First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Impressive maths. The material quality of the bronco interior will never match the Land Rovers. Pretty sure you'd have to compare the stock wildtrack package to the defender 90 with offroad package for closest comparison. Me too lazy to do maths today
I checked out a new Defender 4 door at the local dealer last week. Interior materials were not that great. I was expecting nicer materials. Some lower plastics were nasty. I was also surprised how BIG the 4 door Defender was; tall, long, and heavy. Outside, they had a base white 4 door (Sold...) with white steel wheels and only $1500 worth of options, MSRP only $54,000. It gets you thinking...
Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously there is a lot more to consider than the price, especially on paper. The value of the Defender, in my opinion, is much higher.

I want a Bronco, for Bronco sake. I like the Defender, and it's, I'm sure, a better vehicle than the Bronco, but I want what I want.
By “better”, do you, mean less reliable? lol

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The only plus side I see for the Defender is the independent rear suspension.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not getting the problem - can’t you control the climate on a basesquatch with a dial or something?

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I checked out a new Defender 4 door at the local dealer last week. Interior materials were not that great. I was expecting nicer materials. Some lower plastics were nasty. I was also surprised how BIG the 4 door Defender was; tall, long, and heavy. Outside, they had a base white 4 door (Sold...) with white steel wheels and only $1500 worth of options, MSRP only $54,000. It gets you thinking...
If you are getting a vehicle for off-road use, really, how nice do you want the interior? Low-rung inexpensive European cars don't have all that great interiors (I have four BMW 3-series variants - so I know of what I speak). Looking at 4-bangers, I'd much rather have the larger, less-stressed, 2.3L Ecoboost that is in many different Ford products and has hundreds of millions of miles of real world testing and resultant engineering updates since it was introduced 5 years ago.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
By “better”, do you, mean less reliable? lol
No; I mean quality of materials, technology, options, user interface, and most of the things that impact the driver and drivability. Those things will be better in the LR/Defender. It's just going to be a much more refined and technologically advanced vehicle than the Bronco. The "value" of the LR will be higher than the Bronco. It'll be like paying too much for cheddar cheese that is made in the US versus a slightly higher-priced, but much higher quality, European cheese. I'm hungry.

VGK_Fan

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Audi S5 Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What makes you think you need a headliner to get to "JLR" noise levels. Are you referring to a rubicon
I'm assuming he means Jaguar Land Rover. Or he's smoking crack ?‍♂

Hokie_98

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW M2, 2019 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Long time Lurker here. With all the option prices rising on the Ford bronco I decided to take another look at the Defender. So I decided to price out a stripper offroader defender and then option up a Bronco to get them as close to the same feature set as reasonable. Its making me question fords Pricing models.

Defender 90 MSRP: $47,450
Off Road Pack : $1,550
Total: $49,000

Bronco Outer Banks (2door): $40,450
Sound deadening: $450 (needed to get even close to JLR road noise levels)
High package: $1,295 (360 system and other features)
Advanced 4x4: $1590
Total: $43,830

Difference: $5,170

If you want a squatch then the difference shrinks further.
Land Rover: $52,200 (+terrain response 2 and Air suspension)
Bronco: $48,855 (+sasquatch)
Difference: $3,345

All I wanted was a Bronco with 3 options, auto, climate control and lockers but that bumps me from 28.5k base to $42k. Never thought I would wish for Ford to give me a Porsche style options list.
I think you are bringing up a great comparison here. I’ve also looked at the Defender 90 build and price. What’s really got me stuck currently as a huge Bronco fan (I’ve owned a 90, 94, and 96) is the seating options on the 2 door.To my eyes only the 2 door versions of both vehicles have the right look, but the Defender 90 will seat up to 6 with the front jump seat vs 4 in the 2 door Bronco. I love that jump seat option. I can’t be the only one with kids who still want something sporty that will hold more than 4 passengers, but doesn’t want the 4 door (again it’s all aesthetics). It’s been a little frustrating, and with the current interior options on the Bronco it’s not looking as appealing. The only nice interior option that doesn’t have weird 2 tones and even weirder patterns (camo print??) is the mgv on the Badlands. My current Badlands build for a 2 door is now at $53k (6 cyl). The Defender 90 on steelies in pangea green with white roof and the 6 passenger seating is at $56k (4 cyl). I love that both of these vehicles exist btw. It seemed so unlikely even just 3 years ago.

OP
OP

zeaken

Outer Banks
First Name
Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Despite the fact we treat "dealer" as a 4-letter word, Ford's service network is perhaps their biggest ace in the hole. Once I move away from the 'big 3', everyone else is the same 1 hour 40 minute drive you describe.
I must live in a car dealer heaven. I have every non super car brand including Alfa and Maserati within 10 minutes of me and I don't live in a major city. I totally get not wanting to own a car you couldnt easily have serviced locally though. It was quite a headache finding a third party shop willing to work on my old Porsche.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't live in a major city.
well, don't feel too sorry for me. By choice, I'm in a 2-traffic-light town at 4,000 ft elevation in the Appalacian mountains. But, I do envy the vehicle menu just outside your door.

Sponsored

Wahoowa

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honda Element look alike that breaks all the time - pass

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is all I have to say about the defender...

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No; I mean quality of materials, technology, options, user interface, and most of the things that impact the driver and drivability. Those things will be better in the LR/Defender. It's just going to be a much more refined and technologically advanced vehicle than the Bronco. The "value" of the LR will be higher than the Bronco. It'll be like paying too much for cheddar cheese that is made in the US versus a slightly higher-priced, but much higher quality, European cheese. I'm hungry.
Maybe, but my experience with British vehicles (just borrowed, servicing or family owned) was it quirky and unique. Not noticeably “better” experience. None of them were reliable and all of them expensive. To each there own, but I would not expect better drive ability or technology in the Land Rover. That may not be the case and I have only looked at them so far. My impression......quirky, unique and expensive.

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you ever really owned or known anyone you can trust their word, who owned one?
They are a mishmash of “other peoples” technology and parts...destined to fail! lol
I couldn’t tell you about European cheddar, I prefer Bothwell...
Sponsored