First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks, you are making my point. And again, BTW, I'm not trying to be difficult, just factual. This has nothing to do with DOT. There is nothing DOT in what you presented. You presented the state of UT safety inspection protocol. Safety inspections aren't even required, however this document outlines the standards. According to what you have presented, in the state of UT, it is equally illegal to drive with worn out tires, or a leaking power steering hose, or a loose ball joint, or with play in the steering wheel, as it is to drive with "off road only" tires or non-stamped beadlock wheels. And, like you also said, there is no enforcement.

So, if you want to make a point that technically, in UT, sticky tires are not legal to drive on the street, then I agree with you. But, it is not DOT, and the UT standard doesn't apply to any other state. And, if you're willing to drive with any fluid leak in your car, then you shouldn't be concerned with driving on sticky tires on the street, if the intent is to "be legal". Wish my auto repair business was in UT, then I could tell every customer, when we find something on the inspection, that they must fix it now or they will be "illegal". :giggle:

And for the record, the DOT compliance standard regarding wheels is a requirement to have the wheel capacity stamped in the wheel, and it is a self regulating standard (the manufacturer self regulates, no DOT approval or inspection) and it only applies to wheels on vehicles over 10,000 lbs GVW which doesn't include our Jeeps and Broncos. So no, there is no DOT rule on "beadlock" wheels.

BTW, thanks for indulging me. To me this is campfire talk. And sorry to those not remotely interested in this exchange, not wanting to get too far off track from the OP. 🍻
I give. Street legal: no. Tossed in the slammer: no. I was just answering a simple question.
Sponsored

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2021 Ford Bronco “BroncBuster” built by 2 FAT GUYS OFF-ROAD running 40” Stickey Mickey Thompson Baja Pro X, with a 2” lift and other custom made features that make it a really cool LSG (Low Center of Gravity) build

Wish I had the garage door clearance!!! I'm with you, nice job....👍👍

rk105rider

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harleys, Subaru Forester, Dodge Ram Van
Your Bronco Model
Base
That was very cool! Great looking Bronco!

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He discusses it a lot on the FB groups. Apparently they have some prototype steering system. He is one of the folks that broke their steering rods and rack early on, he replaced it with hydro steering. I'm also pretty certain he said it is off road only.

I could be confusing him with someone else, but I'm 99% certain that is the same person.
yep same person. He has an Instagram page too. Very impressive what he’s doing and pushing the envelope
Sponsored