Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sure, the MT-88 is a new design rated for more torque and more gears.
"The new Mustang GT500 is the same as the old Fiesta but it's just a new design with more power."

But like the MT-82, it also requires considerable external shift linkage, which was the past issue.
No it wasn't.

This is the area of my concern. Ford needs to ensure that this shift linkage issue is put to bed with a robust design on these "incomplete" Getrag gearboxes.

Tremec manual gearbox on top and Getrag below with external shift linkage.

1614487597565.png
Tremec gearboxes:

Ford Bronco 2.3 vs 2.7 1614782136261

Ford Bronco 2.3 vs 2.7 1614782182483

Here's the ZF transmission from a V10 M5:
Ford Bronco 2.3 vs 2.7 1614782655136

Remote-mount shifters are used to isolate the driver from NVH of the drivetrain and allow flexibility in locating the shifter between different models. Every OEM Tremec installation (ZL1, Hellcat, GT500, GT350, etc.) uses a remote shifter. You're thinking of the aftermarket Tremec transmissions where end users are just expected to punch a hole in their floor wherever the shifter lands.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We went V6 just because YOLO lol but I was impressed driving a 2.3 Ranger for a week.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
"The new Mustang GT500 is the same as the old Fiesta but it's just a new design with more power."

No it wasn't.

Tremec gearboxes:

1614782136261.png

1614782182483.png

Here's the ZF transmission from a V10 M5:
1614782655136.png

Remote-mount shifters are used to isolate the driver from NVH of the drivetrain and allow flexibility in locating the shifter between different models. Every OEM Tremec installation (ZL1, Hellcat, GT500, GT350, etc.) uses a remote shifter. You're thinking of the aftermarket Tremec transmissions where end users are just expected to punch a hole in their floor wherever the shifter lands.
This is all well and good with excellent information provided to disprove the statements of others (now to blatantly ignore it all to make an unrelated point, B6g style, because they wont be able to say "wow, I had incorrect assumptions as to the transmission design and layout"), but if it's not a column mounted shifter then I don't want it.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bringing up a single data-point to refute what has been a correct statement for the better part of a century seems a bit premature. MT's are, in fact, more reliable than AT's. History has proven that many times over.

Doesn't mean that will be the case going forward as AT's take over the world, but we aren't there yet. And I don't need to bring up Honda's AT's mated to their V6's to win this argument, it was won by @Wizard1183 previously. :)
I'll bring up a single data point. I have a Getrag manual transmission that has over 400,000 miles on it. Shifts like butter. :)
Sponsored