Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

The Bronco's seemingly basic bones are actually among the most interesting parts of Ford's new SUV—it's the first passenger vehicle to use steel alloy from ArcelorMittal that might one day supplant aluminum as the lightweight metal of choice for automakers.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37608...ight-make-ford-reconsider-its-aluminum-trucks
Bronco_2dr_04-copy.jpg
And yet the Broncos skin is all aluminum.
Here are some pics of the chassis from Celebration East.

DSC09560.JPG

DSC09561.JPG

DSC09562.JPG
and people wonder why Bronc weighs so much, stout.
Sponsored

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At the risk of going too far OT I think the bigger potential upside ahead lies more with any bipartisan infrastructure investment legislation that might get passed than a niche product/market (though long term it definitely provides promise). Accepting that the more aggressive ideas that have been floated may not make it through even a modest (by comparison) program that includes things we (the U.S.) desperately need like bridge repairs, utility grid modernization, etc. will create a substantive demand for metals suppliers. China isn't going away either and their rebound will definitely increase demand for metals.

Be aware that MT's dividend record sucks so it's purely a growth play and not an income generator.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I went to the landfill last week. My aluminum bodied 2015 F-150 crew cab 4wd empty weighs 5300 lbs. with a 1/2 tank of gas.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At the risk of going too far OT I think the bigger potential upside ahead lies more with any bipartisan infrastructure investment legislation that might get passed than a niche product/market (though long term it definitely provides promise). Accepting that the more aggressive ideas that have been floated may not make it through even a modest (by comparison) program that includes things we (the U.S.) desperately need like bridge repairs, utility grid modernization, etc. will create a substantive demand for metals suppliers. China isn't going away either and their rebound will definitely increase demand for metals.

Be aware that MT's dividend record sucks so it's purely a growth play and not an income generator.
Im a casual investor. I dont have enough to invest enough, to make any income off my investments. More of a fun savings account that will one day leave me enough to buy a fun car when I'm old or a story to complain to people about because that damn company took my money and ran way back in 2020.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Imagine being able to cut a third of the weight from major structural components of a vehicle without losing strength and you can see the potential here.
As advanced as these materials are, however, these new steels are only being used in small quantities on the Bronco—around five percent of the total steel used. This may not sound like a lot, but Lizak estimates it represents something like 150 pounds of weight savings. Try lifting a 150-pound weight into your trunk and you tell me if it makes a difference.
If 150lbs is the weight savings after a 1/3 reduction in weight, then the total weight of the "special" steel is 450lbs. (150 is 1/3 of 450). So the Bronco is using 300lbs of this special steel.

If 300lbs of special steel constitutes 5% of the total steel used by weight, then the Bronco contains 6000lbs. of steel alone (300 is 5% of 6000).

calculating.gif

Sounds like some gross exaggeration going on here.

Villagevip

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"68" "72" Broncos, sadly sold, back in the day
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"Arcelormittal" Worlds largest mining, manufacturer of high quality steel..Mittal an Indian, born in 1950 owns 38% of Arcelormittal, Based in the U.K...So, steel not shipped in from China.... : )

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Arcelormittal" Worlds largest mining, manufacturer of high quality steel..Mittal an Indian, born in 1950 owns 38% of Arcelormittal, Based in the U.K...So, steel not shipped in from China.... : )
MT's HQ is in Lux, not U.K. You are correct, though, they have no major manufacturing presence (yet) in China.

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I said it before in a previous thread but I'll say it again because it's relevant. When I was in aerospace, I used to test materials for manufacturing. I never once failed ArcelorMittal material. They also do make a lot of material here in the USA. You had to have US mill material for certain customers.

Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice BS, but fact is the Bronco is too heavy. Much heavier than a Wrangler and having payload issues already.
The payload issues will certainly raise flags for the overland folks (myself included). Useful load isn’t so hot at 1370 for the 4 door, but is more than the jeep and keep gladiator (although less than the Tacoma, depending on config, and 4runner). That 1370 is off of fords media kit site, and I have no idea how options change that number.

Sgt Beavis

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One downside of aluminum body panels is that you can’t stick magnetic body armor on them. With the Jeep JK (and previous models) you could easily stick magnetic armor on the doors and fenders to prevent trail rash. The panels could then be easily be removed after a trail run.

My Wrangler JL and Raptor both have trail rash all over from all these Colorado trails. I’d very much welcome a return to steel construction.
Sponsored