Sponsored

Whats your favorite GOAT mode to wheel in?

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Obviously it depends on what terrain you are wheeling in, but I found one mode in particular that I really like. Sand mode.

For some reason Sand mode seems to check all the boxes in terms of throttle response, trans shift schedules and 4wd management. I was out this last weekend in a mixture of sand, mud and some rock and I kept going back to sand mode no matter what I was in.

Might be completely circumstantial, but it was by accident I landed in sand mode. Was trying to get into baja for some quick runs across a deep sandy part of trail, and sand mode seemed to do better. Same with the muddy parts we were in. Sand mode. By the end of the day, I had set it and forget it in sand mode by quite a few hours.

Mud mode was fine but the trans felt weird. It couldnt figure out what gear it wanted to be in when I was just putting along at a static throttle pedal.

But I was curious what mode you all like or have a go-to GOAT mode when wheeling in your favorite part of the trails?

1715281202742-0c.png
Have used both slippery (winter driving on unplowed mountain county road in CO) and sand (OBX) and was very happy with performance in both in my BB. After going to the off rodeo in TX and listening to the trail guides, was convinced that you might as well use all of the electronics provided by the GOAT modes to assist when needed. Have not been disappointed the few times I required them. That being said, being an old guy who also used this as a daily driver, I'm ashamed to say ECO is what I use most :rolleyes:
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

it has a reduced throttle response, which, seems to me, is good for smooth crawling, according to the chart on the first page, it also softens the shifting of the transmission (seems to be smoother even in 4Lo, which traditionally 4Lo can have rough shift points due to torque).. by default the lockers are off so if I find myself in spot where tires do spin (soft ground or loose rocks) I can throw the rear locker on and make it through. Granted, like most of us, I’m still exploring the different modes and I’m looking forward to diving deeper into sand mode per some of the recommendations/comments here. I’m also more of a don’t use it til you need it, so having the lockers off in slippery by default is good peace of mind, lockers are great when needed but are also a great way to break drivetrain parts, lots of binding with lockers on. Although I’d love to see how different the rock crawling is with steering set to “tight”..
Thanks. Sometimes in a moment of panic I might get a bit aggressive with the throttle, so maybe Slippery would soften that. Reduce risk of broken parts. I'll have to try it. I'm usually in manual mode when crawling so soft shifting may not come into play.

TerryB

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Badlands Sasquatch, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I came from the jeep world so i started out just pushing my own buttons. I was shocked the first time i tried sand mode though. I especially like the adjustments to the steering. So for those of yo who haven’t tried different modes, the tweaks to steering, throttle and shifting are well worth it, and don’t make you a woosy (can i still say that?).
What mode is everyone using on forest trails since there’s really no goat mode for that.
Sponsored