Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We need to keep a calendar of where the Race Bronco will be appearing so we can do reconnaissance.
:)
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Intercooler relocation.
Radar relocation.
Parking sensor relocation.

All things not in your picture.
Sheesh, I thought this would give you a little hope that it's doable. In all fairness, the Warn tucked nicely inside the bumper. Any solution like this for the modern bronco will probably require more bumper protrusion than the current mod version. Pros and cons with both setups, at least this one is fairly hidden, clean and compact. I think it was a Warn M8S and we relocated the solenoid box under the air filter.
Ford Bronco Winch solutions 1621616735708

Ford Bronco Winch solutions IMG_6509.JPG

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note to self: Figure out @flip 's favorite beverage. Trade said tasty beverage with @flip in exhange for help in hiding a winch

🤣
Wife almost killed me after the '77 build so may need to negotiate for more Bronco alone time. I'll keep checking with Meyer Distributing to see if any of their suppliers have a setup like this in the works.

Woodford Reserve and Coke.

Sponsored

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Many on here have touched on the winch issues in recent past. I would say Ford might have prioritized other things ahead of a winch solution... mainly the 360 view cameras, but also the ACC and front sensors... also turbocharging for more power/efficiency. Its direct competitors do not have to take some of these things into account. A front camera was available for the JT’s and can now be had on JL’s, mounted high in grill to not be obstructed by a winch, yet do not have additional cameras for 360 views and run into issues for camera placement since if doors removed takes the side mirrors with them. Their front bumpers also protrude quite a bit from the grill...

We just do not know enough information about the Ford Performance Winch solution at this time other than that Broncos that do not have front camera, ACC, and sensors will have less issues with a winch in place. The aftermarket will have a tough time to address this due to the additional tech and features that can be had on a Bronco.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Many on here have touched on the winch issues in recent past. I would say Ford might have prioritized other things ahead of a winch solution... mainly the 360 view cameras, but also the ACC and front sensors... also turbocharging for more power/efficiency. Its direct competitors do not have to take some of these things into account. A front camera was available for the JT’s and can now be had on JL’s, mounted high in grill to not be obstructed by a winch, yet do not have additional cameras for 360 views and run into issues for camera placement since if doors removed takes the side mirrors with them. Their front bumpers also protrude quite a bit from the grill...

We just do not know enough information about the Ford Performance Winch solution at this time other than that Broncos that do not have front camera, ACC, and sensors will have less issues with a winch in place. The aftermarket will have a tough time to address this due to the additional tech and features that can be had on a Bronco.
4WP claims the ACC is not affected by their winch bumper.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd really like to see how the camera looks with a low profile winch/solonoid relocated on the existing Ford option.
I know It will still block some of the view, but it would be nice to know by how much.

Superstition

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon unlimited tricked out
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm curious what kind of situations you're getting into where a winch has saved you?

Not to be a jackass, but if you're often getting into a situation where you need a winch, isn't that more a statement about bad judgement, than the necessity of a winch?
In the last year I've used my winch three times. BTW ... I also carry traction boards and lots of other recovery gear:

1 - On the remote North Rim of the Grand Canyon 50 miles from pavement while hiking below the rim a storm came in and dumped a lot of rain. I climbed out to the rim the next day and the road (with a lot of clay content) had a pool 150' long trapping me. It's not legal to drive off the dirt road inside Grand Canyon National Park and it wouldn't have helped in this situation anyway. It's also illegal to rut the road, but I was trapped. I made it about 40' before all four tires locked were hopelessly spinning and digging. I had 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ/P3 hybrid mud/AT tires. I deployed the winch 100' to a juniper tree next to the road and just winched it out all the way to avoid rutting the road any further. I could have used my traction boards, but I would have been like a pig in a mud pit using them over and over and over again to move 4 feet at a time.

2 - Below a remote part of the South Rim in winter 60 miles from pavement on a week long backpack trip. Snow storm came in and dumped a foot of snow. I climbed out a few days later and was making my way through the snow in the Jeep when I had to climb a long steep hill. I spun out with all 4 wheels turning trapping me there. I did toss chains in the Jeep before I left and I could have put the chains on, but it was so much easier to winch it up the hill with the aid of a tree. Traction boards, again, would have eventually worked but were not ideal in this situation.

3 - 40 miles off the pavement late at night, a friend (in a Rubicon) backed his jeep up into a deep ravine. Both back wheels were in the air and the Jeep was pivoting on the frame. He sent me a satellite text with his situation and I drove from base camp to his location and easily winched him out. I'm not sure anything else would have worked. There was no way we'd dig enough dirt and rocks to get his rear wheels to contact and there wasn't much weight left on the front wheels. He's lucky he didn't go over.

Now maybe I ought to just sit at home on the couch watching Lite Brite on Youtube to better manage my judgement, but it wouldn't be as much fun. The winch is a big deal to me. I'm loaded with recovery gear and if one tool doesn't work I'd eventually get out with something else, but the winch is super useful.

On the topic of winching something behind you, a snatch block attached to a tree can allow a directional pull even if the winch is on the wrong side of the vehicle. I carry that too in my recovery kit along with A LOT of other stuff. One thought I've had for the Bronco is to carry a hitch mounted winch and winch from the rear of the vehicle. Unfortunately, my back isn't as good as it once was and the thought of having to heft a winch around when I need it on the back hitch is completely unappealing. Ford really needs to fix this if they want to be a Jeep competitor.

Sponsored

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4WP claims the ACC is not affected by their winch bumper.
That may be the case, but what about front sensor provisions and if your Bronco has the cameras? Their bumper looks like it positions the winch up higher in front of the grill and may block the front camera view entirely.

I'd really like to see how the camera looks with a low profile winch/solonoid relocated on the existing Ford option.
I know It will still block some of the view, but it would be nice to know by how much.
I would like to see that, too. So far, that sounds like it may be the best compromise for those that have Broncos with front cameras... still don't know about front sensors and the ACC with the Ford option. The front sensors might have to be turned off via the menus if you opt for this option.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These are my thoughts as well.
Remove the top pack and no bar (lights in its place) The camera will work good enough for me, but the new catalogue was first I heard of the issue with the cruise control, I hope we see some greater detail/confirmation of the application soon?

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the last year I've used my winch three times. BTW ... I also carry traction boards and lots of other recovery gear:

1 - On the remote North Rim of the Grand Canyon 50 miles from pavement while hiking below the rim a storm came in and dumped a lot of rain. I climbed out to the rim the next day and the road (with a lot of clay content) had a pool 150' long trapping me. It's not legal to drive off the dirt road inside Grand Canyon National Park and it wouldn't have helped in this situation anyway. It's also illegal to rut the road, but I was trapped. I made it about 40' before all four tires locked were hopelessly spinning and digging. I had 35" Mickey Thompson ATZ/P3 hybrid mud/AT tires. I deployed the winch 100' to a juniper tree next to the road and just winched it out all the way to avoid rutting the road any further. I could have used my traction boards, but I would have been like a pig in a mud pit using them over and over and over again to move 4 feet at a time.

2 - Below a remote part of the South Rim in winter 60 miles from pavement on a week long backpack trip. Snow storm came in and dumped a foot of snow. I climbed out a few days later and was making my way through the snow in the Jeep when I had to climb a long steep hill. I spun out with all 4 wheels turning trapping me there. I did toss chains in the Jeep before I left and I could have put the chains on, but it was so much easier to winch it up the hill with the aid of a tree. Traction boards, again, would have eventually worked but were not ideal in this situation.

3 - 40 miles off the pavement late at night, a friend (in a Rubicon) backed his jeep up into a deep ravine. Both back wheels were in the air and the Jeep was pivoting on the frame. He sent me a satellite text with his situation and I drove from base camp to his location and easily winched him out. I'm not sure anything else would have worked. There was no way we'd dig enough dirt and rocks to get his rear wheels to contact and there wasn't much weight left on the front wheels. He's lucky he didn't go over.

Now maybe I ought to just sit at home on the couch watching Lite Brite on Youtube to better manage my judgement, but it wouldn't be as much fun. The winch is a big deal to me. I'm loaded with recovery gear and if one tool doesn't work I'd eventually get out with something else, but the winch is super useful.

On the topic of winching something behind you, a snatch block attached to a tree can allow a directional pull even if the winch is on the wrong side of the vehicle. I carry that too in my recovery kit along with A LOT of other stuff. One thought I've had for the Bronco is to carry a hitch mounted winch and winch from the rear of the vehicle. Unfortunately, my back isn't as good as it once was and the thought of having to heft a winch around when I need it on the back hitch is completely unappealing. Ford really needs to fix this if they want to be a Jeep competitor.
I want a winch, too, but I think what needs to be clear is that the Bronco can have a winch... the issue for some is our choice of packages and/or options. My vehicle will have 360, ACC, and front/rear parking sensors... these options may pose some functionality issues. The Bronco's direct competitor doesn't have these issues because it doesn't have some of this tech(360 and front sensors... JL's just getting front trail cam in '21). I'm not a Ford engineer, but my guess is that the 360 cameras are specifically mounted/positioned/programmed.

I'm with you on the back situation... Lol! It has to be an installed winch solution for me, but I may have to make a few compromises by losing a bit of front camera view and disable front parking sensors. We shall see.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided