First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS 7, Ram 3500, Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very nice. White grill? How do we keep the white clean, or keep it from getting dingy?
Top will be easy to clean, Fender flares should be molded in color and also easy to clean.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can someone do a 4 door Area 51 Soft Top Black Diamond render in all combinations?

Would most like to see this....

soft top on with doors on but windows down and rear cargo windows zipped out

Others:

Soft top on
soft top down
soft top on with doors off
soft top down with doors off
soft top on, with doors off and cargo windows zipped out

Please? Anyone?

AcenTitus

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone think Area 51 might resemble this retro build? (I know the top pic is Cactus gray)

20200822_122429.jpg

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For Most of these colors...Anything would be an improvement

Yeah, but for some reason that's how it is for a lot of vehicles. Was looking at the Edge and there's a not a single color my wife likes. Seems like these days your choices are black, white, and some mixture of the two.

If velocity blue delays my build, I'll go Area 51, but half heartedly.

Six Miles South

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's my two cents. Non-metallic colors absolutely harken back to the 50s and 60s and I love them because I think they enhance the lines of the vehicle. Metallic paints scatter light, so you don't get a crisp visual edge. It all comes down to your eyesight.

Non-metallics are easier to touch up (a few questions about this in this thread). Metallics are difficult, even if you have the right color -- the way the metal flakes land on the surface can vary. I worked at a restoration shop and talked with a bodyshop guy about this. He said he as he is applying paint, it's drying mid-air. If he applies it closer, it hits the metal wetter and this affects how the flakes "stand up." The issue is applying it exactly how the factory did. This is why you can spot usually spot a body panel that's been repainted. It's the right color, but something is off. If you want to piss people off at a car show, do this. Again, some people can't see it. Depends on your eyes.

And let's not confuse non-metallics for matte or flat. This still has a sheen to it, but has no metal flake in it.

As for the name, I think they named this for the color of the sky, after sunset, after civil twilight maybe around nautical twilight. The color of your sky may differ! Marketing dudes said, "hey, this color sort of looks like sky before it gets dark. Let's give it a really cool story, like you're out in the desert, the sun's gone down and you see something out in the distance but aren't sure what it is.. like aircraft blending into the sky. Area 51? Let's go to lunch."

Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's my two cents. Non-metallic colors absolutely harken back to the 50s and 60s and I love them because I think they enhance the lines of the vehicle. Metallic paints scatter light, so you don't get a crisp visual edge. It all comes down to your eyesight.

Non-metallics are easier to touch up (a few questions about this in this thread). Metallics are difficult, even if you have the right color -- the way the metal flakes land on the surface can vary. I worked at a restoration shop and talked with a bodyshop guy about this. He said he as he is applying paint, it's drying mid-air. If he applies it closer, it hits the metal wetter and this affects how the flakes "stand up." The issue is applying it exactly how the factory did. This is why you can spot usually spot a body panel that's been repainted. It's the right color, but something is off. If you want to piss people off at a car show, do this. Again, some people can't see it. Depends on your eyes.

And let's not confuse non-metallics for matte or flat. This still has a sheen to it, but has no metal flake in it.

As for the name, I think they named this for the color of the sky, after sunset, after civil twilight maybe around nautical twilight. The color of your sky may differ! Marketing dudes said, "hey, this color sort of looks like sky before it gets dark. Let's give it a really cool story, like you're out in the desert, the sun's gone down and you see something out in the distance but aren't sure what it is.. like aircraft blending into the sky. Area 51? Let's go to lunch."
Very interesting about the paint process.

I agree on non-metallics. I like them a lot too, especially if they come without clear coat. Yes they will oxidize, but a little polish and they look like new. And you never have to worry about clear coat peeling.

Does anyone know if these non-metallic colors will have a clear coat on them? I assume they will because everyone does it these days, but its possible. I know some Toyota whites leave the factory without clear coat.

On the name, I think the they got it from "the Grays". You know, aliens. The aliens rumored to be housed at Area 51 :rolleyes: are a bluish-gray color.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Does anyone know if these non-metallic colors will have a clear coat on them? I assume they will because everyone does it these days, but its possible. I know some Toyota whites leave the factory without clear coat.
All modern automotive paints have a clear coat. It’s what makes them shiny.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the aliens abducted the Ford rep and gave him this color combo and sent him back with the instructions to make it Area 51.

Six Miles South

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the name, I think the they got it from "the Grays". You know, aliens. The aliens rumored to be housed at Area 51 :rolleyes: are a bluish-gray color.
I like the thinking on the grays. I support Ford bringing attention to the creatures hiding in the shadows -- from aliens to the 'Squatch. Cue the X Files music.
Sponsored