like it's 1998. Absolutely appalling. I mean, you can do a google/Bing search and get content from this site.

I remember a time when people were able to use a phone book, the original search function.

I read through these threads - I've never had a vehicle with a keyless entry keypad and wasn't aware that they are simply an adhesive installation - possibly by the dealer. Does anybody have an opinion on installing the keypad on the bumper below the spare tire?
That should not be possible, the proximity of the unit to the dashboard is important. There are some folks who relocated their keypad inside the fuel fill door on Ranger and have hit/miss connection (although the unit as a whole sucks, so it could be that)

I passed on the keypad. It looks like shit on the Bronco. Also, check out @Rick Astley ...he posted about how the keypad option delayed delivery of his Ranger for a few months. I think his keypad ended up being defective too.
Wow, I appreciate anybody remembering the issues others had to guide their own decisions.

To be technical,

1. the keypad delivered with our 2019 Ranger was non-operable.
    • The keypad also had a TSB during manufacturing which resulted in our Ranger being delayed by a few months (can't wait to see the shit-show that sort of delay causes on these forums!) then they built it with the v2.0 part
  2. The unit that replaced the first unit was non-operable from Ford
  3. The third unit was unable to connect to any Ford vehicle, our Ranger or anything on the lot.
  4. The fourth unit did connect, however, because of the ongoing TSB for the part (meaning v3.0), they had to issue us the old part number which will go through batteries like the fed gov goes through taxpayer dollars.
  5. The current unit (fourth) batteries died within 2 weeks of install and is non-operable
  6. We have been waiting for over 6 months to get the replacement part per TSB. A part which functions properly has not been made yet, nor would I expect it to come out in quantity prior to Job #1 of Bronco.
    • If the replacement part comes out during 2021, it will absolutely delay all Ranger & Bronco builds with this part. Ford cannot complete a vehicle without full parts content and this keypad is NOT a dealer-installed-option (DIO) within Bronco.
    • If this part number continues to be a shit-show and causes Bronco owners to get their builds delayed, i'm going to openly laugh and mock those people!
However, I won't bother linking anything here to my other threads, or the TSB, because the links were provided by #ZackDanger and people on this forum have proven that they certainly won't be searching for that info....

I don't know about the functionality. But I am pretty sure this is not the keypad that will be coming on the Bronco. From what I understand...the Bronco will get the same keypad the Ranger received.

keypad_1.jpg
Yes, Bronco and Ranger will share the same part. Which is currently under TSB and you should rely on the current keypad leaving you stranded. Plenty of posts both on Bronco6g and Ranger5g about how poorly this keypad functions.

It’s a $100. WTF cares. Get it, don’t like it, rip it off.
You'll care when it backs your order up multiple months :)
Sponsored