Sponsored

1st wheeling trip, all went great, but have questions?

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

As someone else stated, the backup camera can stay engaged until a certain forward speed is reached. Its adjustable in your settings (can be set to turn off as soon as you shift forward)
Sponsored

mcon33

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Willys Unlimited; 2022 Bronco BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it's in 2H or 4H I don't have to move at all...soon as I shift into a forward gear the camera shuts off. Either way I am sure I hit about 10mph in low in a few spots. Bronco is much quicker over mild terrain than a Jeep. Does bring up the interesting question of adding this feature tho. I would like the option of leaving my backup camera on when moving forward, so I know my trail mates are behind me and not stuck!
My 2022 Wrangler has this feature. And I love it. I was hoping the Bronco would also. Not built until 10/3 week. Great write up though. Love reading the Dad and Son bonding posts. My kid is at the age where I dont exist most days, lol.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a separate issue that I have not yet experienced, but talking to those who have, I believe that is a software bug that can be fixed as well. Seems like some software updates could really improve the vehicle.
I just hope they update existing Broncos and not save it all for a '24/'25 refresh.

Big Rig

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@Administrator I wasn't sure where to put this thread, in trip journals, or issues. So feel free to move it where you think it should be.

I finally got a chance to wheel my Bronco this weekend. I got a hotel room near trails I have wheeled before. We left in the Bronco on Friday night, and my son brought my xj up Saturday morning...or at least that was the plan. He called me from a Roadside Saturday morning saying there were issues w/the jeep. Not sure how bad, i went and met him at the gas station he stopped at to assess the situation. Turns out the problems weren't anything that we couldn't work around, so I followed him to the hotel, and did some lot wrenching in the parking lot to get it as close to ready as I could. So most of Saturday was lost, but still enough time to hit the trails and watch the sunset there(much nicer than a hotel room). Theres a rock formation which is very easy to climb, and not hard to get to, so I suggested we go there 1st so we could have an easy outing the 1st night. We did that, and the XJ was fine. When we got there, there were already a large group of Jeeps up on the rock. They were great friendly folks who were VERY enthusiastic to see my Bronco on the trails, and very curious about it. I had alot of fun chatting it up w/them. Anyway my gal took some great pics and we had a fun time on the rock. I had her take a flex pick on a Boulder, where I demonstrated the SB disco.
IMG_6147.jpg

So here's where my 1st odd question came up. As you can see in the above pic, by this time its about to get dark. We stayed and played till dusk, then everybody was getting hungry, so we decided to head for town to get dinner. As I was leading the way down the rock, and onto the trail, I noticed my backup camera was still on my screen. I assumed this was a malfunction of some sort, but found it kinda nice that I could see the xj headlights behind me, and didn't have to look around to make sure he was w/me (this was a tight little trail through very thick woods). When I got to a clearing and stopped, I shut it off and restarted, and backup camera was still on the screen. Radio still worked, so I had tunes, and all else was good, so not really worried about it, we went on. Got to the trailhead and at some point the backup camera had gone off, and the audio screen was back...ok whatever. So after dinner we went back to the hotel and got to bed, so we could maximize our wheeling time on Sunday. Except to me this was like an 8 year old trying to sleep on Christmas eve. I just kept waking up wanting to peek under the tree. So I decided a pre dawn ride out to a place I used to hunt would be fun. Not too remote, and my son knows where it is if I needed help, so I told them where I was going and they could sleep a while, and headed out to cruise some old logging roads that I knew I could do no problem, but they were at least challenging enough to require 4L. So I take a forest road in 2H to a clearing where my trail starts, and put it in 4L. I had to back up to get the right angle to start the trail, and the backup camera came on. Again it stayed on while going forward, the whole time I wheeled that trail. Now here's what made me say "huh?". When I got back to the forest road, and shifted into 2H, the screen switched back to audio. Wierd eh? So I shifted back into 4L, and it stayed on audio, until I put it in reverse, then backup camera as normal, but when I put it in forward gears again and took off, it stayed on backup camera till I shifted to high. I tried this several times...2H or 4H didn't matter. Is this a bug or a feature? I'm really not sure? Anyhow, I was glad that all the Bronco's critical features were working flawlessly! Back to the hotel to rouse the rest so we could wheel some more hard-core trails. We did just that when the xj started having difficulty again, so I had him pull off of a challenging rock climb onto an alternate, and he helped spot me the rest of the way, till I heard the unmistakable sound of overcammed v-8 engines coming up behind us...lots of them!. I looked down the mountain and could see Jeeps and other trucks on 40-44" TSLs and boggers. I didn't wana slow those guys down, so I pulled off w/th XJ and took the alternate to the top to watch them, telling my kid, they might beat us to the top even if we go the easy way. That was nearly true...some REALLY hard-core rigs, and ALOT of them...big crowd. Once again these folks were really interested in the Bronco...and most of these guys were hard core technical. They're trucks were serious builds, full hydro steering, 1 ton axles, full tube frames...cool stuff, not very streetable! No specific brand preference, there were Jeeps, Fords, Chevy, and Dodges. All of them to a man(and some women, and a few youths), were fascinated by my 2022 2dr BL, and wanted to talk tech about it, ask about features, look in the interior, and mostly, wanted to see me do the rock climb. I was kinda nervous, but one fella who clearly had a very high experience level, offered to spot for me. Ok so I went back down and started over w/my new volunteer spotting for me. I did drag the skids in a couple spots, but climbed out of it easily, once I had the right line. I have done this climb before in my xj, and my 90 FSB, and no matter how many times I do it, it gets my heart in my throat. Year to year the terrain changes, it's a little different every time. Climbing it in a brand new 2022, was a new level of pucker! To the joy of the crowd I made it to the top w/no rash on anything thats not made for rash, and relatively quickly w/the right guidance! Before my new friends moved on they told me how impressed they were, and glad that somebody brought one of these out to the trail to show if its legit or just hype. Well folks, the Bronco isn't a jeep wrangler, but it SURE isn't hype. It's a serious offroad machine. And I'm not looking down on anybody who buys one just to drive on the street...thats cool, but man you are missing out on some serious fun!
20220904_154404.jpg

So the next odd question i have is, w/all these little stop and chit chat sessions i was having, I stopped and shut the Bronco off and restarted MANY times. I was in 4L pretty much all day w/rear locked all the time, frt only as needed, and SB disco on. Most of the time, when I restarted it, it turned off the SB disco by itself, I had to turn it back on. If I used rock crawl mode it would still do it...not every time. And that stupid message came on the dash asking me if I wanted to stay in rock crawl mode. Do these software people have no clue? If I shut my vehicle off in rock crawl mode, its because I shut it off in a place I NEEDED ROCK CRAWL MODE TO GET TO! What possible scenario is there where I would park in rock crawl mode, then no longer need rock crawl mode to get home? All the rocks melted? Somebody built a highway on the mountain while I was sitting here? They really could polish up the software. And why is the SB disco such a bitchy feature? Always shutting off when I park, then giving me the whole "you know this is gonna reconnect at 20 mph right?" warning every time...enough already...just disconnect and stay that way till I say otherwise (or 20 mph for safety...fine). Tired of being lectured by my sway bar!

Other than that my new Bronco has passed every test I have for it with flying colors, and challenged me for more! I am most definitely NOT disappointed, and look forward to years of adventures!
borat-great.gif

PS: one of the guys in that group took a video and said he was gonna put it on YouTube. If anybody who knows them reads this I would LOVE a link to it!
I figured out that if you push the button to switch the air vent from head to foot or defrost, the backup camera will turn off and put you back at the home screen

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I figured out that if you push the button to switch the air vent from head to foot or defrost, the backup camera will turn off and put you back at the home screen
Wierd!

Sponsored

3G & 6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 SuperDuty, misc others
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you using the different modes? Honest question. We did the entire day of Off-Rodeo and never once engaged a single mode via the dial. Lockers still worked, as did all options on the transfer case. Seems like you have even more flexibility with manual control of your tools instead of letting the mode pick them for you. What else do the modes do? I can see some throttle mapping, and if you have an automatic maybe they adjust shift points?

All wheeling prior to software appearing in vehicles was done without modes. All the wheeling I've ever done pre-Bronco was without modes.

I don't have mine yet, but I just don't think I will ever use that mode dial. Seems gimmicky to me, right along with the video boot-up sequence. Like it's marketed to gamers, not wheelers. No offense intended, just my take on it.

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you using the different modes? Honest question. We did the entire day of Off-Rodeo and never once engaged a single mode via the dial. Lockers still worked, as did all options on the transfer case. Seems like you have even more flexibility with manual control of your tools instead of letting the mode pick them for you. What else do the modes do? I can see some throttle mapping, and if you have an automatic maybe they adjust shift points?

All wheeling prior to software appearing in vehicles was done without modes. All the wheeling I've ever done pre-Bronco was without modes.

I don't have mine yet, but I just don't think I will ever use that mode dial. Seems gimmicky to me, right along with the video boot-up sequence. Like it's marketed to gamers, not wheelers. No offense intended, just my take on it.
I used to think that. Now I don't. They serve a purpose.

3G & 6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to think that. Now I don't. They serve a purpose.
So what are they doing for you? Do they unlock some capability that you don’t get by pressing a locker button or a transfer case button? genuinely curious

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

No offense taken, and a fair question. I did do it both ways. I didn't originally plan to use the modes either, but I found it convenient. Where we were, trails are linked by forest roads and sometimes paved roads, and for that purpose the modes are nice...turn one dial to hop on the paved road, turn again at dirt forest road, and turn again at trailhead. It's a nice idea now that I see its intended use...if the software were better! One interesting development is that I have swapped in a WT 3.0 rack on mine, which it appears is defective. The error code in the PSCM locks out all GOAT modes. I can still use all the 4x4 functions and lockers/disco manually, so GOAT modes may also affect steering feel. For the most part I agree that they are more of a marketing gimmick than anything, but they are a feature I'm learning about, and I kinda get where they were going w/it

Last edited:

Bronco1971

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So what are they doing for you? Do they unlock some capability that you don’t get by pressing a locker button or a transfer case button? genuinely curious
The way that the vehicle manages the various systems, most particularly the throttle is quite well thought out for the various modes. The throttle response, steering response and trans shift points are not manageable any other way. There are often times when you want a softer throttle response than is available in normal mode.

Sponsored

3G & 6G

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The way that the vehicle manages the various systems, most particularly the throttle is quite well thought out for the various modes. The throttle response, steering response and trans shift points are not manageable any other way. There are often times when you want a softer throttle response than is available in normal mode.
I guess I will wait until I get mine to determine usefulness. With my manual trans it won't do anything for my shift points. If it really does adjust steering ratio then I could see that being useful, but I bet it only alters assist level. We'll see.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Administrator I wasn't sure where to put this thread, in trip journals, or issues. So feel free to move it where you think it should be.

I finally got a chance to wheel my Bronco this weekend. I got a hotel room near trails I have wheeled before. We left in the Bronco on Friday night, and my son brought my xj up Saturday morning...or at least that was the plan. He called me from a Roadside Saturday morning saying there were issues w/the jeep. Not sure how bad, i went and met him at the gas station he stopped at to assess the situation. Turns out the problems weren't anything that we couldn't work around, so I followed him to the hotel, and did some lot wrenching in the parking lot to get it as close to ready as I could. So most of Saturday was lost, but still enough time to hit the trails and watch the sunset there(much nicer than a hotel room). Theres a rock formation which is very easy to climb, and not hard to get to, so I suggested we go there 1st so we could have an easy outing the 1st night. We did that, and the XJ was fine. When we got there, there were already a large group of Jeeps up on the rock. They were great friendly folks who were VERY enthusiastic to see my Bronco on the trails, and very curious about it. I had alot of fun chatting it up w/them. Anyway my gal took some great pics and we had a fun time on the rock. I had her take a flex pick on a Boulder, where I demonstrated the SB disco.
IMG_6147.jpg

So here's where my 1st odd question came up. As you can see in the above pic, by this time its about to get dark. We stayed and played till dusk, then everybody was getting hungry, so we decided to head for town to get dinner. As I was leading the way down the rock, and onto the trail, I noticed my backup camera was still on my screen. I assumed this was a malfunction of some sort, but found it kinda nice that I could see the xj headlights behind me, and didn't have to look around to make sure he was w/me (this was a tight little trail through very thick woods). When I got to a clearing and stopped, I shut it off and restarted, and backup camera was still on the screen. Radio still worked, so I had tunes, and all else was good, so not really worried about it, we went on. Got to the trailhead and at some point the backup camera had gone off, and the audio screen was back...ok whatever. So after dinner we went back to the hotel and got to bed, so we could maximize our wheeling time on Sunday. Except to me this was like an 8 year old trying to sleep on Christmas eve. I just kept waking up wanting to peek under the tree. So I decided a pre dawn ride out to a place I used to hunt would be fun. Not too remote, and my son knows where it is if I needed help, so I told them where I was going and they could sleep a while, and headed out to cruise some old logging roads that I knew I could do no problem, but they were at least challenging enough to require 4L. So I take a forest road in 2H to a clearing where my trail starts, and put it in 4L. I had to back up to get the right angle to start the trail, and the backup camera came on. Again it stayed on while going forward, the whole time I wheeled that trail. Now here's what made me say "huh?". When I got back to the forest road, and shifted into 2H, the screen switched back to audio. Wierd eh? So I shifted back into 4L, and it stayed on audio, until I put it in reverse, then backup camera as normal, but when I put it in forward gears again and took off, it stayed on backup camera till I shifted to high. I tried this several times...2H or 4H didn't matter. Is this a bug or a feature? I'm really not sure? Anyhow, I was glad that all the Bronco's critical features were working flawlessly! Back to the hotel to rouse the rest so we could wheel some more hard-core trails. We did just that when the xj started having difficulty again, so I had him pull off of a challenging rock climb onto an alternate, and he helped spot me the rest of the way, till I heard the unmistakable sound of overcammed v-8 engines coming up behind us...lots of them!. I looked down the mountain and could see Jeeps and other trucks on 40-44" TSLs and boggers. I didn't wana slow those guys down, so I pulled off w/th XJ and took the alternate to the top to watch them, telling my kid, they might beat us to the top even if we go the easy way. That was nearly true...some REALLY hard-core rigs, and ALOT of them...big crowd. Once again these folks were really interested in the Bronco...and most of these guys were hard core technical. They're trucks were serious builds, full hydro steering, 1 ton axles, full tube frames...cool stuff, not very streetable! No specific brand preference, there were Jeeps, Fords, Chevy, and Dodges. All of them to a man(and some women, and a few youths), were fascinated by my 2022 2dr BL, and wanted to talk tech about it, ask about features, look in the interior, and mostly, wanted to see me do the rock climb. I was kinda nervous, but one fella who clearly had a very high experience level, offered to spot for me. Ok so I went back down and started over w/my new volunteer spotting for me. I did drag the skids in a couple spots, but climbed out of it easily, once I had the right line. I have done this climb before in my xj, and my 90 FSB, and no matter how many times I do it, it gets my heart in my throat. Year to year the terrain changes, it's a little different every time. Climbing it in a brand new 2022, was a new level of pucker! To the joy of the crowd I made it to the top w/no rash on anything thats not made for rash, and relatively quickly w/the right guidance! Before my new friends moved on they told me how impressed they were, and glad that somebody brought one of these out to the trail to show if its legit or just hype. Well folks, the Bronco isn't a jeep wrangler, but it SURE isn't hype. It's a serious offroad machine. And I'm not looking down on anybody who buys one just to drive on the street...thats cool, but man you are missing out on some serious fun!
20220904_154404.jpg

So the next odd question i have is, w/all these little stop and chit chat sessions i was having, I stopped and shut the Bronco off and restarted MANY times. I was in 4L pretty much all day w/rear locked all the time, frt only as needed, and SB disco on. Most of the time, when I restarted it, it turned off the SB disco by itself, I had to turn it back on. If I used rock crawl mode it would still do it...not every time. And that stupid message came on the dash asking me if I wanted to stay in rock crawl mode. Do these software people have no clue? If I shut my vehicle off in rock crawl mode, its because I shut it off in a place I NEEDED ROCK CRAWL MODE TO GET TO! What possible scenario is there where I would park in rock crawl mode, then no longer need rock crawl mode to get home? All the rocks melted? Somebody built a highway on the mountain while I was sitting here? They really could polish up the software. And why is the SB disco such a bitchy feature? Always shutting off when I park, then giving me the whole "you know this is gonna reconnect at 20 mph right?" warning every time...enough already...just disconnect and stay that way till I say otherwise (or 20 mph for safety...fine). Tired of being lectured by my sway bar!

Other than that my new Bronco has passed every test I have for it with flying colors, and challenged me for more! I am most definitely NOT disappointed, and look forward to years of adventures!
borat-great.gif

PS: one of the guys in that group took a video and said he was gonna put it on YouTube. If anybody who knows them reads this I would LOVE a link to it!
Like your set up see you in Moab.

OP
OP
Bmadda

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just to update the camera issue: Appears a recall has been issued. Looks to be software only:

NHTSA # 22V825
Ford # 22C27

wvufan4423

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Anyone have the update show up yet? Just got my notice and no update showing in fordpass or in the vehicle

Just to update the camera issue: Appears a recall has been issued. Looks to be software only:

NHTSA # 22V825
Ford # 22C27

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To answer your main question, about the software constantly resetting and pestering you: It's because they're making this for the least common denominator, aka stupid people.
Hey! We simpletons resemble those remarks--Attention, please, mods!
Sponsored