DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
An automatic Bronco was a non starter for me so 2.3 7Mt it is. I wouldn’t buy a Bronco unless it was a manual and Don’t care how much slower it is. Will probably do a Ford or other tune when available but the 2.3 is plenty peppy
Sponsored

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

People forget that the 2.3 comes with the deficient vacuum assist brakes. Aren’t they worried about stopping? How about losing one pedal drive?
Having driven my 2.3L and had to brake hard.... No I'm not worried.

Although it's good to see the forum speculation = reality effect is working strong!

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Always buy the optional engine, buyer's remorse is real and dangerous.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have driven both, and own the 2.3. Both are fine. I wish there was a V8 option. ( Any chance I get to stick the V8 wish in a post I will do it lol)

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hp and torque are adequate on both engines but it’s often what you have been accustomed to. I can feel the extra 28% torque of the 2.7 but it still feels weaker that the Ford Lion diesel in our ‘18 Range Rover that has 443 ft/lbs at 1,700 rpm. I’d love it if Ford would offer that engine in the Bronco but the environmental sentiment driving politics in the U.S. now makes that unlikely. I think they even discontinued it for 2022 in the F150.

FWIW I’m averaging 15.5 mpg with my Bronco and 28.5mpg over 63k miles in our Rover that weighs 5,000 pounds and is only slightly more aerodynamic. The Rover will average 14+ mpg pulling my 6,300 pound boat/trailer, lol.

I’ve never regretted upgrading to more torque/hp with any vehicle or boat that I’ve owned. For me, $1,900 more for the 2.7L is a bargain especially running 35’s.

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One thing I never realized until I came here is how many people expect a Bronco to be able to do burnouts. The 2.3 is a perfect engine for a highly capable four wheel drive vehicle.
Lol, exactly. For the first decade of my career I was required to drive anemic dodge Caravans for my company car. Talk about not being excited to get into your vehicle each day and at the time I was averaging 40,000 miles each year. In 2009 my company gave me the option of of a Ford Edge with the 4 cylinder Ecoboost and it felt like I had switched to a sports car. :)

The last 5 years I’ve been driving a Tesla Model S that does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and either Bronco engine feels slow, but that’s ok, it’s not a sports sedan with 690hp. :)

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hp and torque are adequate on both engines but it’s often what you have been accustomed to. I can feel the extra 28% torque of the 2.7 but it still feels weaker that the Ford Lion diesel in our ‘18 Range Rover that has 443 ft/lbs at 1,700 rpm. I’d love it if Ford would offer that engine in the Bronco but the environmental sentiment driving politics in the U.S. now makes that unlikely. I think they even discontinued it for 2022 in the F150.

FWIW I’m averaging 15.5 mpg with my Bronco and 28.5mpg over 63k miles in our Rover that weighs 5,000 pounds and is only slightly more aerodynamic. The Rover will average 14+ mpg pulling my 6,300 pound boat/trailer, lol.

I’ve never regretted upgrading to more torque/hp with any vehicle or boat that I’ve owned. For me, $1,900 more for the 2.7L is a bargain especially running 35’s.
Turning bigger tires and towing are cases where I'd consider the 2.7. Passing going up a hill with an extra 3000lbs and 35" tires is thing.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Turning bigger tires and towing are cases where I'd consider the 2.7. Passing going up a hill with an extra 3000lbs and 35" tires is thing.
Yep and where you live matters as well. It’s very flat here in the land of 10,000 Lakes but if I still lived in NorCal where every week I was going from 800 ft elevation to over 7,000 ft elevation just 70 miles from my house, the 2.7L would be a need and not a want.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

People forget that the 2.3 comes with the deficient vacuum assist brakes. Aren’t they worried about stopping? How about losing one pedal drive?
Yep I’ve driven both. 2.3 definitely is mushy. 2.7 feels and brakes perfectly.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm pushing 35s w/ the 2.3 and 4.70 gears...all I'll ever need on or off road. Gearing for the 2.3 is key.
Sponsored