Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is my thread documenting my 2022 two door OBX w/ Squatch daily driver build.

To start, I am a Day 2 reservation holder but this Bronco is not the one I ordered. My order was a 4 door BL in Eruption Green. Why the change? I was keeping an eye on the local dealer and they would have a Bronco or two from time to time that were abandoned orders. Yes they were charging an ADM but from the word on the street, they were charging MSRP for orders. I noticed this black 2 door on their website but wasn't planning on stopping by. However, the dealership called and asked if I wanted to stop by to see it. The wife and I to take a look. We liked it a lot and the 2 door does look sharp. The short ending is the dealership came down on their ADM and gave me a high trade in value for my Tacoma TRD Pro.

What is it? It is an OBX trim with the Squatch package, Lux, 2.3L with auto, and the stock navy pier cloth seats. I comprised on items like the color, door count, engine size...ok I comprised on several items. I did get more tech (Lux vs High package) and Squatch vs just stock BL. So more tech, and putting Squatch on any trim is an equalizer.

Engine...I was concerned about the engine combined with the auto. I've driven the 2.7L in Wildtrak trim and the 2.3L with manual. I liked both of them. Putting the auto with the 2.3L I was concerned that you'd strangle the smaller engine's power. I will say that at least for the smaller footprint 2 door that the 2.3L auto is a solid choice. It is not a speed demon but it does have plenty of power for freeway acceleration, passing, etc. I have almost 400 miles on it with around town and freeway driving, and I've liked the engine so far.

Daily driving...the Squatch with tires around 40 psi is a little stiff but otherwise is a good ride. Handling is good, high speed is smooth. With good engine power, you can run around taking care of your chores as well as work travel with ease. In Normal mode, the transmission shifts a bit early to improve mileage but will hold a gear long enough if ease in on the throttle. The tank with the 2 door starts to feel a little small. Not bad but it is just an observation coming from a Tacoma. Visibility is obviously good. The wife LOVES driving it. Her comment is that it feels very planted.

What I like...the power is good. The transmission is reasonable predicable which is important for a driver that is a 'by feel' driver. Visibility and overall handling are huge pluses. The biggest plus are the looks. I just love the look of the Bronco especially the 2 door.

What I don't care for...lack of storage spots inside. Living with a black vehicle (again)...it has been a lot of years since I've had to worry about water spots or general dirt on the exterior. Not a big negative but more a journey for me...living with less interior space with the 2 door is an adjustment.

Plans for the future include a few modifications early on with a few follow on down the road. This is my main vehicle so it will be a daily driver doing all my short haul runs to the store, work travel to client sites, and long distance travel to visit family. I do plan to take it off road but only on modest trails...my hard core days are behind me. Given that, the modifications will be geared towards functionality for daily use and long term reliability.

Modifications planned: (to be expanded as I go)
  • Aftermarket hitch [complete]
  • Aftermarket trailer wiring (4 pin only) [complete]
  • Oil catch can
  • Hood struts
  • Interior molle panel with storage bags
  • Rough Country concealed winch mount
  • Front shackles
  • Additional rear tow loop
  • Mud flaps
I'll also post about general maintenance items / experiences for those that care to follow. Really just documenting living with a 2 door Bronco as your daily ride, both the good and the bad.

Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4467
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4468
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4469
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4470
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4471
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The first modification was installing a Rough Country hitch. I don't recall the price but it was the most cost effective hitch available. The instructions were generally pretty good but there was one difference in what they called out versus what I experienced.

Start off with removing the rear bumper. This isn't hard. There are a total of 6 bolts to remove, 3 bolts per frame rail. There are two electrical connections to disconnect. Here is where the difference in the instructions came up. The instructions say remove one on the driver's side and one in the center. Mine was on the driver's and passenger sides and no connection in the middle. Just squeeze the connector on the short side to disengage the lock and pull apart.

Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4475

The hitch has 4 bolts, outer ones are a little smaller diameter than the inner ones. The hitch fits well but you'll find that you need the bolts to squeeze the hitch so that it tightens up on the rear cross member. Use the torque values shown on the instruction sheet and you'll get it right.

Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4473

Then just put the bumper back in place with the 6 bolts and 2 connectors. I put all the bolts in place by hand before tightening up. Very easy.

Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4480

Clean and tight install that has a factory look.

IMG-4473.jpg

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

w 2Dr OBX 2.3 Auto you also save over 700-lbs vs 4Dr BL 2.7, which gives better braking too

( 4406-lbs vs 5117-lbs )
Good point and thanks for doing the math. I'd still like to try a 2.3L auto in a 4 door. Driving a BL manual, I found it to be pretty decent.

Also, I should have brought up braking. In 2 door form, the braking is pretty good even with the large meaty tires. The pedal travel is a little long with a bit of a soft feel, but it modulates well and you can come to a quick stop. My Tacoma modulated but over a much shorter travel.

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Added the Curt wiring to get a 4 pin trailer connection. Purchased through etrailer.com. Instructions were pretty good. I recommend reading them a couple of times, then watch some videos online before doing the install. Total time was about 2.5 hours give or take. I ate lunch and my back was acting up so getting up and down off the creeper was a chore.

The instructions are pretty good except for two items. First, the location of the module. They say mount on top of the frame, but after watching one of the videos online I mounted mine behind the driver's rear taillight (see 2nd picture below).

Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4481
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4483

I added some corrugated wire protection for the green wire that runs to the passenger side. At least on mine, tucking it in between the bumper and the body puts it on top of the rear cross member. On the 2.3L, the muffler is fairly close at that point. I used zip ties and stretched out the green wire to make put and make sure it stays on top of the rear cross member.

The second spot where the instructions weren't great is after the install of the taillight connectors and module...specifically routing the power line up front. There is a page on it but it is not Bronco specific. Not a big deal but it was a video that clued me in that it was needed and where it went.

For power, I tapped one of the existing positive connections at the battery. I would have used one of the two open terminals, but I didn't have a nut for either of the threaded posts. Routing the power wired worked best routing from front to back. You follow the driver's frame rail but will need to shift from one side to the other or on top depending on closeness of the exhaust or rotating parts.

For butt splices, I used solder/heat shrink connectors from Amazon. For other connections, I used crimped with integral heat shrink, again from Amazon. Butane torch was used for heat.

Sorry not many pictures.

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hitched up the trailer to try out my old hitch and confirm the lights work. The easy part...the lights work fine. Thanks Curt for putting together a solid wiring kit.

The trailer pulled fine and sits at a good level. However, I needed to use a hitch extension at least based on how my pintle hitch is currently configured. The pintle is configured based on the height of my Tacoma's hitch. I can flip the plate and adjust which holes the pintle are bolted so I may be able to clear the spare tire. That would allow me to eliminate the extension. The current chains aren't long enough with the extension in place.

Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4485
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4486

Sponsored

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just curious, if this is just a daily driver and you're not planning to off road really, why add a wench?

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just curious, if this is just a daily driver and you're not planning to off road really, why add a wench?
Good question. Definitely a want and not a need. I already own a winch that has never been installed. Not a great one but decent. It is collecting dust in storage, so it's a what the heck item. I've only had one off road truck with a winch...all my others had issues adding them (harder than normal). The one that had one was a PTO winch, so this would be my first electric winch.

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Got to use the Bronco as a work vehicle for the last 3 days for a service project. We built a shed in the middle of a horse pasture for a local horse rescue organization. Used the interior space with seats down to haul tools. Dragged the trailer around to haul back scrap and trash along with taking unused lumber back.

What worked - general use was great. Storage in a 2 door is fine with the seats down. Obviously a 4 door has more room but it worked well. Pulling a trailer was good. It is easier to position a trailer with the tight turning Bronco.

What needs improvement - my pintle hitch needs to be replaced. The spare hands so low that I can open the latch on the pintle with the current shank length. I just ordered a longer one. I could have lowered it but that would put the trailer in too much of a nose down condition.

A Bronco helping horses...

Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4555
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4556
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4557
Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG-4558

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update to my build thread. This is posted in its own thread, but thought I would update this one with a couple of pics. It looks like any more modifications are on hold. I made it half way through mounting the UPR catch can. Can is mounted with the drain line with valve. I got tired because I was just a few days post COVID, so the hoses didn't get installed.

Summary. Bronco hit in right front tire. Probably a long wait for repairs.

Ford Bronco 2022 Two Door, OBX w/ Squatch Daily Driver IMG_4612

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs