Sponsored

Y'all Are More Patient Than Me (Defender v. Bronco Comparison)

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The price difference between a Defender and a Bronco in the US is still over $22,000. That a monstrous difference and most people are not cross shopping vehicles that have that big of a price gap.
The price difference isn't quite that large. My Defender was $15k over my Badland build (lux, 2.7, mic, tow, 4 door). It also came with a LOT more features. The stereo is better, heated and cooled seats, drive assistance features, air suspension, better tech... nobody here wants to see the list, but the only thing I'd change is getting more aggressive tires, and maybe 18 inch wheels.

This is the first non-Ford I've ever had, and Ford could learn a lot from the Defender, which is probably why they were spotted driving one around Dearborn recently.

I'll also say my 110 with the advanced off-road and air suspension sits higher than a non-squatch Bronco. :cool:
Sponsored

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The price difference between a Defender and a Bronco in the US is still over $22,000. That a monstrous difference and most people are not cross shopping vehicles that have that big of a price gap.
Not sure where you got that idea, but I was cross shopping them when I placed my order last January. A fully loaded Bronco is within a few grand of the Defender (my defender build came out cheaper than my actual Bronco order), and the defender has a nicer interior and tech. With hindsight being 20/20 I should have put in orders for both at the same time.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I gave up on my squatched Big Bend Bronco build back in June. And in June I ordered a no frills Land Rover Defender for believe it or not about the same price (no markup) as my reserved Bronco. I took delivery of the Defender in the beginning of October. And this past weekend the wife and I took it for some extensive off-roading on the trails in Big Bend. The Defender was a beast with no problems. I'm sure the Bronco would have been great too.

Coincidentally, when we were in a remote area of the park close to the Rio Grande, we saw a Big Bend Bronco about identical to my build, so I used the opportunity to park next to it and take a picture.
Defender&Bronco.jpeg

Additionally, today I spoke with my Ford dealer and mY fOrD dEaLeR sAiD 8o% oF bRoNcOs ReSeRvEd JuLy 2o2o HaVeN't BeEn DeLiVeRed (this was hard to type). Who knows if there's any truth to this, but the dealer's comment still elicited an "Owen Wilson wow." Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
I'm waiting on my '22 D90 or my '22 WT. Let's see who wins lol

ETA on the D90 is March (doubt that will hold) and the WT who knows. Got pushed to 22 as a day 2 res. Build was December and got an email it's January now.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This thread is a riot. The Defender has plastic everything. It does not offer a manual. Itā€™s suspension is pedestrian at best. No front locker. And those taillights? Like what the actual F happened there? I am flabbergasted at the hideous tails every time I see one. Sorry to those offended.

Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The C$25,000 price difference buys a LOT of patience.
Not ot mention the service cost of one over an even short term loan. My friend bought one about 7 months ago and it's been a challenge.

VegasJason

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley 04 FLHRSI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I can't get the Bronco BL by Spring I'm considering the Defender 90. Maybe coil springs vs. adjustable suspension. I'm not going off-road in either. This V8 looks nice though...

Defender 90 White V8.jpg
Anyone put a solid front axle on a defender yet though??? lol!

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well yall are richer than me. I aint patient im poor. Havent even been able to save for a downpayment yet. Best I got is $ in 4100 F stock but i gotta save half of that for x plan if they will ever let me. By the way since you got English luxury money could you donate to my go fund me, just send cash to twin falls maui i will be there chopping cocos.

Allegedly

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Pace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Y'all really want to ramp this up, let's add the Rivian R1S to the conversation.

Fastest 0-60 SUV on the planet, best 0-60 for any vehicle under $120k, air suspension (you know, like a Defender), 400 mile range, extremely capable off-road... easily holds its own against Defender and Bronco, incredible interior.

Oh, sorry, it doesn't have a stick shift.

Sponsored

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This thread is a riot. The Defender has plastic everything. It does not offer a manual. Itā€™s suspension is pedestrian at best. No front locker. And those taillights? Like what the actual F happened there? I am flabbergasted at the hideous tails every time I see one. Sorry to those offended.
I'm not sure anyone but you would call the air suspension "pedestrian". :LOL:

You are correct... no front locker. Just the rear and center, plus the torque vectoring system for the front. In good news, the Defender arrived in less then three months from being ordered, and with no water leaking from the hard top or the a-pillar airbags. To each their own. šŸ˜‰

Seriously though, I think they're both great in their own ways. I wouldn't rock crawl my Defender, but for daily driving, the Defender is better. The Defender will also still do all the off roading I have planned. Were I more into extreme off roading, I'd definitely pick the Bronco.

Allegedly

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Pace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not sure anyone but you would call the air suspension "pedestrian". :LOL:

You are correct... no front locker. Just the rear and center, plus the torque vectoring system for the front. In good news, the Defender arrived in less then three months from being ordered, and with no water leaking from the hard top or the a-pillar airbags. To each their own. šŸ˜‰

Seriously though, I think they're both great in their own ways. I wouldn't rock crawl my Defender, but for daily driving, the Defender is better. The Defender will also still do all the off roading I have planned. Were I more into extreme off roading, I'd definitely pick the Bronco.
Just don't tell them about the $68 2 inch lift kits.

MikeyFrog

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Needing a four door, I'm turned off by the weird box on the 4 door defender. But it's a sweet vehicle otherwise. Money being no issue, I'd consider it more, but I'm already having internal issues with spending over 50k on a vehicle when I bought my 08 Fx4 new for 23k šŸ˜¬

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I tend to agree with this. Maybe the G Wagon is a better competitor with the Defender? I am just not sure what they are for. When I look at the Defender, off-road prowess doesn't spring to mind looks wise. It looks like a pretty princess you don't want to ruin in the mud. Nothing wrong with that, just not a Jeep or Bronco.
A fully loaded Big Bend is close in price to a bone stock Defender, but can hardly be compared. The bone stock Defender technically isn't even a 4x4
I do admit, the Defender is cute! ;)
Anyone put a solid front axle on a defender yet though??? lol!
Have any of you noticed the magnitude of four door Broncos on here getting ā€˜Squatchedā€™ with spacers and 35ā€™s, no lockers and 3.7 gearing?

OPā€™s Defender will run circles around all those brodozers in dirt.

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The v6 defender, which I think would be a great fit for what I want, starts at like mid to high 60ā€™s

my Lux package wildtrack is$53k

So no defender for me.

Price is the only variable here
Sponsored