Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Totally badass, too bad you won't be able to get it with a Coyote V8 I'll bet.
Sadly you're correct traxii. Looks like they will all come with the 2.3 EcoBoost. But, if it's got the torque that might be the "little engine that could".
Sponsored

FL Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sadly you're correct traxii. Looks like they will all come with the 2.3 EcoBoost. But, if it's got the torque that might be the "little engine that could".
Once the Ranger's power figures are announced, they will be very telling for the Bronco since they should have approximately the same power. From what I've read Ford is looking to top the Colorado in power output and with the Colorado having 308hp / 275lb-ft, the Ranger should have higher than that. If the Bronco had those numbers, it would easily top the Jeep Wrangler too which has 285hp / 260lb-ft.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Once the Ranger's power figures are announced, they will be very telling for the Bronco since they should have approximately the same power. From what I've read Ford is looking to top the Colorado in power output and with the Colorado having 308hp / 275lb-ft, the Ranger should have higher than that. If the Bronco had those numbers, it would easily top the Jeep Wrangler too which has 285hp / 260lb-ft.
I agree, with the Mustang 2.3L coming in at I believe is 310 hp, and a bunch of torque I would think it quite easy for Ford to best most all of the Bronco's competitors. But we've seen some strange things happen at Ford, i.e. the Probe, the Mustang II etc. :)

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Failed on both counts, for HP anyway. The 2.3L inline 4 that is the exclusive 'option' the Rangers are starting production with has 270hp and 310lbft. For crawling and getting work done that 310lbft of torque will be useful, but falling under the competition on horsepower is kind of embarrassing since Ford is already late to the party. I expect that there will be some kind of Ecopig V6 option to top the competition with, but I don't think Ford is doing themselves any favors by not making it known/available ahead of the sales launch.

Maybe they're saving it for the Bronco, a decent 3.0L v6 and the coyote 5L v8. Honestly, Ford doesn't seem to be trying very hard with the Ranger. Maybe the Ranger North America launch is all just to prep everyone for the real show that Ford cares about, the Bronco. Wishful thinking probably ...

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly, Ford doesn't seem to be trying very hard with the Ranger. Maybe the Ranger North America launch is all just to prep everyone for the real show that Ford cares about, the Bronco. Wishful thinking probably ...
I feel the same way. It's been an oddly quiet launch for the Ranger. Im hoping they are sitting on more exciting options and waiting for the Bronco to launch for it. Who knows but 310lbft is more then adequate. The old 5.0 didn't even make that kind of power.
I really do hope they at least offer an eco V6 though. I'll be happy with that but people aren't going to be hyped with an inline four even with this kind of power. But hey at least it's no inline 5 H3 pusher.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... The old 5.0 didn't even make that kind of power. ...
I try to remind myself of that when looking at new vehicles and comparing engines. The old 302 v8 or 300 inline 6 that were in my bronco and pickup had some paltry power numbers by today's standards. That doesn't stop me from wanting a modern refined 5.0 coyote in the new Bronco though.

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh I remember these days when everyone just thought it would be f150 with a bed cap

Sponsored