ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When we traveled the Colorado Alpine Loop we saw a Defender 4 door. It has to be fairly capable to get to where we saw it. Although it looks like it lacks some ground clearance.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is that when he blew the tires light off roading?
That's the one. He did it twice and they had to abandon the Defender on the trail overnight and get two new tires.

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the way the defender looks, but not for price, lack of accessories, and the fact that Land Rover and quality do not go together. If I had disposable money that I could just throw away I would probably get one for when I go grocery shopping, but I like the way the bronco looks. I was looking at the defender before I got my bronco and glad I didn't picked it

...also, too much effort to fit 35s and lack of travel.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the Defender moving to unibody construction and solid top they really aren't an apples to apples comparison IMO. Had the Defender remained body on frame w/ removeable top and MT my decision would have been much harder to make otherwise it was a no-brainer for me.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not convinced the Bronco is any more reliable than the Defender in the short or long term. Also, there's a non-air suspension version of the Defender that might be a better bet for reliability.

I debated seriously between the two and am glad I got the Bronco, even though I'm waiting for the top to crack, the cam phasers to rattle, the rubber gaskets to fail, etc. It'll still look cool when all those things happen and be cheaper to repair in the long run.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Came here expecting off road comparisons. Let’s get down to ability
Wheeled with a 2dr Defender Monday and we topped the afternoon with a ride up to a yellow. To the Defenders credit, they did the obstacle whereas most of the rest of us turned tail after seeing the sliding around. That was unnerving. If you scroll down to the bottom, you'll see the videos. The 4dr Bronco of course did pretty great but didn't do the last obstacle (it was really slippery by the end and we were at the end of the line).

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rthwest-ohv-trip-out-with-soft-roaders.86762/

Last edited:

Faust

Badlands
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado - Company Edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not convinced the Bronco is any more reliable than the Defender in the short or long term. Also, there's a non-air suspension version of the Defender that might be a better bet for reliability.

I debated seriously between the two and am glad I got the Bronco, even though I'm waiting for the top to crack, the cam phasers to rattle, the rubber gaskets to fail, etc. It'll still look cool when all those things happen and be cheaper to repair in the long run.
Oh, there's cause for hesitation on reliability for both...

However, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you which I'd rather have once the warranty expires.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t trust the Defenders reliability at all.

I love how the look, but Land Rover has had and still has the worst reliability in the market for decades.

Sponsored

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We have both Defender 110 and Bronco 2 door. Bought the Defender Sept of 2020, and have put several things on it, about 10k worth of accessories. For at least a year, Defenders were very hard to come by. Little over 30k miles on it now. Took forever to get aftermarket parts, but they eventually started coming out. Lucky8 has many nice parts. Got the Bronco in August 2022, and have done many upgrades to it as well, about 16k miles on it. Neither has given us any bit of trouble, aside from a battery for a sensor going out on the Defender, that the dealer replaced under warranty.

They are similarly used vehicles, but different at the same time. Some people still hold onto the reliability problems that LR used to have. The new Defenders do not have a reliability issue, I too was a bit worried because it has a 100% new engine and we bought it really before reviews came out. It will likely take years, if not decades for people to forgive LR of the past.

Few differences between the two that I like/dislike;

Bronco:
1. Obvious one is the top coming off, and doors. Wife and I LOVE riding around like that, Defender just can't do it. Really can't overstate this difference.
2. Can get with 35's stock.
3. A billion accessories out for it, for virtually every part of the vehicle.
4. Not Bronco specific, but the Ford pass app with Sync4. Being able to set a start time, so that the vehicle will auto start is fantastic. Defender app is nice, can remote start and other things, but cannot set a time for it to auto start. And the heated windshield, steering wheel and seats do not come on when setting the temp to 90 and starting it with the Defender app. This pisses me off so much, why the hell do these not turn on when its 30 degrees outside and you remote start it? VERY annoying. I work in a very secure location, have to leave my phone in the car. So the timed auto start up is a game changer for me. Love walking to my car and it be warm in the winter, and AC on in the summer. Most people can have their phone 24/7, so the timed start isn't a big deal, for me it is.
5. Easier to "wash out" if you want to, after getting into the mud. More rugged on the inside.
6. I don't have one, but can get it with a manual.
7. Can get factory AUX switches with wires pre ran, making accessories easier to install.

Defender:
1. Now, can get with a V8. Can get 3rd row.
2. The sound system is a MILLION times better in the Defender, especially with the top system. I have upgraded all 6 of my speakers, added two amps, and a 12" tailgate sub to the Bronco. But the stock system was the worst I have ever heard in any new vehicle, especially being well over 60k.
3. Customizable digital dash, being able to change what information is in the dash. A bigger, and MUCH better screen for the main screen. The clarity of the Defender screen is far superior than that of the Bronco. Some may say it doesn't matter, and that's fine. But I don't know anyone who wouldn't pick a higher rez screen over a lower one. The clarity difference is huge, and can get a much larger screen also.
4. Air suspension is very nice. Rides well, and can set it to lower when put into park to make it easier getting in and out. Help to get into parking garages with the roof rack on. Still doesn't make them all though. When the Defender is raised all the way up the rack hits our garage door, go down one setting and fits. Can't lower Broncos down to get in garages.
5. Can get with a factory air compressor for inflating tires.
6. Can get cooled seats, and rear seats can get heat/cool too. Riding around in the dirty south in summer time with top off the Bronco, 90% humidity, and no cooled seats is not great. Cooled seats on the Bronco would be great.
7. A downer at the same time, because the top doesn't come off, but the Defender can hold more weight on the roof for tents, and other accessories.
8. Defender is MUCH quieter to drive.
9. Can get with front and rear fog lights stock. I know Raptor can get front fogs.
10. Longer factory warranty.

There are several more but those are the biggest. It's not an us vs. them thing, but people still act like that. Being happy for someone who likes their vehicle, and not making snide comments isn't hard, but seems to be for a few. Getting in the Defender after driving the Bronco for a while is such a drastic difference in luxury. The steering wheel is soft in the hands, it steers smoother, etc. But getting in the Bronco is equally nice, in a different way. More rugged and no nonsense. I can appreciate the difference between the two, as I said, similar but different. I prefer the Bronco, but don't complain when I get to drive my wife's Defender either. I'll try to dig up some pics later, tiny one in profile pic now.

Last edited:

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I find it interesting that the Bronco is x-shopped with the Defender. NO ONE EVER x-shopped a Wrangler with one. If nothing else this says so much more about the Bronco compared to Wrangler.

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I dont think we actually have any side by side except for my profile pic when I first got it. But we took hers to Windrock a few months ago, and then mine in the driveway.
Ford Bronco Bronco vs Defender 20230829_161808
Ford Bronco Bronco vs Defender FB_IMG_1704501809296

OP
OP
Hunger&SharkTooth

Hunger&SharkTooth

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We have both Defender 110 and Bronco 2 door. Bought the Defender Sept of 2020, and have put several things on it, about 10k worth of accessories. For at least a year, Defenders were very hard to come by. Little over 30k miles on it now. Took forever to get aftermarket parts, but they eventually started coming out. Lucky8 has many nice parts. Got the Bronco in August 2022, and have done many upgrades to it as well, about 16k miles on it. Neither has given us any bit of trouble, aside from a battery for a sensor going out on the Defender, that the dealer replaced under warranty.

They are similarly used vehicles, but different at the same time. Some people still hold onto the reliability problems that LR used to have. The new Defenders do not have a reliability issue, I too was a bit worried because it has a 100% new engine and we bought it really before reviews came out. It will likely take years, if not decades for people to forgive LR of the past.

Few differences between the two that I like/dislike;

Bronco:
1. Obvious one is the top coming off, and doors. Wife and I LOVE riding around like that, Defender just can't do it. Really can't overstate this difference.
2. Can get with 35's stock.
3. A billion accessories out for it, for virtually every part of the vehicle.
4. Not Bronco specific, but the Ford pass app with Sync4. Being able to set a start time, so that the vehicle will auto start is fantastic. Defender app is nice, can remote start and other things, but cannot set a time for it to auto start. And the heated windshield, steering wheel and seats do not come on when setting the temp to 90 and starting it with the Defender app. This pisses me off so much, why the hell do these not turn on when its 30 degrees outside and you remote start it? VERY annoying. I work in a very secure location, have to leave my phone in the car. So the timed auto start up is a game changer for me. Love walking to my car and it be warm in the winter, and AC on in the summer. Most people can have their phone 24/7, so the timed start isn't a big deal, for me it is.
5. Easier to "wash out" if you want to, after getting into the mud. More rugged on the inside.
6. I don't have one, but can get it with a manual.
7. Can get factory AUX switches with wires pre ran, making accessories easier to install.

Defender:
1. Now, can get with a V8. Can get 3rd row.
2. The sound system is a MILLION times better in the Defender, especially with the top system. I have upgraded all 6 of my speakers, added two amps, and a 12" tailgate sub to the Bronco. But the stock system was the worst I have ever heard in any new vehicle, especially being well over 60k.
3. Customizable digital dash, being able to change what information is in the dash. A bigger, and MUCH better screen for the main screen. The clarity of the Defender screen is far superior than that of the Bronco. Some may say it doesn't matter, and that's fine. But I don't know anyone who wouldn't pick a higher rez screen over a lower one. The clarity difference is huge, and can get a much larger screen also.
4. Air suspension is very nice. Rides well, and can set it to lower when put into park to make it easier getting in and out. Help to get into parking garages with the roof rack on. Still doesn't make them all though. When the Defender is raised all the way up the rack hits our garage door, go down one setting and fits. Can't lower Broncos down to get in garages.
5. Can get with a factory air compressor for inflating tires.
6. Can get cooled seats, and rear seats can get heat/cool too. Riding around in the dirty south in summer time with top off the Bronco, 90% humidity, and no cooled seats is not great. Cooled seats on the Bronco would be great.
7. A downer at the same time, because the top doesn't come off, but the Defender can hold more weight on the roof for tents, and other accessories.
8. Defender is MUCH quieter to drive.
9. Can get with front and rear fog lights stock. I know Raptor can get front fogs.
10. Longer factory warranty.

There are several more but those are the biggest. It's not an us vs. them thing, but people still act like that. Being happy for someone who likes their vehicle, and not making snide comments isn't hard, but seems to be for a few. Getting in the Defender after driving the Bronco for a while is such a drastic difference in luxury. The steering wheel is soft in the hands, it steers smoother, etc. But getting in the Bronco is equally nice, in a different way. More rugged and no nonsense. I can appreciate the difference between the two, as I said, similar but different. I prefer the Bronco, but don't complain when I get to drive my wife's Defender either. I'll try to dig up some pics later, tiny one in profile pic now.
love the depth of this analysis. Honestly I love both vehicles for different reasons.
Sponsored