Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't know much at all about EVs....... maybe this is a dumb question, but why is it that they can't constantly be charging the battery by utilizing the spinning of the wheels as the EV drives?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So when you get it in 2023, let us know how the timestamp, allocation, whining dealers, battery manufaturer delays and the speed tax for driving fast and consuming excess electricity goes. /s
So you thought I was joking about a speed tax, well it did not take long to align with current events after reading about Bitcoin's 40% crash yesterday.

If the future amount of power required for EV's is the same as Bitcoin, and that is bad for the environment, then likewise will there be enough power to charge all the EV's or will we face power rationing or a speed tax?

(Please, don't turn this into a political discussion, it is my own technical point on how will we charge all the EV's, maybe we all have to pay for solar panels on our roofs.) For now I'll stick with ICE or a Hybrid Bronco would be okay as well.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know much at all about EVs....... maybe this is a dumb question, but why is it that they can't constantly be charging the battery by utilizing the spinning of the wheels as the EV drives?
That's a perpetual motion machine and it's impossible, though you can get some of the power back once you take your foot off the gas....throttle

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The problem is any electric car with that level of range effectively eliminates this as a vacation vehicle. And it probably destroys completely the American road trip. Sure they replace the short daily grind, but the overall culture impact about what the car is really about, "freedom", will inexorably change.

Live in Boston and want to go to Niagara Falls, now that is likely a 2 day trip

"Let's go skiing in Park City this weekend"...... whoops sorry your trip from Denver will take the whole long weekend just to deal with the charging delays.

"Woohoo road trip to Disney World !!!!" Not happening (unless you live in Jacksonville - in which case bless your heart), the sheer inconvenience of that will make people fly.

Airlines and rental car companies are going to have a massive resurgence when electrics are mostly rolled out. It will be the only way to vacation.

Sponsored

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So you thought I was joking about a speed tax, well it did not take long to align with current events after reading about Bitcoin's 40% crash yesterday.

If the future amount of power required for EV's is the same as Bitcoin, and that is bad for the environment, then likewise will there be enough power to charge all the EV's or will we face power rationing or a speed tax?

(Please, don't turn this into a political discussion, it is my own technical point on how will we charge all the EV's, maybe we all have to pay for solar panels on our roofs.) For now I'll stick with ICE or a Hybrid Bronco would be okay as well.
The hidden speed tax will come when the apple (sorry meant ford) operating system pushes an update that makes your vehicle's performance suck an no technical fix is available, but we do have some deals on new vehicles......

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are going to sell an absolute shit ton of these things. Game changer.
I think the real game changer will be the van.

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The batteries are reported to weigh 1800 pounds. Figure a short bed F150 with a V8 weighs in around 5500 pounds. V8 probably weighs under 500 pounds...Thinking the Lightning is going to push 7000? Interesting.
shouldn't considering it doesn't have anything near the mechanical parts as a gas f-150

Edit: video says 6500lb

Last edited:

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem is any electric car with that level of range effectively eliminates this as a vacation vehicle. And it probably destroys completely the American road trip. Sure they replace the short daily grind, but the overall culture impact about what the car is really about, "freedom", will inexorably change.

"Let's go skiing in Park City this weekend"...... whoops sorry your trip from Denver will take the whole long weekend just to deal with the charging delays.

"Woohoo road trip to Disney World !!!!" Not happening (unless you live in Jacksonville - in which case bless your heart), the sheer inconvenience of that will make people fly.

Airlines and rental car companies are going to have a massive resurgence when electrics are mostly rolled out. It will be the only way to vacation.
https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/... this unit will,10 and 13 hours, respectively.
"Buyers with access to an Electrify America DC Level 2 50 kW fast-charging station can increase the battery charge from 15% to 80% in 91 minutes for the standard battery and 122 minutes for the extended battery. A DC charger that operates at a full 150 kW output drops the times to around 40 minutes for both batteries. Additionally, a quick 10-minute charge session can add up to 41 or 54 miles. "
As those faster chargers become available in more place it just means you're planning your road trip a bit more. Let's be serious, from Boston to NYC is around 3 hours with light traffic...and a heavy foot...you can stop, put the car on the charger, take a piss, grab some lunch and you're back on the road with a decent amount of power. Again, the faster chargers aren't widespread yet but they will be in due time.

MannyFrescoSC

Badlands
First Name
Jr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Honda Accord, 18’ Jeep Compass
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved mine last night. Considered getting an electric vehicle after the whole pipeline debacle. Wife doesn’t want a car so the truck fits the bill. Might get it before the bronco too. I won’t make a decision until more info comes out but it’s not looking good for the Bronco.

Sponsored

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/2020-ford-f-150-lightning-ev-pickup-debuts-300-mile-range-priced-at-40k/#:~:text=F-150 Lightning Charge Time&text=Ford says this unit will,10 and 13 hours, respectively.
"Buyers with access to an Electrify America DC Level 2 50 kW fast-charging station can increase the battery charge from 15% to 80% in 91 minutes for the standard battery and 122 minutes for the extended battery. A DC charger that operates at a full 150 kW output drops the times to around 40 minutes for both batteries. Additionally, a quick 10-minute charge session can add up to 41 or 54 miles. "
As those faster chargers become available in more place it just means you're planning your road trip a bit more. Let's be serious, from Boston to NYC is around 3 hours with light traffic...and a heavy foot...you can stop, put the car on the charger, take a piss, grab some lunch and you're back on the road with a decent amount of power. Again, the faster chargers aren't widespread yet but they will be in due time.
Except good road trip people don't stop unless there is a sight to see. The idea of a stop in a 3 hour drive to take a break cause you have to changes the entire nature of the activity. Plus none of that technology actually is deployed.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If there is a standardization of charging, then I disagree with your opinion. The notion of the "gas station", premises on tanks and volatile liquids, changes to parking spaces with charging stations. They can be placed at rest areas, restaurants (as attractions), road side or anywhere else there is electricity. They don't have to be refilled or serviced daily. They can be unattended. Hotels, campgrounds, department and grocery stores...they can have them. Enterprising people will buy parking lots, invest in charging infrastructure and generate greater revenue off their parcel.

IF there is standardization, this entire network can grow. If they treat autos they same way they treat phones and phone charges...it will be a shit show for a while.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Except good road trip people don't stop unless there is a sight to see. The idea of a stop in a 3 hour drive to take a break cause you have to changes the entire nature of the activity. Plus none of that technology actually is deployed.
I'm assuming your good road trip people don't have young kids, bring their lunch, and wear diapers. The rest of us won't mind a stop after 3 hours of driving. For the record I've driven from Seattle to San Diego, Boston to Key West, and Camp Pendleton, Ca to Boston.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Aye. There is hope. Now to source a widebody.......

You a brewer? Where @? my liver hates me.
North Carolina, own a few coffee shops, so different type of brewing. Just launched franchising though, so hopefully coming to a town near you soon!
Sponsored