Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have been curious about shifting options for the 10 spd and found this link helpful:

https://www.wheelsjoint.com/how-to-use-10-speed-transmission-on-ford-ranger/

Of course the trans mission is manually shiftable using the + - button on the shifter while in M (or S?), but it also has progressive range selection . By using the + - buttons while in drive one can lock out the upper gears. Say your driving on a hilly highway where the trans is hunting between 10th and 9 th you can lock out 10th. Or if your off road and the trans wants to upshift too much, you can pick the highest gear you want, say 3rd or 4th, in low range or high. I have found this very useful on my F250 with the select shift 6 spd.
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The manual shifting on my F150 10sp works really well when needed. Another thing that’s cool- sport mode disables stop/start! A side note, the transmission manual shift does have rpm limits on the top and bottom end of the range. It will not up shift to a “stall” or down shifts in excess or the rev limiter. It will bounce off the rev limiter if you accelerate and then hit the rpm limit (no auto upshift) all day as far as I can tell.

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the need for paddle shifters on an automatic?

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What is the need for paddle shifters on an automatic?
The Bronco will not have "paddle" shifters per se, they are usually steering wheel mounted, but a +- button on the left side of the shifter. Immensely valuable while in hilly terrain or off road, especially when going downhill.

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The manual shifting on my F150 10sp works really well when needed. Another thing that’s cool- sport mode disables stop/start! A side note, the transmission manual shift does have rpm limits on the top and bottom end of the range. It will not up shift to a “stall” or down shifts in excess or the rev limiter. It will bounce off the rev limiter if you accelerate and then hit the rpm limit (no auto upshift) all day as far as I can tell.
I've noticed the limiters on my other Fords when I'm in M. If I do something stupid like stopping while I'm locked in a high gear, it will start in 1st, but if still in M will stay in first until I upshift or over rev. If I try to pass while locked in high it will downshift if lugged.

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is all really good info, thanks!

ROCKO

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t think that’s what it is intended for but I guess so

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes with paddle shifters on an automatic, you can shift up or down. If the transmission itself is in automatic mode, then the paddle shifter will typically temporarily shift the trans up or down. But if the transmission is in full manual mode, then the paddle shifters will have full control, and any gear you shift into, the trans will remain in that gear, until you manually shift to another.

The main thing for the Bronco though, will be having the ability (via the lever or whatever), for the driver to hold a desired gear. You want that feature for off-roading, especially as mentioned when descending. My old 1985 CJ-7 with auto trans had that feature. I could shift to first gear, and it held first gear no matter what. So I'm fairly certain the new Bronco will have similar gear holding feature.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the Bronco came with paddle shifters......the manual people might not miss the 3rd pedal as much and could get the 2.7.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

If the Bronco came with paddle shifters......the manual people might not miss the 3rd pedal as much and could get the 2.7.
Paddle shifters aren't even close to the manual.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 10sp currently will hold the gear in my F150 and it should in the Bronco.
Sponsored