Sponsored

Motortrend bias article (watch my video from moab)

Kel

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kelechi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Chevy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I
Who is making this comparison?

Get death wobble ONCE on the highway and you'll never drive a solid front axle again. It's fucking TERRIFYING. It's so well known people who don't even take their jeep off-road know and sometimes complain about it.

1:45 and you can see how fun that looks at 30. Now imagine it at 65 on a highway and have to limp home. Not that things don't break on all cars but this is a WELL known issue. Hundreds of videos on it. Usually the trackbar bolt but I've seen lots of things called "fixes" and I've also sold a jeep because we couldn't figure it out and I was sick of dealing with it (my 98 tj with the straight 6 was a blast)

Here is a dealership talking about it because it's such a common talking point.

https://www.aventurachryslerjeepdodgeram.com/learn-the-truth-about-the-jeep-death-wobble/

Solid axles are not fun to ride on. The bronco IS the fix for that. I know not everyone is trying to ride whoops and not everyone wants a bunch of travel but I'd say that, higher speed dirt road/fire road/gravel trail driving is FAR more common than rock crawling and you'll never in your life make a solid axle as comfortable as IFS. Don't care what anyone says. I've driven both. I've wheeled both. my 98 wrangler was a blast but it was also an uncomfortable ride.

This person is awesome and breaks it down for babies first 4x4:

I refuse to compare the bronco in a "which is better" but you can break down use for use. Which is better, a dark porch or a well-lit porch... depends what you need it for.

This argument is tired at this point. Buy what you want. An electric jeep with a solid front axle isn't the same creature as an ifs turbo 4 cyl or the 6 in the bronco. BARELY in the same conversation. They both have convertible tops. That's like comparing a Bentley Drophead coupe to a Ferrari California.. yeah they're both two door convertibles but that's about where it ends.

As a bonus for making it this far I found a video of an independent jeep and it made me smile a bit, so here you go:

seems like Ford used the same voice over on the Rex for the bronco reveal video 😂
Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not an off-road expert and my experience with the bronco is limited to the off-roadeo I did in New Hampshire, but it didn't struggle up any of those challenges I'm sure 95% of people who buy either of these vehicles would take it out in those conditions. They mentioned the bronco is a better desert runner, which means it'll be a smoother ride going down fire roads or washboard roads. I was in a lot of mud and it had no issues so yeah I'll stick with my original statement, Jeeps might be better crawlers but that's not all off-roading
Agreed, the Bronco will make a better desert runner. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

I've wheeled both SFA and IFS...SFA just feels more solid on most trails.

Last edited:

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Who is making this comparison?

Get death wobble ONCE on the highway and you'll never drive a solid front axle again. It's fucking TERRIFYING. It's so well known people who don't even take their jeep off-road know and sometimes complain about it.

1:45 and you can see how fun that looks at 30. Now imagine it at 65 on a highway and have to limp home. Not that things don't break on all cars but this is a WELL known issue. Hundreds of videos on it. Usually the trackbar bolt but I've seen lots of things called "fixes" and I've also sold a jeep because we couldn't figure it out and I was sick of dealing with it (my 98 tj with the straight 6 was a blast)

Here is a dealership talking about it because it's such a common talking point.

https://www.aventurachryslerjeepdodgeram.com/learn-the-truth-about-the-jeep-death-wobble/

Solid axles are not fun to ride on. The bronco IS the fix for that. I know not everyone is trying to ride whoops and not everyone wants a bunch of travel but I'd say that, higher speed dirt road/fire road/gravel trail driving is FAR more common than rock crawling and you'll never in your life make a solid axle as comfortable as IFS. Don't care what anyone says. I've driven both. I've wheeled both. my 98 wrangler was a blast but it was also an uncomfortable ride.

This person is awesome and breaks it down for babies first 4x4:

I refuse to compare the bronco in a "which is better" but you can break down use for use. Which is better, a dark porch or a well-lit porch... depends what you need it for.

This argument is tired at this point. Buy what you want. An electric jeep with a solid front axle isn't the same creature as an ifs turbo 4 cyl or the 6 in the bronco. BARELY in the same conversation. They both have convertible tops. That's like comparing a Bentley Drophead coupe to a Ferrari California.. yeah they're both two door convertibles but that's about where it ends.

As a bonus for making it this far I found a video of an independent jeep and it made me smile a bit, so here you go:

I've been driving live front axle 4x4s since 1989, including as daily drivers and off-road. And I've never experienced this death wobble thing.

Clearly for some people, it has occurred. But I think it's highly overblown. If death wobble was such an issue, there would be many accidents and probably the design would have been outlawed by now. Live front axle would have been litigated out of existence like other defects, if death wobble was the problem some people make it out to be.

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been driving live front axle 4x4s since 1989, including as daily drivers and off-road. And I've never experienced this death wobble thing.

Clearly for some people, it has occurred. But I think it's highly overblown. If death wobble was such an issue, there would be many accidents and probably the design would have been outlawed by now. Live front axle would have been litigated out of existence like other defects, if death wobble was the problem some people make it out to be.
I've experienced it twice while in a jeep, both times were caused by loose bolts. It is pretty scary the first time when you don't know what the hell is going on but I think "death" wobble is a misnomer since I don't think it causes accidents unless someone panics and jerks the wheel.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Feels more solid is opinion and I strongly disagree. Lets share more info.

Solid axles are not a comfortable ride any way you slice it. I do agree they have advantages and disadvantages, and I'll even go one step further and say very few people here will push hard enough to see the differences or feel let down by IFS.

Here is a Kia Sorento doing Hell's gate.

A Subaru on Hell's revenge

How about a Porsche?

I mean, there is info everywhere and 95% of this forum will never push past what I've posted street cars doing. I get everyone wants the biggest and coolest rig to drive over the car in front of you at Starbucks or whatever, but honestly, for MOST people who spend any more than 20% of their time driving this on the street, the Bronco wins by a mile comfort wise.
‐--------

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I didn't read the article, but one thing's for certain: This ridiculous new allocation formula is turning a lot of former Ford fans into Jeep owners. These were customers they had "in their pocket" and didn't have to sell, all so they could get stock to dealerships that now have to track down buyers...or just sell them on eBay for $83K, like that guy from Town & Country did.
-----

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: sjp
OP
OP

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nah, it's all good... As I'm reading it, it's like I can hear an accent in my head. Lol
And in my head, it's Russian or Eastern European for some reason 🤷🏻
-----

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Agreed, the Bronco will make a better desert runner. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

I've wheeled both SFA and IFS...SFA just feels more solid on most trails.
-----

Last edited:

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Look at this video even at some rock crawling the bronco seem to do better then 2dr jeep and 4dr jeep.......lol

I used to be all about IFS. Then I took my 2000 Durango lifted on Hells Revenge. It did not go well to say the least. Lots of body damage. The Bronco is much more capable than my Durango and it does a really good job on that trail. No argument there. They have done a good job with the Bronco.
It isnt just SFA that makes it better. It is the disconnecting the sway bar that really helps. An SFA setup is going to have more travel vs IFS once the sway bar is disconnected. For these types of trails the additional travel, whether it is one inch or two helps keep the body level. The more level the body stays the less chance of rollover and the better you feel going up and down the trail.

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Feels more solid is opinion and I strongly disagree. Lets share more info.

Solid axles are not a comfortable ride any way you slice it. I do agree they have advantages and disadvantages, and I'll even go one step further and say very few people here will push hard enough to see the differences or feel let down by IFS.

Here is a Kia Sorento doing Hell's gate.

A Subaru on Hell's revenge

How about a Porsche?

I mean, there is info everywhere and 95% of this forum will never push past what I've posted street cars doing. I get everyone wants the biggest and coolest rig to drive over the car in front of you at Starbucks or whatever, but honestly, for MOST people who spend any more than 20% of their time driving this on the street, the Bronco wins by a mile comfort wise.
You make some really great points. I cant argue with anything you said. I tried to explain my reasoning for why I said that in the post above.

OP
OP

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Let’s also remember that Ford really hasn’t had a dog in the fight for a long time. At least not anything to compete with Jeep in off-roading. So it makes sense to me that many off-road publications probably do lean towards Jeep because they were essentially the top brand for extreme off-roading and most of these folks probably owned or own Jeep’s.
-----

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mdeamon

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai tucson