First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I posted above about the compromises of the design and the fact a lot of Gladiator owners echo that.
But there are also a lot of Gladiator owners who are absolutely thrilled with it.

And yeah, my opinion is it can/will do MOST of what I would need either for as well (should the Gladiator itself be my choice in the end, a BL Bronco, or a Bronco-truck, either way I'd be happy).

Here is a link to a FB video I posted in another thread about travelling mostly offroad across the country. In a Gladiator towing a trailer, loaded with gear.
They went places I would love to go, did some offroading I wouldn't want to (specific pass where they had to actually stack rocks on a cliffside to make the lane wide enough to travel across).
(3) Watch | Facebook
Perfect rock crawler?
Nope.
Perfect hauler?
Nope.
Good enough at both to be useful 99.999% of the time for 95% of what people would use it for (medium-duty hauler with decent offroad chops while without roof and doors)?
Definitely.

Ford, show us what you can do with the design and let us decide.
As mentioned, tackle as much as you can (with the limitations of the design) on what the competition doesn't do well, and you'll sell tons of them.

Put some Fox 2.5's on it, 35's stock factory capable, front and rear lockers, gusseted frame reinforcements from the rear of the cab back...it would be legendary.
My hardcore, Moab, Jeep buddies who also run KOH with Ultra4 were taken back by the capability claims during the Bronco rollout. Impressed for sure. Secondly, they did jump all over the Gladiator and, while not keen to admit buyers remorse, over a lot of whisky and around the fire, I get to hear Gladiator tales of regret specific to capability, driveability, cost and electrical issues. (My favorite: a buddy stuck in some mud, hit the 4x4 button and it didn't engage)

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My hardcore, Moab, Jeep buddies who also run KOH with Ultra4 were taken back by the capability claims during the Bronco rollout. Impressed for sure. Secondly, they did jump all over the Gladiator and, while not keen to admit buyers remorse, over a lot of whisky and around the fire, I get to hear Gladiator tales of regret specific to capability, driveability, cost and electrical issues. (My favorite: a buddy stuck in some mud, hit the 4x4 button and it didn't engage)
What 4x4 button are you talking about? It is a manual leveler to engage 4x4. It's almost the exact same platform as the Wrangler except that it is longer. It doesn't have as good of breakover or departure (which anyone would know before they bought it), because its a truck. It's going to wheel like a four door truck, not a Wrangler. Any reliability issues will be the exact same as they would have in a Wrangler as well. So if they were happy with their Wranglers, it's not going to be much different for them. Every review mentions the Gladiator's drivability is better than a Wrangler, due to the longer wheelbase. I know, it's a solid front axle, so people can barely keep these things on the road, but it's going to stay on the road better than a Wrangler.

I know some Bronco people really want Jeep to fail and love hating on the Gladiator but it continues to sell more and more each quarter. Jeep as a brand is up 14% compared to last year at this time. Ford is down 14%. The Gladiator is up 53%. Each quarter it outsells its previous one. That doesn't happen unless previous buyers are happy with their purchase. I'm not saying you have to like it, but it is doing well, and buyers are liking it.

I gotta go now and defend the Bronco on the Gladiator forum. It's a tiresome job but someone's got to do it.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fca-us-reports-q2-2021-us-sales-301324627.html

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hope Ford doesn't kill the towing specs with the manual transmission like jeep did.
Yeah, its like the manual is just an after thought. Not designed for the task it needs to do. It's clutch also overheats. Basically, if you want to tow, get the auto.

Sponsored

4everbored

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, its like the manual is just an after thought. Not designed for the task it needs to do. It's clutch also overheats. Basically, if you want to tow, get the auto.
I wonder how awesome the manual could be if they put the same amount of r&d into it as they put into auto.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder how awesome the manual could be if they put the same amount of r&d into it as they put into auto.
For sure it would be nice. The auto is fantastic combo with the v6.

Also, I would love it if they added a turbo to pentastar. This is where the Ford competition will force Jeep to make some improvements.
Sponsored