First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I REALLY wish I could have gotten the basic climate control over the "advanced dual-zone" one in the mid package. Having the airflow direction selection be a pop-up in the center screen rather than dedicated physical controls is ridiculous. Half the time the pop-up is laggy and hard to select on the screen. Also the little rocker toggle to adjust airflow is worse than a simple rotating knob. I miss the controls from my previous 4runner.

Ah, the infamous "smart" wiper motors which attempt to prevent damage to the wiper motor if it "senses" too much resistance when wiping by slowing down the speed.
Interesting that is intentional. Funny how they try to improve things, my 71 got still has it's original wiper motor and arms, wonder how it survived without this "safety".

I was going to purchase a wt, one test drive changed my mind. Not that there is anything wrong with the trim but I am just a more simple person I guess, I will start with the basic slate and make changes based on my own priorities and taste (or lack of taste depending on who you speak with)
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you. I wouldn't have purchased a 4 door or auto trans truck. Not that there is anything wrong with them but part of the draw of the Bronco to me is the working simplicity of it.-From your sister state
Do you know of any good trails out in MO?

Tiresmoke410

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco, 16 F250, 66 F250, 68 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Poverty models. I have a base. And love it. Which it had less software to tell the truth. But it lacks enough to be tolerable.
Analog vacuum assist brakes. Simple obedient hvac. 7mt that is always in the gear I want. I could do with no ambient light. What is there is tolerable but more than I need.

I also have a hard top and seem to have a good one. Wind leakage on the passenger side but other than that silent. No squeaks No rattles. This thing is as quiet as my town car at 60 mph or less. Over 65 things start to get loud but well within reason for a removable top brick. I’m at 5000 miles and average 21 mpg over the winter. Should improve come summer. Always 87 octane.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The stock suspension setups on these Broncos are quite soft. Makes for a very comfortable ride but they dive and roll like crazy. The good news is that aftermarket suspensions help that problem quite a lot.

The 2.3 is a great engine - I had it in my 2021 Ranger Tremor and thought it was excellent. I went with the 2.7 because why not, but I think the 2.3 is plenty of engine for the Bronco.

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
On the topic of Ambient Lights. I have a BD with the MID package which has blue footwell lighting. Well it's supposed to, it works when I turn it on, then I shut the truck off. Next time I start it up, back to off in the settings. So weird, nearly 18k miles and its been like this forever. I don't really care but it's weird.

To all your other points, yep agreed
My ambient lighting work all the time generally. But if a vehicle update was performed overnight and I get in it first thing in the morning they will be off. Certain updates I've found do this reset on the vehicle settings. Annoying when it happens.

Listedguru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Great points. I moved from a newer lexus daily driver to this, and don't miss the luxuries a single bit. Poverty spec makes me feel less bad when I thrash the bronco offroad. I also agree that the bronco is surprisingly a very comfortable highway cruiser. I've pulled up to 27 mpg on longer drives, probably the big bend tires. Cheers!
Just curious how you would rate the wind and road noise on the highway? You mentioned it's a comfortable highway cruiser so I'm curious about the noise and several have mentioned it's terrible? I wonder if it's better on the BB and OBX compared to the base models?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't think my hard top was loud at all except for a weatherstrip gap on the front passenger panel.

Put some 4dr and/or V6 springs on it and the brake dive improves a lot. It's a little more jostly on the little bumps but soaks up the bigger bumps better.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just curious how you would rate the wind and road noise on the highway? You mentioned it's a comfortable highway cruiser so I'm curious about the noise and several have mentioned it's terrible? I wonder if it's better on the BB and OBX compared to the base models?

I was mainly speaking to long distance ride comfort, which the 6g is quite great at. Before I installed my sunrider front section & ditch lights, the noise levels were pretty decent on the highway. As mine sits currently, it's pretty noisy but still manageable. I'd reckon that the BB & OBX are pretty much the same as the base model, sound wise.

Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just turned 1000 miles in the 2023 2.3L manual trans 2 dr hardtop Black Diamond so thought I would give my impressions, observations and otherwise worthless contributions.

1.) Since it is a poverty trim there is a complete lack of beeping, buzzing and other annoying noises. It is so refreshing to get into a vehicle without getting overwhelmed with panic bells and beeps. The climate control is simple and does exactly what I need it to do, push a button, turn a knob

2)The ride is much better than what I would have expected. Two trips over 7 hours and does not leave me fatigued or in agony when it is over

3) plays to the weakness of #2. Touch the brakes and you are rewarded with a harder dive than a Triple Lindy. This thing loves to give you quick glances of the road in front of you without a camera

4) Windshield wipers....they have a mind of their own. Set them to low speed and they will magically start behaving like you set them to a delay setting, quite frustrating during a decent rain.

5) Almost complete lack of ambient light (maybe that is different in higher trims). I just bought a little usb led light off scamazon and it suits my purposes

6) Wind noise on the highway. This is the loudest vehicle on the highway I have ever owned, and that includes comparison to my 69 mustang convertible. It literally sounds like a whiffle ball in a tornado. The hard top is the insulated version and I expected it to be a little less obnoxious. I can hear better while blowdrying my hair

7) Fuel economy, better than I expected. I am averaging a combined 19.3 mpg for the 1068 miles currently on it. It really likes the 23-2400 rpm range on the highway, higher or lower drops the economy

8)Power, the 2.3 has more than enough power to suit my needs. I have been pleasantly surprised by the responsiveness and fun from this truck which is getting even more so as I learn its nuances. I have many muscle cars, some over 700 hp and I do not feel this thing is underpowered. Overall very happy with the truck but will look into making it a bit less hurricane like on the highway and need to get a sub installed and hooked up>

92l9s1t.jpg

r2LetEj.jpg
Umm… If you call your ride a “Poverty Trim”, consider how that makes me with my $30,555 base 2021 2D with a stick, 16” steelies/ 30” tires, feel. TBH, my Base Bronco get a ton of attention and these people don’t care about the trim or they see the steelies, and they tell me that is what they like about my vehicle. It is the closest 6G Bronco trim to the OG Bronco. That is a feature, not a bug.

OP
OP
chaosrob

chaosrob

Black Diamond
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Umm… If you call your ride a “Poverty Trim”, consider how that makes me with my $30,555 base 2021 2D with a stick, 16” steelies/ 30” tires, feel. TBH, my Base Bronco get a ton of attention and these people don’t care about the trim or they see the steelies, and they tell me that is what they like about my vehicle. It is the closest 6G Bronco trim to the OG Bronco. That is a feature, not a bug.
That’s what you got from that post? I assume you look for reasons to be miserable all day. My feelings on anything relating to my vehicle shouldn't make you feel anything, I am simply not that important to impact your life, feelings or well being.

People, poverty trim has been a term used, at least in the car circle I grew up in, for more years than a lot of members on this page have been alive. It is not a derogatory term, it is not to belittle anyone. It simply means getting the basics of what you want and forgoing the things you don't. It is not meant to minimize, criticize, embarrass or make anyone defensive. I like the simplicity of the model I bought which is why I bought it. If I wanted a Raptor I could have bought the Raptor. I like customizing and adding what I want to a vehicle, it is part of the fun than buying something "turnkey" that has tons of things I didn't want to get one thing I did. YMMV

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaosrob

chaosrob

Black Diamond
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Basemansquatch was the smart choice for me too everything I need nothing I dont.
Exactly. We all bought the package that gave us what we needed at the price that was acceptable to us. It's not a trim or option race it is what suits our personal needs or wants

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just turned 1000 miles in the 2023 2.3L manual trans 2 dr hardtop Black Diamond so thought I would give my impressions, observations and otherwise worthless contributions.

Since it is a poverty trim there is a complete lack of beeping, buzzing and other annoying noises. It is so refreshing to get into a vehicle without getting overwhelmed with panic bells and beeps. The climate control is simple and does exactly what I need it to do, push a button, turn a knob
Keep in mind, all Broncos at their heart, are $35k~ish vehicles because they all have the same chassis. They might have different suspension, different wheels/tires, but the basic chassis is the same in all 2 door and 4 doors. The upper level trims are just $10K to $35K worth of goodies and options sitting on that basic Bronco.

Pretty good list you compiled. Agreed on the road noise. We owned a Jeep JL for 4+ years before the Bronco and thank God it was my wife's driver, because I would have got rid of the damn thing after a year if it were me. It was a terrible drive on the interstate. Not bad in lower around town settings. The Bronco - while it certainly doesn't have German car road manners - is a much better on road vehicle than the Jeep.

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That’s what you got from that post? I assume you look for reasons to be miserable all day. My feelings on anything relating to my vehicle shouldn't make you feel anything, I am simply not that important to impact your life, feelings or well being.

People, poverty trim has been a term used, at least in the car circle I grew up in, for more years than a lot of members on this page have been alive. It is not a derogatory term, it is not to belittle anyone. It simply means getting the basics of what you want and forgoing the things you don't. It is not meant to minimize, criticize, embarrass or make anyone defensive. I like the simplicity of the model I bought which is why I bought it. If I wanted a Raptor I could have bought the Raptor. I like customizing and adding what I want to a vehicle, it is part of the fun than buying something "turnkey" that has tons of things I didn't want to get one thing I did. YMMV
Hahaha you are right! I bought my '17 BMW X5 with individual paint, which alone cost $5200! By the time I was done - it was a $71K vehicle. And in some of the BMW forums, guys were ribbing me that I had a poverty level trim :LOL: . Hey man, to each their own. But it's still one of the best vehicles I have ever owned, and I still own it to this day.

So yeah, no biggie on using the "poverty trim" label
Sponsored