First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 galaxie /2017 f450 /2021 f150 / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sad and happy post, my kiddo and I are ok, but wanted to share info. We were in a head on collision coming home Wednesday night (12/14). A lady crossed over into our lane on a undivided hwy (loop 567). I saw it coming, hoping she would correct or move, I moved over on the shoulder as far as I could and swerved left at the last second as to not take it directly head on. So happy to say the kiddo was not harmed at all. Car seat in the middle of the back seat hooked into the points. The Bronco took the hit like a champ, it stayed rigid, all safety features worked, and went into a crash mode perfectly. The passenger side interior was ok as well, it did not crush in. I am 10x more of a fan than I already was (if that’s possible, Sept 2021 delivery day 1 res).

Great job Ford and your engineers. Thank you, I have no doubt the Sasquatch build helped a great deal. My Bronco is done, but we are so thankful and it’s a great day.

FFD6CC0C-BB57-4004-AEE4-2CF409153197.jpeg

4D8AF684-3B01-4835-A458-BA4858B1106C.jpg

head on collision bronco badlands sasquatch.jpg
Glad your all ok. I’m a retired police officer and seen to many head on crashes go bad. God bless you all and now enjoy the holidays, you can always get another Bronco.
Sponsored

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sad and happy post, my kiddo and I are ok, but wanted to share info. We were in a head on collision coming home Wednesday night (12/14). A lady crossed over into our lane on a undivided hwy (loop 567). I saw it coming, hoping she would correct or move, I moved over on the shoulder as far as I could and swerved left at the last second as to not take it directly head on. So happy to say the kiddo was not harmed at all. Car seat in the middle of the back seat hooked into the points. The Bronco took the hit like a champ, it stayed rigid, all safety features worked, and went into a crash mode perfectly. The passenger side interior was ok as well, it did not crush in. I am 10x more of a fan than I already was (if that’s possible, Sept 2021 delivery day 1 res).

Great job Ford and your engineers. Thank you, I have no doubt the Sasquatch build helped a great deal. My Bronco is done, but we are so thankful and it’s a great day.

Love love the gratitude perspective. Felt your pain from similar no fault few months back
Ford Bronco Head on collision report - we walked away OK from our destroyed Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 20220906_125555

Ford Bronco Head on collision report - we walked away OK from our destroyed Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 20220906_125449

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Something to consider before you remove your crash bars to get more space for tires. Glad everyone is ok.
How are the crash bars on that Raptor?

BeachBronco21

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am glad you're okay. As winter approaches, I am starting to worry more about accidents. Thank you for sharing this information. I'm glad to see the Bronco kept you safe.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Glad everyone in the Bronco is ok.

I’ll throw in a plug for running a dashcam here. It’s good to have evidence for the investigation or lawsuit. I used to drive 50-70K per year for work and captured more than my share of near hits on the road. My worst one was a 70 mph near head on with a Porsche Cayenne that was trying to pass where they weren’t supposed to on the Navajo reservation between Flagstaff and Page, AZ. Three vehicles in a row were trying to pass a camper in a no passing zone. The first one was inconsiderate, the second was close, the Porsche was unexpected and really late on the pass (it had to be going 90 mph). The Cayenne is heavier and more solid than my Passat and the combined speed would’ve been in the 160 mph range, probably fatal. I pushed over as far as possible and avoided the hit, but it was damn close. I considered a full ditch to avoid the head on but there was a guard rail and a 10’ drop into a dry creek full of boulders, so not a good option either. I showed my wife the video, she turned pale and hugged me without letting go for at least a minute. I’m guessing the OP’s family had a similar reaction.

Sponsored

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I seriously doubt that the crash bars will have much impact (pun intended) on the overall safety of the vehicle in a crash. In fact, they would prevent some movement with the wheel in certain crashes. The more deformation, the more energy absorbed. But the total would be low compared to the rest of the structure. It is all about lowering the Gs and cockpit intrusions.

sgriffin911

Outer Banks
First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX "Largo" + 7 other Fords 1964-2019
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My bronco is in the shop for a lesser wreck last month. Head on as well, Bronco is a beast, destroyed the other car, and drove it home .
Glad you are okay as well! Head on collisions are the worst.

sgriffin911

Outer Banks
First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX "Largo" + 7 other Fords 1964-2019
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So thankful you and your child will be alright!! That is what is most important! Seeing your pictures gave me a flashback to my accident 12/15/2005. I was pit maneuvered(hit-n-run) while in the far right lane of a 6 lane freeway. Crossed 5 lanes of traffic and went head-on at approx 70mph into the concrete middle divider. I have been thanking the Ford Engineers ever since. My 2003 T-Bird, it didn't survive but I walked away. Wishing you all the best for the Holidays, may a new Bronco come your way very soon.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you have your front crash bars taken out ? Wondering how it effected your collision. Glad you and family are well. 👍
Sorry about the Bronco.
Sasquatch models don’t have them from the factory.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dang!! First glad to hear you and your child are well! In the world we live in be ready to be sued by then other persons family or them. Sad to think like that but it’s happened to people I know who were in accidents and clearly not at fault. Glad to hear the bronco held up and kept you safe as we have two we drive daily with kids. If you decide to replace it with another Bronco I hope your wait is shorter than the first.

Sponsored

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Normally I would say it will buff out, but I don't think so in your case....seriously though, glad to hear you're all ok, that looks brutal 😢

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Broncos are replaceable but your family is not. Glad you all were okay and your Bronco protected you all.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All this talk about crash bars... and one thing no one ever mentions...

What kind of BUMPER are you running?

While bumper type doesn't make up for having the rear crash bars missing on a SAS-equipped Bronco (or any Bronco with the crash bars removed). I imagine there is a significant difference in crashworthiness between different bumpers: plastic vs capable vs modular vs the spectrum of aftermarket bumpers.

I don't know the numbers, but I would bet the majority of SAS-equipped Broncos are running mod bumpers. There's also a good chance that anyone modifying their non-SAS Bronco to the point of removing the crash bars... is a bit more likely to be someone that would be upgrading to an aftermarket bumper.

Just a thought. I think what's in front of those crash bars is pretty important... and might be getting overlooked cases like this.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Know it alls commenting about crash bars removed not knowing their rig has no crash bars.

Ford Bronco Head on collision report - we walked away OK from our destroyed Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 8D6FDD0E-140E-4FBC-9613-1CCCE429F4DC

Glad you and family ok OP.
Sponsored