Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been thinking on this for a bit this morning before throwing my 2 cents in.
I am a huge fan of people doing what they want with the vehicles they pay for and/or own.
Not all of my choices where I've laid down color or graphics are popular with some folks. Sometimes a lot more than just some folks.
And that's ok. They don't own the vehicle or my shop.

The AMB is a sore spot for many who wanted it but never got it, I get that too.

Kudos points for:
-Originality and the stones to take a DA to a new ride and completely change the color in a big way.
-An Actual Spray booth job.
-Finish on the exterior panels looks good in the pics. Color saturation looks even, good gloss and DOI on the clear.
-A beautiful color that yes, Ford SHOULD have offered but sadly did not. So those of us with the ability to make it what we want can do what we want.

Some critique, one painter to another with a comparable amount of years behind me:
-R&I (remove and install) everything that can be relatively easy. I remove lights, mirrors, handles, badges, and on a high-end or resto job, all of the glass, seals, interior. Stuff taped off is asking for coating failure down the road because of the inconsistent film build at that tape edge.
I've done it, its not always the best way or best practice, but it's a gamble on stuff that is the ultra-budget job that the scope of the job required.
Meaning if the customer is one of the "what's the least this is gonna cost and how can I reduce even that number?" jobs.
But anymore I just choose NOT to do those level of jobs. My name is going on it. If anyone wants less quality or effort to do right, there are plenty of folks to shoot paint somewhere else. Ask them to do it.

-Overspray. Also as a guy with experience, you had to know some eagle-eyes were gonna see that and call it out. It is what it is.

Overall this post doesn't phase or concern me a bit. It's not my ride, not my $$.
But to do the desired outcome and just visual needs the vehicle deserves, I would have put a little more effort and little more time in the prep and execution (R&I, rear cargo jamb, under hood).
And maybe some better products if you are all-in for less than $1K. I hope that if the base was budget-level that at least you had some quality Clear to go over it with. Most clears look good when fresh, some even great. For a while. Until they don't. Clear is one area I stick with a select few items from only 1 or 2 manufacturers.

In the end, you made it what you wanted and if YOU are happy with the results, rock on. Exterior looks good to me. Color is a bold but great choice.

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been thinking on this for a bit this morning before throwing my 2 cents in.
I am a huge fan of people doing what they want with the vehicles they pay for and/or own.
Not all of my choices where I've laid down color or graphics are popular with some folks. Sometimes a lot more than just some folks.
And that's ok. They don't own the vehicle or my shop.

The AMB is a sore spot for many who wanted it but never got it, I get that too.

Kudos points for:
-Originality and the stones to take a DA to a new ride and completely change the color in a big way.
-An Actual Spray booth job.
-Finish on the exterior panels looks good in the pics. Color saturation looks even, good gloss and DOI on the clear.
-A beautiful color that yes, Ford SHOULD have offered but sadly did not. So those of us with the ability to make it what we want can do what we want.

Some critique, one painter to another with a comparable amount of years behind me:
-R&I (remove and install) everything that can be relatively easy. I remove lights, mirrors, handles, badges, and on a high-end or resto job, all of the glass, seals, interior. Stuff taped off is asking for coating failure down the road because of the inconsistent film build at that tape edge.
I've done it, its not always the best way or best practice, but it's a gamble on stuff that is the ultra-budget job that the scope of the job required.
Meaning if the customer is one of the "what's the least this is gonna cost and how can I reduce even that number?" jobs.
But anymore I just choose NOT to do those level of jobs. My name is going on it. If anyone wants less quality or effort to do right, there are plenty of folks to shoot paint somewhere else. Ask them to do it.

-Overspray. Also as a guy with experience, you had to know some eagle-eyes were gonna see that and call it out. It is what it is.

Overall this post doesn't phase or concern me a bit. It's not my ride, not my $$.
But to do the desired outcome and just visual needs the vehicle deserves, I would have put a little more effort and little more time in the prep and execution (R&I, rear cargo jamb, under hood).
And maybe some better products if you are all-in for less than $1K. I hope that if the base was budget-level that at least you had some quality Clear to go over it with. Most clears look good when fresh, some even great. For a while. Until they don't. Clear is one area I stick with a select few items from only 1 or 2 manufacturers.

In the end, you made it what you wanted and if YOU are happy with the results, rock on. Exterior looks good to me. Color is a bold but great choice.
Dave - great analysis, thanks for all that. Would you say then that something similarly done, changing to AMB or the like, would be about $1k or a little more with proper prep? Thanks

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice to see something more custom than bolting on an Amazon part, way to get it done!!
With AMB just being another name for shadow black, similar to Ford renaming A51, Azure, I call no harm, no foul.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my Shadow Black Bronco to AMB, someday. I get it some people do not like the color but I don't understand the looking like shit on a sunny day.
Yeah, sunlight and during the rain for some reason really makes the blue come out.
Any other time it is ...
Always
Mostly
Black.

I kind of get a kick about repainting Shadow Black to AMB.
It's like, "it's the same picture!"

1716235218300-ct.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
β€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, β€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In 2021 we rented an AMB Bronco in Gatlinburg for the weekend. It was cloudy all weekend and until just the other day, my wife thought it was black. It looks black in all the pics too. So I’m not a huge fan of AMB, it just looks like a mediocre black paint job in the shade or any day or night except in full sun. I do LOVE how it looks in the full sun though.

I’m sure Ford will spice up their color options in the future to entice new buyers or us to trade in.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Very nice! That's the blue I really wanted for my Bronco but settled for Velocity Blue. This will make me consider a re-paint or wrap sometime in the future.

HighVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Scrambler, Ferrari 458
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I personally think Grabber Blue is one of the ugliest blues ever put on a vehicle, I know I'm in the minority and think it and the other Grabber colors should be offered on the Broncos from the factory, especially over the 50 shades of gray.

Kudos for you changing to to what you want, and doing the work yourself! Not many have the gumption to take this on.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's like, "it's the same picture!"

(Insert meme)

I get it but......... Boobies are boobies, but not all look the same. :wink:

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks great!! Well done.
Side question, what did you use to wrap the roll cage, did like them black. They go well with the trail view soft top.
I was guessing the cage was still AMB and would look good left that color.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dave - great analysis, thanks for all that. Would you say then that something similarly done, changing to AMB or the like, would be about $1k or a little more with proper prep? Thanks
Considerably more.
One may find some backyard garage guys (no hate, as I am one of those) who will paint your entire vehicle for 2-3K.
Caveat Emptor applies here, if nowhere else in the world.

A 2 door would be less than a 4 door just due to size (less area, 2 less jambs to deal with). Or it should be less.

There are a lot of variables of work content to consider such as under the hood areas, roll bar, etc. that will greatly impact pricing.
The grade of materials used factors in.
And of course the actual labor. A lot of shops average between $75 and $125/hr labor (the average is right at $100 for custom/resto level paint work). Most places will charge time + materials, billed bi-weekly, charges due at that time for work completed.

For instance if it takes 40 hours to do one from the first second of work to that last wipe with a cloth, that's $4K plus the materials, which can easily run between $1500-2K (or more) depending on paint manufacturer used, sandpaper, tape, plastic, additives and prep chemicals, consumable shop supplies, etc.

All that to say If I were to quote a 4 dr Bronco for a color change it would start at about $5K and go up from there depending on what color one wanted it to be, what brand of paint, roll bar or not, and so on.

Economics also plays a part. Paint itself and all additives are up about 80-100% from 3 years ago. It is more difficult to get some colors due to toner shortages. Some stuff you can only get a quart or two of, not even a full gallon.
That same base-level price may be more next year, 6 months from now, 3 years down the line.

I have a job right now I quoted as a range of final cost. It is a 2-3 year long level job. And the price I quoted is quite a bit more of a bargain than it was 2 years ago.

For context, just the paint (no other supplies, primer, or clear coat) enough to paint a 4 door in and out in AMB would cost about $1200.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Considerably more.
One may find some backyard garage guys (no hate, as I am one of those) who will paint your entire vehicle for 2-3K.
Caveat Emptor applies here, if nowhere else in the world.

A 2 door would be less than a 4 door just due to size (less area, 2 less jambs to deal with). Or it should be less.

There are a lot of variables of work content to consider such as under the hood areas, roll bar, etc. that will greatly impact pricing.
The grade of materials used factors in.
And of course the actual labor. A lot of shops average between $75 and $125/hr labor (the average is right at $100 for custom/resto level paint work). Most places will charge time + materials, billed bi-weekly, charges due at that time for work completed.

For instance if it takes 40 hours to do one from the first second of work to that last wipe with a cloth, that's $4K plus the materials, which can easily run between $1500-2K (or more) depending on paint manufacturer used, sandpaper, tape, plastic, additives and prep chemicals, consumable shop supplies, etc.

All that to say If I were to quote a 4 dr Bronco for a color change it would start at about $5K and go up from there depending on what color one wanted it to be, what brand of paint, roll bar or not, and so on.

Economics also plays a part. Paint itself and all additives are up about 80-100% from 3 years ago. It is more difficult to get some colors due to toner shortages. Some stuff you can only get a quart or two of, not even a full gallon.
That same base-level price may be more next year, 6 months from now, 3 years down the line.

I have a job right now I quoted as a range of final cost. It is a 2-3 year long level job. And the price I quoted is quite a bit more of a bargain than it was 2 years ago.

For context, just the paint (no other supplies, primer, or clear coat) enough to paint a 4 door in and out in AMB would cost about $1200.
Ok thanks for all the detailed thoughts. Huge help. I'm guessing Fordified sent the "laugh" emoji to my first post because I asked about the $1k thing.....I was referring to that amount from your first post but I think you were saying $1k just for the additional touches that you had recommended for the OP.
Sponsored