First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a Mustang GT- 2018 model year that had tick and piston rattle or slap. The tick was annoying although it did not bother me. Ford even produced a bulletin stating the tick was "normal". The tick turned in a rattling noise when the engine was cold. Brought it to the dealer and the service tech acknowledged it was not normal and was not the tick. The service manager however stated it was just the ticking noise and that it was normal per the Ford bulletin. The 5.0 engines have some type of plasma coating in the cylinders and I read somewhere there were issues with fit up between the pistons and cylinders. Long story short I got rid of the car after only 6K miles.

Hope the 2.3 and 2.7 don't have this issue.
Sponsored

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Leave the windows up and turn up the radio. It's a Ford, not a Rolls Royce.
LMAO I appreciate the humor, I do - but given that he has the V6, it could be cause for concern as these puppies have been nuking themselves at an unusually high rate

RSalami

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

30snack

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Cam Phasers…..

Sponsored
OP
OP
sotto1979

sotto1979

Outer Banks
First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OB , Bronco Sport OB,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the 4cyl and 50% of the time, upon reasonable acceleration the engine sounds sort of like a bicycle wheel with a playing card in the spokes.
definitely not normal

Other v6 owners mentioned that they heard a similar sound prior to engine failure
That’s exactly the sound

SoonerNatx

Black Diamond
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco 4d 2.7 MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it is anything like the "Hemi Tick", it could be a loose/stripped exhaust manifold bolt. Cold or at start up there is a small gap and exhaust "ticks". As the block heats up, the gap melds.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes and I am a Ford senior master tech. This is not a normal noise. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this
Not being an ass at all...I sure would feel better if your post was, "I'm a Ford senior master tech, my bronco is making this funny card in the bicycle spoke sound. If your bronco is exhibiting the same behavior, here's what I think the issue is......."

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes and I am a Ford senior master tech. This is not a normal noise. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this
Ford senior master tech but you ask on a public forum how to diagnose a noise you're experiencing? 🤔🤔🤔

Kmcran

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hope its not the FORD dreaded “ typewriter tick “ My 2018 Mustang has a tick on startup but seems to go way after warm up.
Haha, not the tick again. I sold my 18 mustang to buy the bronco. Mine ticked too but never had any issues. Bronco sounds similar.

Sponsored

Fordman08

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Outerbanks, Shelby GT500, Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP, is this your noise? Mine started at 2k miles about the time it got cold in Georgia. It is at the dealer waiting on new cam phasers.
Did cam phasers resolve the noise? Mine is doing the exact same thing on cold start. Thanks

segt1915

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did cam phasers resolve the noise? Mine is doing the exact same thing on cold start. Thanks
Yes. It was apparently a pretty extensive repair but I've had it back three weeks and I've only driven 300 miles in that time. So far it appears to be resolved.

Ike89

Base
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes. It was apparently a pretty extensive repair but I've had it back three weeks and I've only driven 300 miles in that time. So far it appears to be resolved.
Any further updates on this issue? I just took delivery of my2023 bronco and I’m getting a ticking on cold start or when the motor has been off for several hours. The sound can be heard for 2-3 seconds then it goes away. I can turn off and start up shortly after and the tick is not present.

sko

Badlands
First Name
Tomasz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
elantra, have dep on a badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine just turned 1k and I'm getting a similar noise when cold. Not sure if it's audible enough. It's a tick/circular noise.

JUSTIN.S

Badlands
First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2020 wrx STI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine just turned 1k and I'm getting a similar noise when cold. Not sure if it's audible enough. It's a tick/circular noise.
DId you ever get any answers on this noise,Ii have the same noise on my 2023 2.7 on cold starts and lasts 3 to 5 min?
Sponsored