First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do you think that was the reason for the "free" interior fabric liner, to cover that defect?
I'd heard 6 months ago from LEGEND it was less costly for Ford to have them all (or 98%) pre-lined from the supplier, than to deal with the 'some have' - 'some not' customization on the MAP line

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'd heard 6 months ago from LEGEND it was less costly for Ford to have them all (or 98%) pre-lined from the supplier, than to deal with the 'some have' - 'some not' customization on the MAP line

That makes a lot of sense. I can’t see Ford trying to “cover up” an issue like a crumbling hard top at roll out. That wouldn’t end well for them, and they know it.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That makes a lot of sense. I can’t see Ford trying to “cover up” an issue like a crumbling hard top at roll out. That wouldn’t end well for them, and they know it.
yes, that would be a really dumb move, somebody is going to take that thing off to replace it with hotheads or something, those photos would be all over.
At the top factory it's probably a quick and easy install, setting up the extra space at Ford or installing them once the top is on seems a PITA.
But hey, one more invented B6G rumor to add to the totally leaking and super wind noisy tops we're getting :)

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yes, that would be a really dumb move, somebody is going to take that thing off to replace it with hotheads or something, those photos would be all over.
At the top factory it's probably a quick and easy install, setting up the extra space at Ford or installing them once the top is on seems a PITA.
But hey, one more invented B6G rumor to add to the totally leaking and super wind noisy tops we're getting :-D
Since both the Bronco’s MIC and MOD hard tops are constructed with a honeycomb layer sandwiched between two layers of fiberglass, allegedly for better noise reduction and thermal insulation, I’m not entirely convinced that Hotheads’ headliners are going to significantly improve the noise reduction and thermal insulation properties of the Bronco tops with Coverking’s felt headliners already installed.

I realize Hotheads’ headliners have a great reputation on Jeep hard tops, but I don’t know whether those tops have an additional insulating layer already built in? If they do, then my point is moot, because the two top designs would be comparable.

Does anyone here know for sure? If so, please comment. I’m genuinely curious. Thanks.

Sponsored

jvandena

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW vanagon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Now that today's news is out there....

Within the last 6 weeks, Ford engineers were dispatched en mass to the Webasto plant in Plymouth to troubleshoot issues with factory output. In the time since, Ford has effectively assumed operational control of the plant and are working to resolve the issue under threat of vacating the contract entirely.

Some MAP employees have spent their shutdown time over in Plymouth trying to get things moving.

The "additional millions to resolve supply chain issues" in today's messaging specifically references the major rework Ford is paying for at the facility.

The good news is that the early quality concerns have been completely addressed, as the assemblies currently coming out meet all the agreed upon standards. However, both the physical setup of the plant itself and a toxic, disorganized management culture are severely limiting output of product and onboarding of employees.

The ship is being righted but it won't be fully resolved in the near term.

Source: same as all the other info I've shared along the way... friends in engineering and production on this project.
Now that today's news is out there....

Within the last 6 weeks, Ford engineers were dispatched en mass to the Webasto plant in Plymouth to troubleshoot issues with factory output. In the time since, Ford has effectively assumed operational control of the plant and are working to resolve the issue under threat of vacating the contract entirely.

Some MAP employees have spent their shutdown time over in Plymouth trying to get things moving.

The "additional millions to resolve supply chain issues" in today's messaging specifically references the major rework Ford is paying for at the facility.

The good news is that the early quality concerns have been completely addressed, as the assemblies currently coming out meet all the agreed upon standards. However, both the physical setup of the plant itself and a toxic, disorganized management culture are severely limiting output of product and onboarding of employees.

The ship is being righted but it won't be fully resolved in the near term.

Source: same as all the other info I've shared along the way... friends in engineering and production on this project.
Maybe the quality or manufacturing concerns with hard top are hidden by the sound absorbing headliner. SMC is not easy at high volume and large part sizes. Good luck Ford/Webesto!

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

When I worked in private equity, all of our deals had performance clauses that led to either additional control via board seats, additional equity, claw-backs etc. I'd imagine that Ford was pretty well buttoned up on most of that stuff to ensure webasto pays for their ineptitude. I can't imagine Ford "wants" to take over, but it appears they had no choice in the matter to preserve any chance at righting the ship.

Science4Lyfe

Black Diamond
First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure if you guys knew this but the deep freeze that happened in Texas a little while ago resulted in a massive hit to the petrochemical industry including precursors to producing plastics like polypropylene. Could be an RM supply issue.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
sure, that is to the company, the tax credits to buyers are a de facto subsidy to the manufacturer, at just the Federal $7500 for the 760k vehicles they made from 2014-2020 that is another $5.7B (many States also threw money at EV's because they would not sell in number without them). Throw that into the mix and the numbers look a little different. This year they made too many, no credits, see how their balance sheet looks next year.

Kren

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes complete sense. Webasto clearly didn’t have the clout to deal with there own supply chain issues. Ford will fix that.

Sponsored

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess Ford just went with the lowest bidder without considering current management?!
Cynical... just how many steel roof manufacturers of this scale do you think there are? 2? 8? Dozens? Nope. Maybe it was the only bidder at the time. Now Ford can call the shots.