@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am new here and looking forward to place my order this month. I want to order the 2.7 V6, but I am concerned about reliability. I know there are issues with the engine, and I want to know whether Ford has fixed them, and how reliable the V6 overall.
It depends on which 2.7L issues you’re referring to:

-If you’re talking about the mechanical problems that keep popping up for 2.7L Broncos, you shouldn’t worry. Ford will take care of these under warranty. And most people have been very happy with their repairs.

-If you’re talking about the design problems in the 2.7L Broncos, these won’t be fixed until the next refresh of the Ford Bronco. For example, the alternator hangs much lower in the 2.7L Bronco, so it’s water fording depth is less than that of the 2.3L Bronco (Hence why the Everglades edition only comes with the 2.3L).

So unless you plan on fording deep water, the 2.7L should be completely fine! đź’Ż
Sponsored

cmecatchu2

Wildtrak
First Name
Anne Marie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
FYI there are 10s of thousands of 2.7's in f 150's and other Fords out there with good reliability so I wouldn't be afraid of a bad batch that last count numbered in the 60's.
I bought mine thinking it was just the 21 made engines…. Also the 60 we know of are members of forum… I was posting to give the OP a heads up… Unfortunately, I have seen a thread on here that someone with the 21 engine has had the new replacement and that second engine go as well… I am following a few threads. Why is it the Broncos ones are having the issues at all? I havent seen any of the other models that utilize it being included in the NHSTA investigation just names the Bronco.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not broken now.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought mine thinking it was just the 21 made engines…
The MY21 blown engines were caused by defective valve spring retainers. Any blown ones after that are most likely just random ones that failed for a different reason. EVERY engine model regardless of make has failures -- none have a perfect track record. You can buy a new Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, etc. and still have a chance of engine failure.

cmecatchu2

Wildtrak
First Name
Anne Marie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The MY21 blown engines were caused by defective valve spring retainers. Any blown ones after that are most likely just random ones that failed for a different reason. EVERY engine model regardless of make has failures -- none have a perfect track record. You can buy a new Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, etc. and still have a chance of engine failure.
I get that but with less then 100 miles thats just sad quality control. I have had a bad Dodge Ram with a failed transmission after 8k miles. I owned this for less then 7 hours.
What I love is all of you trying to poopoo my issues. And make it ok that Ford is pushing these out and there is something going on with the Bronco 2.7 engine line. I am not only one Another guy on here posted his as well. Willing to bet we share a build week.
Try putting yourself in someone’s shoes and at least acknowledge that there is an ongoing 2.7 wonkiness. It is not rectified for 2022. Being okay with bad quality control is letting any manufacturer off the hook for allowing you to be their test dummy.
Yes, there is a warranty. Using it at 60 miles though…. Not too sure how I feel repaired and keeping it. This made me lose a lot of faith in it.

Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I get that but with less then 100 miles thats just sad quality control. I have had a bad Dodge Ram with a failed transmission after 8k miles. I owned this for less then 7 hours.
What I love is all of you trying to poopoo my issues. And make it ok that Ford is pushing these out and there is something going on with the Bronco 2.7 engine line. I am not only one Another guy on here posted his as well. Willing to bet we share a build week.
Try putting yourself in someone’s shoes and at least acknowledge that there is an ongoing 2.7 wonkiness. It is not rectified for 2022. Being okay with bad quality control is letting any manufacturer off the hook for allowing you to be their test dummy.
Yes, there is a warranty. Using it at 60 miles though…. Not too sure how I feel repaired and keeping it. This made me lose a lot of faith in it.
I hope you realize that I never "poopooed" your issue. You have a right to be upset. I was just saying that these things are made by humans, so you're going to have failures. Have you ever screwed anything up at work? Have any of your coworkers? Now imagine that you or one of your coworkers (or one of those bastards at McDonald's making your order) is building engines at Lima. Have you ever built an engine? I have, and I'm here to tell you that a speck of dirt can be enough to ruin an engine. Tons of things can cause an engine failure. I'm not making excuses for Ford or any other auto manufacturer. I'm just saying that nothing has a 100% success rate -- and you just happened to draw the short straw this time. Good luck, and I hope you get a quick resolution that you are satisfied with. I DO NOT THINK IT IS A DESIGN ISSUE WITH THE 2.7L.

cmecatchu2

Wildtrak
First Name
Anne Marie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I hope you realize that I never "poopooed" your issue. You have a right to be upset. I was just saying that these things are made by humans, so you're going to have failures. Have you ever screwed anything up at work? Have any of your coworkers? Now imagine that you or one of your coworkers (or one of those bastards at McDonald's making your order) is building engines at Lima. Have you ever built an engine? I have, and I'm here to tell you that a speck of dirt can be enough to ruin an engine. Tons of things can cause an engine failure. I'm not making excuses for Ford or any other auto manufacturer. I'm just saying that nothing has a 100% success rate -- and you just happened to draw the short straw this time. Good luck, and I hope you get a quick resolution that you are satisfied with. I DO NOT THINK IT IS A DESIGN ISSUE WITH THE 2.7L.
I find it hard to believe its not a design flaw— we have not seen the F150 that has used this engine prior for years, have this many failures or the need to summon up the feds to investigate… I am curious if there isnt something a bit different to 2.7 depending on which unit it gets installed in.
(I do own a F-150 as well)
As for me and work— me having a bad day means someone might die. Do people have bad days sure.. I didnt spend a lot of money to be Fords quality control tester. Does stuff go sideways, sure but if this is another round of issues if they are saying faulty parts for the 21 engines…what will they blame on now? I am not convinced all the 21’s were bad valves— some of the folks that had the 21 engine blow had to wait until 11/21 to have the new and improved replacement and then have it fail (search the forum— and these are the ones we know of) Heck some poor guy is on his third engine…
We are not talking dirt in engines but metal in my case and lots of it… I used to turn a wrench in the my younger days. . Hell an engine is more electronics anymore. I give mechanics many kudos. To have to keep up with all this evolving tech.
Also I meant many that are on here saying this is ok To give Ford a pass… I unfortunately even with a new engine dont think I want to keep it… I was getting ready to sell my Outerbanks with the 2.3 and glad I didnt… This was my 2020 reservation turned order. 802 days of waiting on my Wildtrack… I don’t know the answer but this isnt a one time thing… Yes there are tens of thousands of them on the road… not every component including the engine is built by man. Its all mostly computers these days with a human overseeing. I dont think Ford is doing enough to figure out the answer. The engineer as soon as he was told my issues authorized them change oil and cut filter. That tells me they know of more going on… In my professional opinion as an investigator if they werent aware of an issue he wouldnt have had them change the oil on an engine with less then 100 miles on it.
Maybe with my low low miles it will help them isolate what fails when they take the engine apart to evaluate. Lets hope so.

Laredo

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes this forum has devolved into fanboy echo chamber. "All engines have failures", "That's what the warranty is for", "The F-150 has millions with no problems" and similar

You're right, the Bronco 2.7L is different from the F-150 2.7. They use different parts and different tuning. Attempts by some to bolster the Bronco 2.7 based on F-150 2.7 reliability are faulty arguments. By the way, F-150's have blown 2.7's also. Not as high %. And the Bronco 2.7 engine is having a lot more problems than Bronco 2.3

You're also right about Ford having more failures than other manufacturers over the past few years.

With your '22-237 blown at 60 miles it may not be the same dropped-valve failure mode as most of the others. Could be something different. Still another blown 2.7
Sponsored