First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah I'd say it's safe now for any 2.7. Defects can happen at anytime, with anything manufactured- vehicles, etc. Manufacturers do their best to eliminate all defects, out of spec product, etc. although not everything is 100% inspected, only a certain percentage of parts, etc. are and only certain dimensions. From the engineering and quality world). So it's still always a luck of the draw.

I love my 2 door Basesquatch with the 2.7. For a truck it moves and delivers reasonable fuel economy for what it is.
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Buy what you desire. I drove Broncos with both motors. I noticed no difference. I own the 2.3, and not once have I gave a thought about it’s performance. In truth I am not a fan of either motor choice, but if one wants a Bronco ,then this is what one gets.

JGB1966

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend Sasquatch 2.7 Auto
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'd suggest the 2.7, we just finished a 2250 mile week trip with 2 days of pure off road in the Rockies. The 2.7 is an awesome engine, as others have said the valve issues were isolated to a limited batch and I'm sure once they identified the issue they discarded any questionable valves. Mileage very much depends on the conditions, and your driving style. As for the vinyl, I've had too many work truck with vinyl seat covers plus I live in Texas where it can be over 100 degrees 4-5 months out of the year and I much prefer cloth, both winter and summer. For me the Big Bend SAS was a perfect choice for limited bells and whistle's( that will break in the future) and absolute capability with the electronic lockers. ---- I just hope in 25 years when all the electronics start failing someone will have developed replace3ments or eliminators for those bells and whistles. Order (after the order banks open in a couple months) what best suits your desires and enjoy the wait!!

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd suggest the 2.7, we just finished a 2250 mile week trip with 2 days of pure off road in the Rockies. The 2.7 is an awesome engine, as others have said the valve issues were isolated to a limited batch and I'm sure once they identified the issue they discarded any questionable valves. Mileage very much depends on the conditions, and your driving style. As for the vinyl, I've had too many work truck with vinyl seat covers plus I live in Texas where it can be over 100 degrees 4-5 months out of the year and I much prefer cloth, both winter and summer. For me the Big Bend SAS was a perfect choice for limited bells and whistle's( that will break in the future) and absolute capability with the electronic lockers. ---- I just hope in 25 years when all the electronics start failing someone will have developed replace3ments or eliminators for those bells and whistles. Order (after the order banks open in a couple months) what best suits your desires and enjoy the wait!!
25 years? hahaa... I give them 12-15 years max

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2.7 in the window for failed engines, but that does not mean that the engine will fail... I am currently approaching 32,000 miles (on a vehicle built 5 Aug 2021 and delivered 19 Nov 2021).

As far as mpg goes, I average 22mpg or better at speeds above 70 mph with the 2.7 engine.

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When someone says the 2.3l is "enough", I take that to mean it's okay but wish they had the 2.7l. We're over 7k on our 22' 2D Badlands with Sasq 2.7l. No issues, and I wouldn't want any less engine than the 2.7l......

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Get what you want, it has a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty with roadside assistance.
Per the OP: " I am planning on using the Bronco to go and drive on remote beaches, cape Lookout, Hatteras, etc. "
I don't think that is considered "roadside".
I believe the Bronco owners that have had their fuel pump fail while off-roading had to pay or find their own way back to the road before "roadside" assistance can pick up the stranded Bronco.

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If there are any engines in the affected Julian date range not installed, there is the possibility. However, I think they are all spoken for. With that in mind, I think the 2.7L is a good choice. BTW, my engine was in the affected batch and I have almost 19,000 on it.
hey man - mine was affected too but i never got a recall notice. When i called the dealership and told them my engine was in the range, they just told me that Im all good... curious what your experience was.

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want the rubber floor, vinyl seats, LED lamps, and the 35".
You can get all of these except LED with the Black Diamond SAS. I love mine. The non-LED lights are plenty bright for me. I can see everything I need with them. Off-road lights are a good add. I have ditch lights and I put a 30in bar on the front bumper. BD is the best bang for the buck. Mine is not SAS, but I do not need it. I will upgrade to 35s as soon as I get the money saved.

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hey man - mine was affected too but i never got a recall notice. When i called the dealership and told them my engine was in the range, they just told me that Im all good... curious what your experience was.
My engine was a 21179 engine from the Lima Plant. That is June 28, 2021. Bronco built on August 31, 2021 and delivered on September 29, 2021. I have done nothing but drive it and no problems.

OP
OP

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette/Element
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for all of the responses. I understand that the 2.3L is a good engine and adequate for the Bronco. However, I am looking for more than just adequate. My current daily is a Honda, and the engine is just adequate. It does the job, but leave me wanting more. I will be looking to order the 2.7L, and I hope the 3.0L will be available for 2023. I am not fan for turbo engines, but it is what it is.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have always been a fan of getting the biggest engine you can in the lightest and most base package you can. Simple equation of power to weight and keep the cost down. That was my logic when I reserved and bought my Bronco. I went with a 2 door Basesquatch 2.7 and it for sure did not disappoint. It's fun and easy to drive with lots of power.

cmecatchu2

Wildtrak
First Name
Anne Marie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have an ongoing post. Had it for 7 hours…. (9/24/22 purchase)
2022 built 8/22/22 engine date from Lima plant 22237– died with 60 miles on it. New engine ordered… just fyi for all. I just went out and found my sticker before they replace it.

FB9B2E4D-6BF3-4B20-8F7A-231D76BCA30F.jpeg

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI there are 10s of thousands of 2.7's in f 150's and other Fords out there with good reliability so I wouldn't be afraid of a bad batch that last count numbered in the 60's.
Sponsored