Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey 6G,

I want to thank everyone who made it out to our third SoCal meetup. We had a fantastic group of 7 joining us on the trail that day. We had a full spread of Broncos on the run, with various levels of modification.

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7346.JPG

We started our day with a drivers meet in Ocotillo, and then quickly made our way to Canyon Sin Nombre. The trail was guarded by an easy rock garden, and was soon followed by flowing trails with tall canyon walls that were rich in color. Most of the trail was sand and loose dirt, which was addressed with lower tire pressures and some smooth driving.

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7355.JPG

Once we cleared the canyon, we regrouped together before we ventured over to the mud caves trail loop. We entered it from the east heading north, and were quickly greeted by more majestic canyons. They were tall and carried a presence to be enjoyed, but when you saw the occasional wall collapse you knew they should be respected.

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7361.JPG

After we made our way through a tight squeeze or two, we headed to the most northern part of the loop for lunch. From there we went in search for the mud caves. While looking a little lost, we made some more friends along the way searching for the caves themselves. After a few short miles we finally found them on the west side of the trail.

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7378.JPG

If you haven’t seen the mud caves in person, you should make the pilgrimage. They are cool to explore and offer a ton of great photo opportunities. If you do make the journey, please take caution, it’s extremely rare but they can collapse and should be respected when exploring.

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7403.JPG
Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7408.JPG

Once we saw the caves we made our way to camp in Fish Creek which forced us to take the Diablo Drop Off. The Diablo Drop Off use to be much worse, but over the years has been managed better, and now is passable by most 4x4s. The most difficult part is the steep drop off, which looks much worse than it is.

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7413.JPG

Take it slow and focus on a line that your ride can handle. Most of us found the most difficult line was easily handled by a sasquatched Bronco, and the non-sasquatch found the line to the right the best rout. Again, go slow and control your descent and you’ll be fine. From there we found a tight canyon mixed with rock gardens and a few squeezes. After the day of driving and completing the drop off, this really felt like and easy finisher to the trail.

Once we completed the drop off, it brought us to Fish Creek Wash. Fish Creek was is an easy drive, but a bumpy one to say the least. The wash is made of loose dirt/ sand and is very choppy, and its helpful to know that going faster can smooth the ride out at times. After a few group photos we made our way to camp.
Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7430.JPG

That night we had 4 Bronco stay overnight, and the weather couldn’t be any better. It was a perfect 70° with minimal wind, it was surreal how perfect it was while the sun was setting over the hills. After an early dinner, and after some great campfire conversation, we packed it in for the night.

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7457.JPG
Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7470.JPG

The next day we abbreviated our original plans, and decided to just check out the Borrego Springs Metal Sculptures and get some lunch. These sculptures were a sight to see. They were unique pieces of art placed throughout the community, and were fun to drive to and take photos with. The serpent is by far the most impressive, its hard to understand its presence without seeing it in person.

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7507.JPG
Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7527.JPG
Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7503.JPG

After a hearty meal at the Red Ocotillo we decided to part ways and head home to share our experiences with our friends and family. Again, I’d like to thank everyone who made the event. Your positive attitudes, and joyful spirit made the trip a fun and positive experience.

Here is a link to the video I made for our run Link to Video on YouTube. I look forward to putting more of these together. Next month I’ll be at the Bronco Bash up in Big Bear CA, however I’m planning the July meetup and looking for some fun trails, so if you have any ideas throw them down below for us!

Cheers,

AJ

@deejay08 @Knownman @Scottswanny @Majidsho @BroncoMeh @Stormi22

Ford Bronco Anza-Borrego 🗻 SoCal Meetup Report 05.21.22 IMG_7504.JPG

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for the pics and vid!!! Looks like an awesome place to visit.

Take it slow and focus on a line that your ride can handle. Most of us found the most difficult line was easily handled by a sasquatched Bronco, and the non-sasquatch found the line to the right the best rout. Again, go slow and control your descent and you’ll be fine.
Looks like that hill descent was not too bad and also lots of fun. Wonder if "Trail Control" would have been smoother. Not sure whether the Bronco in the video was an automatic. We learned about it at Off-Rodeo Austin. It really helps reduce the pucker factor on steep descents.

Scottswanny

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@SVCOFFROAD Great write up and pictures!! Thanks for being our "tour guide" on our adventure. I had a great time on our trip. I can't wait for more adventures in the future.

Sponsored

theentirety

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up and how do I join the next one? I'm in San Diego.

FloatingMoat

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, BMW F800GSA & Onewheel Pint
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will be making one of these sooner or later! (5 more months and my Baby will be ready!)

OP
OP
SVCOFFROAD

SVCOFFROAD

Big Bend
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

OP
OP
SVCOFFROAD

SVCOFFROAD

Big Bend
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the pics and vid!!! Looks like an awesome place to visit.

Looks like that hill descent was not too bad and also lots of fun. Wonder if "Trail Control" would have been smoother. Not sure whether the Bronco in the video was an automatic. We learned about it at Off-Rodeo Austin. It really helps reduce the pucker factor on steep descents.
Could have, but in my experience the best tools to have are level headed driving and a good spotter.

Heca10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the invite 🙄 😒
Where can I find out events in here again. I'm local.

Sponsored

Heca10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the invite 🙄 😒
Where can I find out events in here again. I'm local.

jonesh242

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trail-Squak, YT Capra 29er & Decoy Mullet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking forward to meeting up with Y'all if/when my Bronco gets built. Cheers.

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious, an badlands with the sway bar disconnect and if so, did these fare better than the other models that do not have this?

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's a great trip. I did Canyon Sin Nombre and the mud caves back in the 90's. Can you still drop down from Anza and drive the canyon into the area? Coyote Canyon maybe? I can't remember the exact name but it was a fun drive. Did you catch the pictographs (petroglyphs maybe) and the grinding holes near the mud caves? They are definitely worth seeing.
Sponsored