Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had in my mind to tape them, but in the excitement of getting started just forgot. I will always try to include such learnings in my videos, that is really the whole point, to share info with the community. Thanks!
and we appreciate it! I've been really interested in the idea of painting the grill/emblems/lettering so seeing this was very informative.
Sponsored

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am, been doing it for about 30 years now.

Honestly I'd feel guilty if I charged more than $200 for this job, and that sounds like a lot.
Good thing is that I'd be able to get the paint and clear, and spread that cost out across several (in theory), so basically it could be done for that...
That's really reasonable. Nobody around here could come close to that. Let me ask you this while we are chatting....would you tackle painting the MIC top and if so about how much would you charge for that?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's really reasonable. Nobody around here could come close to that. Let me ask you this while we are chatting....would you tackle painting the MIC top and if so about how much would you charge for that?
Now THAT is the million dollar question.
I am not 100% confident in the actual top substrate holding up over time.
There have been several posted on here that were painted, and the jury is out on longevity of that work. Not because the prep or painting wasn't done to the best techniques, but simply due to "We don't know what exactly is going on" there with the fact that the surfaces of the MIC are changing over time.
In theory if it is due to moisture or UV, painting it should alleviate that part of the deterioration.

Going with that theory, if I were to paint a MIC I would ballpark estimate that figure at about $1500-2000.
A lot of the variation in price would be the actual surface condition of the top to start with as well as the color desired. Some paints are more expensive than others or require a midcoat of pearl vs. color and clear.

And unfortunately due to the MIC characteristics, I could not offer a guarantee of the final product.
A guarantee the prep and painting is right and will be effective and high quality, but not a guarantee that it would not delaminate in the future (actual MIC skin breaking down or coming loose) due to something changing in the substrate of the MIC.

That ballpark is on the current iteration of the MIC.
Once everything is revamped and proven, the figure would be less, because the application and block sanding of filler primer (to counteract or ward off the honeycomb texture) would not be needed. Technically a person could sand and paint without the primer in that instance. Simply spray a light-colored sealer coat and go directly to the base color.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ah you beat me to it before I got it posted here, I am Budget Bronco on YT, @Timinpgh here on 6G. I'll follow this thread and can answer any questions (on the grille, not on fashion choices :LOL:).

I thought about doing the edges in AMB but in the end decided against it. I think if you were taking it to a professional painter that would be a good choice, but doing it DIY I was not sure I would be able to make it look as clean as I wanted.
Great job! I doubt I could do what you did. Could I just tape off the letters, paint the grill, then tape off the grill and paint the letters? Thanks!

Sponsored

SurfsUp85

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Outer Banks, Kia soul 4u
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Saw this video and thought I would share. Goes through step by step on how to remove the grille and lettering, and paint them. Also how to put it all back together. Great DIY video

by @BudgetBronco

This was an incredible video

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love the look, and I love the bravery to do it, I couldn’t spray paint my grill.. well because it wouldn’t turn out as nice…

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah you beat me to it before I got it posted here, I am Budget Bronco on YT, @Timinpgh here on 6G. I'll follow this thread and can answer any questions (on the grille, not on fashion choices :LOL:).

I thought about doing the edges in AMB but in the end decided against it. I think if you were taking it to a professional painter that would be a good choice, but doing it DIY I was not sure I would be able to make it look as clean as I wanted.
Thanks for the videos Tim. I'm following your channel and can't wait to see what you do with the wheels! Looks like you got your son in the project helping out? Always good to get the kids involved.

Keep up the custom mods... loving that it's on budget too 😂

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks great!

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am, been doing it for about 30 years now.

Honestly I'd feel guilty if I charged more than $200 for this job, and that sounds like a lot.
Good thing is that I'd be able to get the paint and clear, and spread that cost out across several (in theory), so basically it could be done for that...
Honestly, $200 doesn't sound like alot just to avoid the hassle of doing all this myself.

And to @Timinpgh, that did come out looking good. I was surprised you did it all with spray cans. Nice work.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video!

Although it’s not my kind of style, it was definitely prepped and done with care. And a great how-to on how to prep/paint your grill/letters any way you want to.

Thank you for being the guinea pig with your vehicle and blazing a trail for this - Well done!

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder with vibration if the letter adhesive will eventually freak free and they rattle. Are they deep enough to pilot hole and screw on the back….
I was thinking a 2nd layer of epoxy on the back. They never loosen up that way.
Sponsored