JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Isn't the thing 5300 pounds?! There is nothing lightweight about it!
Ha! Maybe the rubber on the squatch-tires makes up most of the 5300lbs? ?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting, sounds like frame rails and cross members? I know the floor is steel and most of the rest of the body is aluminum. Ford has a long history of making surprisingly heavy vehicles. My F150 in aluminum was almost the same weight as it’s still steel predecessor (I still prefer the aluminum for corrosion resistance).

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Aluminum is a great material for weight and strength; however, body shop prices for it are much more expensive then traditional steel bodies.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting, Im glad your brought them up. I was looking at buying a few shares of that company a while back. And now I am reminded. If i get a stimulus check I may buy 4 shares of em. Their stock was pretty impressive before the 08 crash, maybe they have a future if this alloy works out for automakers. Their current price is around $23 in 08 it was over $200 and has languished for the last 12 years as china has been stripping the US of scrap metal. Now steel is in demand here. Some investors are bullish about steel stocks right now. We shall see. I like buying a few shares of this or that. What else am I going to do buy a half of a set of mud flaps for the Bronco.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting, sounds like frame rails and cross members? I know the floor is steel and most of the rest of the body is aluminum. Ford has a long history of making surprisingly heavy vehicles. My F150 in aluminum was almost the same weight as it’s still steel predecessor (I still prefer the aluminum for corrosion resistance).
I beleive its been said that the use of aluminum allows them to keep up with emission, safety, and luxury updates without increasing the weight further. Like those new fold flat seats in the F150 thats probably the difference in weight of steel vs aluminum hood and fenders.

AU98

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Interesting that they are only using 5% of the total steel as the Gen 3 steel. Ford, can you use more to lower the weight so we can get roof racks.....lol too soon?

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The Bronco's seemingly basic bones are actually among the most interesting parts of Ford's new SUV—it's the first passenger vehicle to use steel alloy from ArcelorMittal that might one day supplant aluminum as the lightweight metal of choice for automakers.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37608...ight-make-ford-reconsider-its-aluminum-trucks
Ford Bronco 2021 Ford Bronco's New Lightweight Steel Might Make Ford Reconsider Its Aluminum Trucks Bronco_2dr_04-copy
Yup, this was covered in October on this here forum:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rld-to-use-fortiform-980-gi-grade-steel.6706/

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting, Im glad your brought them up. I was looking at buying a few shares of that company a while back. And now I am reminded. If i get a stimulus check I may buy 4 shares of em. Their stock was pretty impressive before the 08 crash, maybe they have a future if this alloy works out for automakers. Their current price is around $23 in 08 it was over $200 and has languished for the last 12 years as china has been stripping the US of scrap metal. Now steel is in demand here. Some investors are bullish about steel stocks right now. We shall see. I like buying a few shares of this or that. What else am I going to do buy a half of a set of mud flaps for the Bronco.
At the risk of going too far OT I think the bigger potential upside ahead lies more with any bipartisan infrastructure investment legislation that might get passed than a niche product/market (though long term it definitely provides promise). Accepting that the more aggressive ideas that have been floated may not make it through even a modest (by comparison) program that includes things we (the U.S.) desperately need like bridge repairs, utility grid modernization, etc. will create a substantive demand for metals suppliers. China isn't going away either and their rebound will definitely increase demand for metals.

Be aware that MT's dividend record sucks so it's purely a growth play and not an income generator.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
what are you talking about willis? The GEN1 Raptor (screw) was 6200 pounds and the Gen2 Raptor (aluminum) is 500 pounds lighter.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what are you talking about willis? The GEN1 Raptor (screw) was 6200 pounds and the Gen2 Raptor (aluminum) is 500 pounds lighter.
Maybe I am wrong, just my 2015 to 2018 gained weight, I had three almost identical F150s all Supercrew 4x4 4wd. One 5.0 two 2.7. 2018 is aluminum body 4912 lbs per, my 2015 was 4690 and my 2013 was the heaviest at 5580. For some reason I remembered the 13 as the lighter of the three and I knew my 18 gained from the 15.

Campinguy

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Porsche GT4, Volvo Cross Country
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here are some pics of the chassis from Celebration East.

DSC09560.JPG

DSC09561.JPG

DSC09562.JPG
Sponsored