Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

None of those come with a stick shift though.
Yes!
Or removable roof. Or removable doors, for those so inclined. I don't understand what people don't understand about this.
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IF I may play devil's advocate here for a bit:
I have looked at the Gladiator several times.
When they first came out I thought they were horrible, hideous design.
Then seeing them on 35 or 37" tires with the top and doors off changed my mind.
I still strongly dislike the rear end treatment perspective from the side and rear. The overhang and looks-like-last-minute design/placement of the taillights just still looks off to me.

However, something is to be said about a doors-off & Top-off offroad capable vehicle that has a small bed. Overlanding crowds love them, and for my desires in a utility off-roader, it checks some boxes.

But the consensus is that it has all these attributes, but is not great at any single one of them. And that comes from most owners (and forums of owners) I've listened to, read comments from, and talked to.

It's not as good as a Wrangler, all points considered, off-road with departure angles, etc.
IT's not a great truck bed for hauling a ton of stuff or plywood (not the design intent anyway, get a full size truck if that's your need).

But for camping/overlanding/ tooling around intermediate-challenging off road, it fits the bill.
You can throw a lot of gear in the back of the bed and it's easy to get to, more so than a Bronco or Wrangler.

I, for one, would like to see it happen and see what they can do with the design. Being able to go doorless and topless, throw some muddy boots, camping chairs, Blackstone, a tent, some fishing stuff, camp firewood, or whatever in the bed in the process is a tempting thing for me, personally.
And they look pretty tough with the rack and RTT if that's your thing as well (And you STILL have storage in the bed).
Styling wise I'd prefer the Bronco version over the Gladiator, but only if they do something that looks good and works with the styling of the Bronco, which in itself is quite a feat.

Bronco purists will hate it and always make fun of those who choose it, much like the Jeep community. You have no lack of hate on the Gladiator in that bunch, from the die-hard "only Jeep is a 2 door Jeep" crowd.

But times change, markets change, public desires change.
A Ranger or F150 is a more capable truck to be a truck.
A Bronco is more than likely going to be a more capable off-road machine.

Ford is gonna have to find that sweet spot with form vs function and deliver something that looks good and has acceptable capabilities in all areas for this to be a homerun.

The market is there, the desire is there. Learn from the things the Gladiator falls short in and offer something better, and people will buy it up.

All that said, if the Bronco falls through for whatever reason for me, I'm going straight down to the Stallantis lot and getting a Gladiator Mojave. Haters or not, the Bronco is my love, but the Gladiator fits my needs as well and is a solid 2nd (backup plan) choice... for me.

*most of this is opinion and it's ok if people don't agree. I am not easily offended.

Last edited:

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Resale market on those Sport Tracs is quite good. People loved the things even with what I consider to be a somewhat problematic engine choice.

A short bed PU is far more practical for an SUV for most of the southern states. I suspect a closed bed is better if it snows.
then ford should do it now! they cannot get enough components to make what they have orders for, so lets redesign the top. their supplier is doing so well with that. tow packages as well? lets retool the plant which is already speaking of MY2023 before production requests are fulfilled. i am sure a truck in the lineup will solve that. (along with the precedent set by the explorer sport track, one of C&D magazine's top 25 failures)..... maybe we even have a place in the lineup for a bronco sport truck?

NAP51DMustang

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nun-ya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes!
Or removable roof. Or removable doors, for those so inclined. I don't understand what people don't understand about this.
I don't understand what people don't understand about the gladiator sucks so why wouldn't a bronco truck (because it would).

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't understand what people don't understand about the gladiator sucks so why wouldn't a bronco truck (because it would).
So if one vehicle in a market segment is no good then the others are automatically no good too? Wow.
In the end you don't have to like it. No one is asking you to.

NAP51DMustang

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nun-ya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So if one vehicle in a market segment is no good then the others are automatically no good too? Wow.
In the end you don't have to like it. No one is asking you to.
It's not about liking it's about understanding what a comprised design is. The gladiator sucks as a truck and sucks as an off-road vehicle. The reason isn't because of something jeep did but because of the required compromises to the design. You get a longer wheel base (necessary for the truck bed) plus a lot (by comparison to an actual bronco) overhang on the tail. This leads to terrible break over and departure angles which in turn means vastly reduced off capabilities. Couple that with less structural rigidity and you'll be flexing the body (really the bed) all over the place while off road.

If you want a truck with a bed, get a truck with a bed. If you want a highly capable off vehicle, get a highly capable off road vehicle. Mixing the two just means both aspects will perform worse.

And people on here keep talking about CFA vs McDs which makes no sense because McDs isn't making a chickenburger.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Worse, the Gladiator has poor sales right now.
Why copy failure?
Around here the Gladiator seems to be quite popular.

The Sport Trac didn't really steal any sales from the Ranger so I think there is room for the Maverick. Since the Bronco and Ranger are on the same platform the development costs associated with a Bronco pickup are shared. Look at how many different vehicles were built on the Fox platform or the K platform. Both were extremely successful and profitable, even if there was some overlap between models.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's not about liking it's about understanding what a comprised design is. The gladiator sucks as a truck and sucks as an off-road vehicle. The reason isn't because of something jeep did but because of the required compromises to the design. You get a longer wheel base (necessary for the truck bed) plus a lot (by comparison to an actual bronco) overhang on the tail. This leads to terrible break over and departure angles which in turn means vastly reduced off capabilities. Couple that with less structural rigidity and you'll be flexing the body (really the bed) all over the place while off road.

If you want a truck with a bed, get a truck with a bed. If you want a highly capable off vehicle, get a highly capable off road vehicle. Mixing the two just means both aspects will perform worse.

And people on here keep talking about CFA vs McDs which makes no sense because McDs isn't making a chickenburger.
McDonalds has been making a chicken burger for over 40 years.

Different people have different needs. I see no need for a 60" big screen but they fly off the shelf. If everyone wanted or needed the same vehicle there would only be one and everyone would be driving it.

NAP51DMustang

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nun-ya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
McDonalds has been making a chicken burger for over 40 years.

Different people have different needs. I see no need for a 60" big screen but they fly off the shelf. If everyone wanted or needed the same vehicle there would only be one and everyone would be driving it.
The don't make a chickenburger they make a chicken sandwich. Chickenburger would be a party made of half ground beef half ground chicken.

Yes, which is why there are a multitude of trucks of varying sizes made by Ford already. Get one of those.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The don't make a chickenburger they make a chicken sandwich. Chickenburger would be a party made of half ground beef half ground chicken.
What?!?!?! The word burger is not a synonym for beef.

Yes, which is why there are a multitude of trucks of varying sizes made by Ford already. Get one of those.
Don't want one, don't buy one. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that no one else might. Otherwise start your own car company and only build what you want.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The Gladiator is oh so close to everything I need for a truck and probably more than what I need for an off-road vehicle. Most people are neither towing 10,000lbs nor are they rock crawling, meaning that it doesn't matter if their vehicle doesn't do either of those things for them. It's okay if you do - you do you. I'm not clear why you feel the need to gatekeep this for everyone else though.

Oh and I believe it's called a McChicken. That's McDonald's chicken burger. And since I already saw you reeeeeeaaaaaalllllllllly stretch to defend that ridiculous remark, I am not aware of CFA selling half chicken/half beef burgers either.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Gladiator is really long. 218 inches. 137.3" wheelbase.
That's really my main issue with it. That's 6 inches longer in wheelbase than an Expedition EL.

I'm sure it drives great on the freeway with that long wheelbase, but that compromised a lot in parking, turning. Won't fit in most garages etc.
Sponsored