Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 M3 6spd Sedan; EG Base Scheduled 3/27
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How do these engines feel on Base model (3.73) gearing? My jerk reaction says to avoid the 2.3l Base auto if added 33"+ tires, but what's the forum consensus?

Goes to say rock crawling is probably not the best idea on either setup, but how about around town and lighter off-road stuff?

I did a quick search, but didn't come across much comparing auto to auto (everyone looks at 6spd vs auto when talking engines).
Sponsored

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Legit plenty of power. These 10 speed transmissions make it amazing. Nothing like the older 5 speed auto jeeps that need a steep rear gear to get out of its own way with bigger tires

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have 2.3 auto with 4.46 gears and 295/70r17 which is roughly 33.3" and it does great. Just came back from and 1100mi round trip and averaged 17.5mpg. Speed was my biggest factor. 65mph seems to be the sweet spot. Was getting about 20mpg. Hit 75mph and it dropped significantly, like 16.5-17. Plenty of power, 0 complaints whatsoever.

OP
OP
ThisGuy611

ThisGuy611

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have 2.3 auto with 4.46 gears and 295/70r17 which is roughly 33.3" and it does great. Just came back from and 1100mi round trip and averaged 17.5mpg. Speed was my biggest factor. 65mph seems to be the sweet spot. Was getting about 20mpg. Hit 75mph and it dropped significantly, like 16.5-17. Plenty of power, 0 complaints whatsoever.
I had it originally ordered with the 4.46 manual, but I'm thinking I'll leave the stick shifts to my sport cars and have the Bronco be my "luxury" ride lol. The auto with remote start from app seems nice in the heat too.

I do regret not bumping my Base order to a Big Bend for the 4.27 gearing, locker, and extra goodies, but I'm not giving up $2k+ in price protection at this point.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ran 3.73 with 35s and 2.3 auto. It wasn't bad, with sport mode. I would stay with lighter tires if you really want to not have issues on the freeway. Around town and under 55mph no issues as the transmission doesn't go to double/triple overdrive. My mileage would climb if I used sport mode since the transmission is limited to 8th gear.

I am switching to a Black Diamond(ordered) for the 4.45 gears, locker and wash out floors. I like the Big Bend(off the lot) and would have kept it if I could have re-geared it. To bad parts are just not available to do gear swaps, I would have defiantly spent the money.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ThisGuy611

ThisGuy611

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ran 3.73 with 35s and 2.3 auto. It wasn't bad, with sport mode. I would stay with lighter tires if you really want to not have issues on the freeway. Around town and under 55mph no issues as the transmission doesn't go to double/triple overdrive. My mileage would climb if I used sport mode since the transmission is limited to 8th gear.

I am switching to a Black Diamond(ordered) for the 4.45 gears, locker and wash out floors. I like the Big Bend(off the lot) and would have kept it if I could have re-geared it. To bad parts are just not available to do gear swaps, I would have defiantly spent the money.
And that's the root of my fear. Everyone keeps saying the 2.3L is great, which I agree with, but the gearing is the issue.

I'm thinking the 2.7L should be fine pushing 35"s, even on the 3.73 gears.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had it originally ordered with the 4.46 manual, but I'm thinking I'll leave the stick shifts to my sport cars and have the Bronco be my "luxury" ride lol. The auto with remote start from app seems nice in the heat too.

I do regret not bumping my Base order to a Big Bend for the 4.27 gearing, locker, and extra goodies, but I'm not giving up $2k+ in price protection at this point.
I love the remote start from my app. I have it set on a timer to start at 7:05am M-F while Im getting ready for work. My phone will give me a notification and thats when I know its time to leave for work. It runs for 15min before shutting off. If that happens then Im late for work :ROFLMAO:

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My base Sasquatch pulls away from a stop in second gear on flat ground. It doesn't even bother to go down to first unless I'm up in the hills. And you have so many gears in that 10-speed transmission that it can be at the right RPM regardless of speed, other than all the way down at the bottom or up top. I'm not sure that the axle ratio makes all that much difference in the middle ranges.

I haven't once wished I had the 2.7 instead of the 2.3.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And that's the root of my fear. Everyone keeps saying the 2.3L is great, which I agree with, but the gearing is the issue.

I'm thinking the 2.7L should be fine pushing 35"s, even on the 3.73 gears.
2.7 will not help, its how the transmission goes to 10th gear and not enough gearing to stay out of boost. Really comes down to trying to stay out of boost (1-3 psi is perfect) so that if you want to accelerate a little more the boost(more hp) get you moving with out a down shift. At 1200-1600 rpm neither engine can pull a hill/drive well on flat ground with big tires. The 2.7 in my f150 is about the same, down shift to stay out of max boost get better mileage.

35s and 3.73
8th gear on the freeway
6th to 7th on hills
3000+rpms for 6% grades at 75mph (California in the slow lane).

I stuck my stock tires back on for a couple of hundred miles before letting my Big Bend go. It was like night and day. I bought Kelly M/T(new 3 ply version) which are a heavy tire made by goodyear. You will be fine on lighter tires with the lower gears as it is the automatic and big tires that makes gears need.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My base Sasquatch pulls away from a stop in second gear on flat ground. It doesn't even bother to go down to first unless I'm up in the hills. And you have so many gears in that 10-speed transmission that it can be at the right RPM regardless of speed, other than all the way down at the bottom or up top. I'm not sure that the axle ratio makes all that much difference in the middle ranges.

I haven't once wished I had the 2.7 instead of the 2.3.
THIS

It really only will make a difference in first or tenth. Heavy crawling in first gear low range an extra 15 (4.27), 20 (4.46) or 25 (4.70) percent will be noticed, other than that and drag racing nah. And your trans may seldom if ever shift to tenth but that's OK

That said, I'm tickled with the 4.27's in my BB

Sponsored

Baseaf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2.7 will not help, its how the transmission goes to 10th gear and not enough gearing to stay out of boost. Really comes down to trying to stay out of boost (1-3 psi is perfect) so that if you want to accelerate a little more the boost(more hp) get you moving with out a down shift. At 1200-1600 rpm neither engine can pull a hill/drive well on flat ground with big tires. The 2.7 in my f150 is about the same, down shift to stay out of max boost get better mileage.

35s and 3.73
8th gear on the freeway
6th to 7th on hills
3000+rpms for 6% grades at 75mph (California in the slow lane).

I stuck my stock tires back on for a couple of hundred miles before letting my Big Bend go. It was like night and day. I bought Kelly M/T(new 3 ply version) which are a heavy tire made by goodyear. You will be fine on lighter tires with the lower gears as it is the automatic and big tires that makes gears need.
I had no idea about this. I'm used to NA engines where the lower the RPM on the freeway the better. At least for my old S197 mustangs. Completely not the case with my Bronco. I put it in sport just like you said and it stays out of boost for the most part on the highway. I went from 17 mpg to 19.1-19.3. Does it do any damage to keep in 8th overtime or on long trips? Thanks for commenting!

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had no idea about this. I'm used to NA engines where the lower the RPM on the freeway the better. At least for my old S197 mustangs. Completely not the case with my Bronco. I put it in sport just like you said and it stays out of boost for the most part on the highway. I went from 17 mpg to 19.1-19.3. Does it do any damage to keep in 8th overtime or on long trips? Thanks for commenting!
Can't say what causes more wear. You basically are putting more wear by turning at higher revolutions but otherwise your running more force on components to make power.
Sponsored