mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi All,

Over the holiday weekend I took my family on a road trip from San Diego to Phoenix, total was around 1000 miles consiting of lots of varied condtions (open highway, city, rain, up to 4200ft altitude). We were fully loaded with four people, two dogs, and a family's worth of food, lugage, and Christmas gifts. I'll keep my hot-takes brief so nobody gets bored readng this, but here are a few notible observations (Note - I have a 2.3L/AT 4dr Big Bend, MIC Top, 4.27 rear w/locker, stock except for 285/70R17 Kenda Klever AT2 tires):

1) The near vertical front window is an absolute bug magnet. Plan on lots of cleaning. Bring extra wiper fluid on long trips.

2) Not sure if it's the size/angle of the front window but the windshield wipers seem largley cosmetic in heavy rain. Is RainX still a thing? Does it work?

3) Power to climb/pass/etc. on the highway in the 2.3L/AT is not an issue. Even fully loaded.

4) The wind-noise at highway speed is pretty bad, lots of noise/whistles/etc. from the MIC top for anything over 65 mph. But highway handing is perfect, and road noise was actualy minimal despite running LT all-terrain e-load tires.

5) Here is the big lesson learned though - on the highway wit this set-up, in 10th gear the RPMs sit around 2300 when crusing in the 75-80 mph range. And almost always using at least 2-5 psi boost. It's nice to be in the meat of the powerband, but man it SUCKS for fuel economy. Crusing at 80 on the highway I was lucky to get 18mpg, and often dipped into the 17mpg range. Overal for the trip I averaged about 18mpg. There is a HUGE diference going from 65 to 75-80mph, that jump cost me 2-3mpg.

Since I'll surely spend more time on the highway than off-road with a locked differential, I am wondering if the upgrade to the e-locker was a mistake. However, I also think that 10th gear is a bit short and it was likely optimized for the standard gearing.

All-in-all, it was a great travel partner. Everyone was comfortable and space was adequate.

Oh, and the number of Bronco's seen on the entire trip other than mine? Only one.

Cheers!
Sponsored

CUPRA

Outer Banks
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBXSAS/'23 Camaro SS Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice overview, and what a fun trip. I'm with you, I still haven't seen one out in the wild yet, only mannequins on dealer lots. I've been concerned with the fuel economy figures a little, till I filled up my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee last night and noticed she was only running 18.6mph in that!

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the write up. Wonder when there'll be a bug deflector in the mix...

Sponsored

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We ran several hundred miles with 4 adults and loaded with cargo in a 2.7 WT. kept it at 65 mph. Got 21.1 mpg. I’d rather slow down a little and get better mileage.
I had same experience. I just did Maryland to South Carolina and found I can do 67 with my 2.7 black diamond and it’s fully loaded down with luggage and saw rpm at constant 2,000 and 21.5 mpg.

BroncoZ13

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the review and good to hear getting miles on your new ride. 17-18 is a little surprising as I figured the 2.3 and 33’ tires would be 20+ MPG.
I’m 1100 miles on on my 4 door with 2.7 and 35’s Nittos (also an E rated tire) and sitting at 17.3 MPG with mostly 70-75 mph highway miles and 1 off road weekend

PS I’m in Texas and seeing more and more Broncos on the road each weekend is awesome!

Ford Bronco 1000 mile road-trip: Interesting lessons learned F2287850-9D48-422C-885C-1CCD7752DFD0

Ford Bronco 1000 mile road-trip: Interesting lessons learned 4FBFB195-5C3D-45F3-B5EC-A81B08F5C934

Last edited:

BuffaloBronco87

Outer Banks
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi All,

Over the holiday weekend I took my family on a road trip from San Diego to Phoenix, total was around 1000 miles consiting of lots of varied condtions (open highway, city, rain, up to 4200ft altitude). We were fully loaded with four people, two dogs, and a family's worth of food, lugage, and Christmas gifts. I'll keep my hot-takes brief so nobody gets bored readng this, but here are a few notible observations (Note - I have a 2.3L/AT 4dr Big Bend, MIC Top, 4.27 rear w/locker, stock except for 285/70R17 Kenda Klever AT2 tires):

1) The near vertical front window is an absolute bug magnet. Plan on lots of cleaning. Bring extra wiper fluid on long trips.

2) Not sure if it's the size/angle of the front window but the windshield wipers seem largley cosmetic in heavy rain. Is RainX still a thing? Does it work?

3) Power to climb/pass/etc. on the highway in the 2.3L/AT is not an issue. Even fully loaded.

4) The wind-noise at highway speed is pretty bad, lots of noise/whistles/etc. from the MIC top for anything over 65 mph. But highway handing is perfect, and road noise was actualy minimal despite running LT all-terrain e-load tires.

5) Here is the big lesson learned though - on the highway wit this set-up, in 10th gear the RPMs sit around 2300 when crusing in the 75-80 mph range. And almost always using at least 2-5 psi boost. It's nice to be in the meat of the powerband, but man it SUCKS for fuel economy. Crusing at 80 on the highway I was lucky to get 18mpg, and often dipped into the 17mpg range. Overal for the trip I averaged about 18mpg. There is a HUGE diference going from 65 to 75-80mph, that jump cost me 2-3mpg.

Since I'll surely spend more time on the highway than off-road with a locked differential, I am wondering if the upgrade to the e-locker was a mistake. However, I also think that 10th gear is a bit short and it was likely optimized for the standard gearing.

All-in-all, it was a great travel partner. Everyone was comfortable and space was adequate.

Oh, and the number of Bronco's seen on the entire trip other than mine? Only one.

Cheers!
GReat writeup. I'm wondering if the mpg issue is a 2.3 issue or if eco mode would help. I did a 700 mile road trip to the Adirondacks and back and got 21.6mpg with a Thule on the roof. I have a 2.7 OBX. I had my cruise set at 70. Once I went above that it got noticably louder and lower mpg.

PXL_20211111_163701181.MP.jpg

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
GReat writeup. I'm wondering if the mpg issue is a 2.3 issue or if eco mode would help. I did a 700 mile road trip to the Adirondacks and back and got 21.6mpg with a Thule on the roof. I have a 2.7 OBX. I had my cruise set at 70. Once I went above that it got noticably louder and lower mpg.

Ford Bronco 1000 mile road-trip: Interesting lessons learned PXL_20211111_163701181.MP
I tried eco mode randomly on the trip and it didn't make any difference that I could see. I honestly think that if I had kept it at 65 my mpg average would be closer to 20. Also think the OEM tires and standard differential gearing would get you 1-2 MPG back if you spend a lot of time above 70 mph.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for your feedback. I'm planning a ~7000 mile trip next summer. I doubt I'll exceed 70mph so I'm hoping to average 20.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for your feedback. I'm planning a ~7000 mile trip next summer. I doubt I'll exceed 70mph so I'm hoping to average 20.
Where are you going, the moon?!

OP
OP
mC.242

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One more thing: buy the splash guards. I ordered some from Ruxer Ford as soon as I got home. Trust me.

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For the 25 years I have been driving I cared greatly about gas mileage. Obsessed over it. And initially I did in the Bronco, kept the fuel economy on my digital dash was looking at all the time.

... And then about 300 miles after ownership I decided I wasn't going to care anymore and just went with "Calm Screen". And I'm all the happier for it because now I just enjoy the Bronco.
Sponsored