First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I felt a difference in my 2.7 f150, but I didn't really test it out scientifically. It could've just been me expecting more, so I felt it 😂
So, while not a factory tune, putting an aftermarket 93 octane tune on my 3.5 Ecoboost is night and day different. That said, you will lose a ton of power trying to run low octane fuel because the engine has to aggressively pull timing.

Don't expect one tank of 93 to make a difference, I suspect that the new ECUs will allow the motor will slowly adjust timings when it does not detect pre-igntion or knock for an entended period of time. This is how they achieve this, but put lower octane fuel in the motor and it will aggressively pull timings to protect the engine.
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have owned cars that made higher HP and MPG on higher octane fuel. Never noticed the HP difference. MPG difference was very noticeable, but not enough to make up the difference in price.

Best mileage I ever got with that car was when I forgot to get gas before I left town and bought gas halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. That's outside the "smog area" and the gas was 100% gas and not 10% ethanol.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can someone fix the spelling... I’ve been avoiding the thread, but it keeps haunting me.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No you can not......octane is the measurement of the volatility of the fuel......the higher the octane the slower it burns.......putting high octane fuel in an engine designed for regular octane fuel is just a waste of money.
half-right and a very common old wives tale. Yes, Octane will raise the ignition temp requirements of the fuel-air mixture. No, it does not burn slower, just takes more temp to start burning (if it pre-ignites, will be pushing down on a piston trying to come up more than it normally would, can damage pistons as well). Keeps pre-ignition at bay longer, allowing higher compression and more favorable valve timing. It won't burn until the spark (very hot) is commanded, much hotter than the generalized hot spots in a cylinder that might cause pre-ignition.

Once the combustion process begins, the flame front speed is the same, the exothermic temps generated from the reaction are high enough to light off all Octane permutations of air-fuel you would be likely to introduce into the engine.

Sponsored

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No you can not......octane is the measurement of the volatility of the fuel......the higher the octane the slower it burns.......putting high octane fuel in an engine designed for regular octane fuel is just a waste of money.
You may not feel the difference but it doesn't mean it's not there. There is a 4.5% power gain in the 2.7 using premium . High octane gas allows for more advanced timing = more power.

Many folks have spent far more money chasing 15hp than putting in a tank of premium.

I think it is smart to run premium in either Bronco engine if you desire to run it at full potential...

SillySpider

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Genuinely curious for anyone who has a vehicle that has different power outputs based on octane ratings; can you actually tell the difference?
I drove a Jeep Renegade with the 1.4 turbo for a couple of years. It was stated that the engine preferred premium fuel, but you could use regular. The time I could notice a difference is when the turbo kicked in. It felt smoother and like it was giving me extra boost. I ran it with regular unleaded most of the time, but if I felt like I wanted to have a little extra fun on the road that week I'd do premium. Honestly, that 2wd manual 1.4 Renegade was a fantastic street vehicle. Lots of room and surprisingly fun to drive.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m indecisive as hell, right now I’m split between OBX and BL which is a ridiculous conundrum on its own. Lux and tow with either one, MGV with BL, leather with OBX. The roast leather with the OBX is my favorite interior, but I’ve got some hopes still languishing that the WT leather interior just photographs poorly and actually looks good in person in which case just blow up my decision tree and start again.
Oh Boy, sooooo much to unpack here lol. Ok you going for Lux interior well what about exterior? OB/WT are what I call lux in and out (gloss grill/gloss mirrors/matched door handles...). BL on the other hand is ruggedly stylish. Grill is styled nice but MIC gray adds the ruggedness. MGV rugged but black adds stylish to it.

OB roast uggg the cloth looks better than the leather IMO. WT leather... NO WAY. Pictures don't lie... what color?

OP
OP
stm378

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh Boy, sooooo much to unpack here lol. Ok you going for Lux interior well what about exterior? OB/WT are what I call lux in and out (gloss grill/gloss mirrors/matched door handles...). BL on the other hand is ruggedly stylish. Grill is styled nice but MIC gray adds the ruggedness. MGV rugged but black adds stylish to it.

OB roast uggg the cloth looks better than the leather IMO. WT leather... NO WAY. Pictures don't lie... what color?
I prefer the lux exterior with matching handles/mirrors, but that said, either way I’m going to go with the body color mod top (assuming that still going to be available for 22) so that mitigates that factor a bit. I really prefer the bigger tires of the BL, but don’t know that I need to go full squatch.

I do like the OBX leather. The only good part about waiting until 22 is that hopefully I get to see some of these things like that WT leather in person.

MaxLD

Outer Banks
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Genuinely curious for anyone who has a vehicle that has different power outputs based on octane ratings; can you actually tell the difference?
I always run regular in my 2.3 EcoBoost. Ford states it will make more power on Premium, but it feels just fine the way I drive it. Plenty of power, 43k miles without a problem, and two cross country and back trips. Assuming the Bronco is heavier and will be beat on a little more, I opted for the 2.7. Both, however, are great engines. I know a Ford employee who dailies a 2.3 Focus RS (with Mustang EcoBoost heads swapped in at 40k-50k miles) and now has over 200k miles on it.

Sponsored

MattAttack85

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX and 23 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After driving my brother's 2020 Ranger, I was quite impressed with the 2.3 it has. I think that if people saw a Bronco sitting on the lot that had a 2.3 in it, they would happily buy it and not be disappointed. I did opt for the 2.7, but I'm coming from a 3.5 Ecoboost F150. So in my own mind, I justified going from twin turbos to twin turbos. (I laughed out loud at the comment that said no way those turbos will last 100k miles)

In the end, I think if Ford had ONLY given the 2.3 as an option for the Bronco, it would have been adequate for the vehicle. I am glad that they do offer the 2.7 though..

spyderman01

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can in my current vehicle, around town with premium it feels peppier and gets going much nicer. However, on the highway, there really is no difference at all, so I fill up depending on my anticipated usage for the week!

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After driving my brother's 2020 Ranger, I was quite impressed with the 2.3 it has. I think that if people saw a Bronco sitting on the lot that had a 2.3 in it, they would happily buy it and not be disappointed. I did opt for the 2.7, but I'm coming from a 3.5 Ecoboost F150. So in my own mind, I justified going from twin turbos to twin turbos. (I laughed out loud at the comment that said no way those turbos will last 100k miles)

In the end, I think if Ford had ONLY given the 2.3 as an option for the Bronco, it would have been adequate for the vehicle. I am glad that they do offer the 2.7 though..
Perfect description. 2.3 will be just fine; 2.7 more of a rocket.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Perfect description. 2.3 will be just fine; 2.7 more of a rocket.
I lol at the fact that you put that must trust on one of the most failure prone parts of that engine and your getting 2 dunk em good in the mud and call me at 100000 .
Sponsored