Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Everybody needs to relax.
tenor.gif

This is probably a typical B6G overreaction but it does seem like something isn't quite right because the electronics shouldn't let you do something stupid. At 15:30 when he's spinning it sounds like a receipt printer?
Sponsored

davesell

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang GT, 19 Mustang Bullitt, 22 F150 PB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Take the training? I had a old bronco that you manually lock the front wheels put it in 4Low and go. I just need it for mud and snow ( no rock crawling) where would you suggest i train to understand things like what does a locking differencial do?
Plenty of training on GOAT modes are available online on BroncoNation or other web or YouTube sites. These Broncos are not like the old Broncos where you had to manually lock front wheels and jam it in 4 Low and go. I know not everyone can go to a Bronco Off-Roadeo training, but like the Raptor training, and training that Ford does for their Performance cars (like the GT 500 or GT 350) there is a lot to learn about these modern vehicles. Like you, I learned the old school way, now I have to re-learn and mix what I knew with new technology way of doing the same thing. We had a lot of discussion/training on both the front and rear lockers and when and when not to engage them. This new vehicle is so well planted that engaging the lockers are not as necessary until you get into more extreme situations. In the old days you engage them with the slightest snow on the ground. With ABS and much better tires and gear ratios, this way of thinking has changed. So just be open to thinking of 4x4ing in a different way is my point.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Soooo this video bothers me.

I went out to Moab during the Easter event and took a ride in a 2 door First Edition with Shelby Hall.

when she went to get a wheel (intentionally) in the air to demonstrate sway bar disconnect, this exact same type of computer freak out occurred. Goat modes unselectable, service 4x4 system warnings, sway bar disconnect inoperable, trail turn assist inoperable warnings etc.

They backed down to level ground, cut the engine, started back up, warnings persisted. They cut the engine again, opened and closed the drivers’ door, waited a sec and started up - opening and closing the door seemed to help and the computer had calmed down.

now, the FE I was in that day was supposedly like the 12th bronco produced down the line, so I can forgive something like that during a sneak peek event.

seeing the exact same behavior on one sold to the public - wow. That’s not confidence inspiring and I will be more than pissed if a vehicle I’m about to spend $57k on does this so easily.
This will be our new CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, spotted numerous errors and issues with his videos. He didn’t seem to do a lot of research before he bought his Bronco.
Maybe he did everything right and it is a valid problem, all I'm saying is don't burn down Ford HQ until it's proven by more people, preferably ones that are more knowledgeable.

Ahauser2010

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi and Company Car
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
tenor.gif

This is probably a typical B6G overreaction but it does seem like something isn't quite right because the electronics shouldn't let you do something stupid. At 15:30 when he's spinning it sounds like a receipt printer?
I mean I would be pissed if I was this guy. But this is one bronco out of many that have shipped. I like my odds. Also this guy is an idiot for taking it on the trail with less than 100 miles on it

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

After watching this video, she was having an issue with Sta-bar disconnect, she was not flipping from GOAT mode to GOAT mode. So I will not argue with you all, there may or may not be a software issue, I don't know. But what I know is that the GOAT modes adjust a ton of different parameters and you can not just flip one on, then immediately flip another one on. You can scroll through them quickly and they will not engage for a few seconds until you wait and choose one. So I think there are some getting used to this. Our instructor, who has 1000s of hours in the new Bronco, said to not engage a GOAT mode, then think "I want to try another one" so let's just flip it again. When you are outside the vehicle and a GOAT mode is engaged you can hear a lot of things happening. Just like a lot of electronics, you have to get used to how it works. So I think there is a large learning curve with this vehicle. Those who just buy one, and never educate themself on how to use it may have issues. Just my opinion. Time will tell if it is software error or user error.
Watch the video again starting at 15:40 or so. He isn't flipping between G.O.A.T. modes. He starts up an incline and gets wheel spin, so he backs off to get more of a run and when the wheels start slipping again, the warning messages pop up. Then he tries to change the G.O.A.T. mode, and it won't let him.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't recall which video it was, but one of those ride along videos had an older gentleman as the driver, and there was a point when he tried to engage something in the car yelled at him. He too just glazed over it just as I did. But it does make you wonders.

And as others have pointed out GOAT modes are not about the hero switches you can manually change, it's about all the other changes it makes to the system that you don't have buttons for. So sure you can leave it in normal mode and manually turn on lockers, but you're not getting everything as it should be.

Kind of goes back to the argument of people trying to use Baja as a faux sport mode... Ain't the same thing.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Plenty of training on GOAT modes are available online on BroncoNation or other web or YouTube sites. These Broncos are not like the old Broncos where you had to manually lock front wheels and jam it in 4 Low and go. I know not everyone can go to a Bronco Off-Roadeo training, but like the Raptor training, and training that Ford does for their Performance cars (like the GT 500 or GT 350) there is a lot to learn about these modern vehicles. Like you, I learned the old school way, now I have to re-learn and mix what I knew with new technology way of doing the same thing.
But here's the thing. Toyota has had Multi-Terrain Select on the Taco and 4Runner for a while now. It functions much the same as Ford's GOAT modes, but has a more boring name.

On Toyotas, MTS works on top of whatever you're doing with the transfer case and rear locker. Sometimes it won't engage because you're going too fast, or haven't selected 4WD, or whatever. But it never interferes with vehicle operation.

I'm pretty concerned about electronics that will brick my forward progress until I restart the vehicle. It doesn't have to be that way. It shouldn't be that way. Hopefully this is a one-off, and not a sign of shoddy programing.

Ford Bronco Disconcerting video - Broken GOAT mode during off roading? 1626101893785

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When shifting through GOAT modes it might be prudent to put your transmission in N to take load off the driveline. Pop your Bronco in N, unload the driveline then hold the brake, select the appropriate mode and roll on. With every electronic shift transfer case it’s a good idea to unload the driveline before popping into 4HI/4LOW. Similarly if you need 4HI while driving, let off the throttle before you shift into 4HI. Basic stuff

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When shifting through GOAT modes it might be prudent to put your transmission in N to take load off the driveline. Pop your Bronco in N, unload the driveline then hold the brake, select the appropriate mode and roll on. With every electronic shift transfer case it’s a good idea to unload the driveline before popping into 4HI/4LOW. Similarly if you need 4HI while driving, let off the throttle before you shift into 4HI. Basic stuff
The owner's manual is out already right? I wonder if it says to do this.

Edit - I just read it and it does not mention anything other than turning the knob.

Sponsored

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The owner's manual is out already right? I wonder if it says to do this.
It’s just a good idea on any vehicle to unload the driveline when shifting into/out of 4WD. Even if you just let off the throttle, that’s fine. Not saying that’s specifically the issue this particular Bronco owner was having, that was more just general advice for people new to 4x4 vehicles

SaudiBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti G37
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My F-150 had very similar issues when new. Pre collision warning, service advantrac, ABS, Battery charge fault. Got worse and worse over a couple weeks. Turned out to be a bad cell on the AGM battery. It provided enough voltage to start and run the truck normally, but when it needed the extra juice for ABS, etc. It couldn't handle it and would throw all kinds of warnings.
Agree. Most likely it's something related to the battery or the alternator.