Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't think it's the conspiracy you make it out to be. Two doors in any form are just not going to sell in near the numbers as a four-door. The Bronco is an outlier and it's still pretty low. The previous-gen Bronco died 26-odd years ago because it was two-door-only. It was replaced by a series of four-door vehicles that effectively replicated the purpose in various sizes (Explorer, Expedition, Excursion). The two-door Explorer was around for a short while, but itself died due to low demand.

In most vehicles offering both two- and four-door models, the footprint between the two is nearly the same. This is especially true for picks where regular cab, SuperCab and SuperCrew sizes generally trade bed for cab. SuperCrew = large cab, small bed. SuperCab = smaller cab, larger bed. Regular cab = long bed. There are some variations in footprint, but the point is people can buy a two-door F-150 but they rarely do. In fact, the only way to get a small F-150 is in the two-door, yet it still is vastly outsold by the SuperCab which is outsold by the SuperCrew. It's not about not being able to get a small truck, it's that most buyers can't afford to have one vehicle perform exclusive duties. Factor in the MSRP of vehicles today and it's even more relevant.

The reason why you can't get a mini pickup like you could in the '80s is the same reason why a Honda Civic today is two sizes smaller than an Accord was back when the last Bronco was around: vehicles have gotten larger. And larger. And larger. Three class sizes in three generations.

Good news: if you really want a smaller pickup, there's a Maverick (and likely other competitors) coming soon to a showroom near you. It will be based off the Bronco Sport platform, so it won't be any larger than the previous-gen Ranger. Alas, it won't come in a two-door option because there's no demand for it.
The EPA numbers that he was talking about with regard to small trucks is the very reason the Maverick comes as a hybrid, the fuel economy per size of footprint of the truck has to be much higher the smaller they go, hence the hybrid base price model and the more expensive gas option.

Other notes on other posts:

After having a 2dr 4wd p/u with a 6 foot bed and a stick, I'd go for that in a heart beat. That's the only reason I ordered the Bronco, for a base 4wd stick.

Agree with the "switching away" from cars to CUVs, SUVs and trucks as a reason for Ford to build different variants of trucks and the like; take all the sales from your competitors that they can and a few extra choice will make more happy buyers, not just the few that switch from Ranger to a Bronco truck.

The stick and the removable top & doors make it a different, truck, and for some a better choice, while a business owner may want a hard top Ranger. Just saying choices. How much would it cost to build with all the platform sharing already going on? Yet a base 4wd 2dr with manual trans and removable hard top could go for a $1500 premium over the base 2dr Bronco.

Agree that the Bronco Truck would be an addition to and confirm the reports of a plan that make the Bronco it's own line up. I think they kinda are trying to use the Mach e to do the same for continuing the Mustang lineup into the electrified future.

If they phase their way into that we could see a hybrid Mustage and then a bad ass Mach e mustang, but due to the electric motors being smaller than a V8, a 2dr coupe that's smaller than today's GT.
Sponsored

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So what if the Bronco became a separate brand from ford, like the jeep is to chrysler? then there would be a spot for the pickup.
oz4wd bronco.jpg
That looks surprisingly good to me.

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This particular discussion is interesting to me.

I've exclusively driven trucks since I was 16 when I had a lawn mowing business as a teen. First was a tiny 1986 Nissan. Then I bought the 1997 F150 with a manual transmission, then the crew cab 2004 F150 that I drive today.

I don't have garage space or the need for another car. I still use the truck bed quite a bit and really don't want to be without a truck. So I've been thinking about the Raptor or Tremor to replace the truck instead of the Bronco as an additional car.

But I really want the Bronco. I'm sure the hype of this new car is part of it but I think the reason that the "off road" trucks just don't cut it for me as a substitute for the Bronco is the roof off/doors off features. I think the Bronco is a lifestyle vehicle (as is the Wrangler).

All this to say that while I don't like the way the Gladiator looks and I think it's overpriced, these Bronco pickup renderings look pretty good to me. And if Ford gave it the same roof off/doors off features with same modular design, it might be the sweet spot.

Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Worse, the Gladiator has poor sales right now.
Why copy failure?
Well that's what all the Gen 4 and 5 guys wanted wanted the Gen 6 to be lol. Something that didn't sell to the point of dropping the Bronco completely.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll keep driving the one I've got.

Ford Bronco 2023 Bronco Pickup Rendering FB_IMG_1625196151263

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hard pass…if i need to use a truck, well I’ll just grab the keys to my truck parked beside my bronco? 🤷‍♂️

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Love my Gladiator. Still plan on a Bronco in a few years. But if they announce a Bronco based pickup it will be a day 1 reservation for me. I had a full size truck. Never utilized it fully. A smaller truck is perfect for me. Hard tonneau cover and you have massive trunk space when you need it. Roll it up and you can haul that new refrigerator home.

Lazarus327

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don't confuse the suv market with the pickup truck market as they traditionally serve very different purposes.

I have no interest in a Maverick as it would be extremely useless for my needs. My mother had an original Maverick in the early 70's for less than a year which was defective. She swapped it for a '73 Bronco.

The truth is if manufactures still made compact trucks people would still be buying them. I didn't say they would sell as many as family haulers but there is still a market for them.

The big three auto manufacturers would have folded if they where forced to make light trucks as fuel efficient as their passengers vehicles. Ask yourself why they have stopped making family sedans. Its not because no one was buying them. Its much easier, less competitive, and more profitable for the manufactures in North America to make larger light trucks and suv's. What we are seeing today is a morphing of the family sedan and the pickup truck. Many people justify such a vehicle as a jack of all trades transportation vehicle but it really doesn't perform any single task as good as the originals. So buy one if you are willing to accept the trade offs, which many people are, or one could say, many people are forced to due to lack of choice. Proof of this is the Ford SportTrac, part suv, part pickup. It didn't sell well due to other vehicles on the markets that performed their intended task better. If Ford comes out with a Bronco pickup, it will most certainly be a crew cab with a tiny limited use bed. They won't offer a single cab short bed option as it would sell and negatively offset CAFE penalties.

We as consumers are really not much better off regarding fuel economy of the vehicles we drive today. My '94 Chevy S10 ZR2 4x4 averages 22 mpg on the highway with a 4.3 liter V6 in part because it is small. In 27 years, one would think that we'd be a little farther ahead in the few economy game but we really aren't.

The bigger the footprint of the vehicle the less manufactures are punished by the CAFE regulations, especially if it's a "light truck". Read the attached article back from 2012 and you will learn the real story of why all we see on the car lots these days are crew cab pickups with tiny beds.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/
Brilliant article skiptheroad! Great find! Thx for sharing that, it really does explain a lot.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hard pass…if i need to use a truck, well I’ll just grab the keys to my truck parked beside my bronco? 🤷‍♂️
That's great, and I'm glad it's an option for you. That's just not reality for many of us.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i wonder if maybe ford should be concentrating on delivering the broncos on order right now, rather than adding another speed bump in their logistics chain. jeep's gladiator is not competing with any other jeep product. a bronco truck would be competing with other ford products.

the major problem most people in society are missing is with simplicity you can work on perfection. when you try to do too many things at once, you cannot concentrate your efforts and fail. just think of all the fast food chains with a huge menu but everything is bland and crappy versus the chains who concentrate on a limited menu and have a great product. chick fil-a versus mc donalds.

why be try to be more like mc donalds.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's great, and I'm glad it's an option for you. That's just not reality for many of us.
It’s not reality for me either since i don’t have a Bronco yet. What i was trying to get at is since everyone in here is getting a Bronco (hopefully), down the line if you need a truck, then get a truck vs having a bronco + bronco truck. If you had both, you’ll probably be driving the Bronco more than the Bronco truck anyways. You can also just rent a truck if you just need it for a day or two to haul something 🤷‍♂️

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It’s not reality for me either since i don’t have a Bronco yet. What i was trying to get at is since everyone in here is getting a Bronco (hopefully), down the line if you need a truck, then get a truck vs having a bronco + bronco truck. If you had both, you’ll probably be driving the Bronco more than the Bronco truck anyways. You can also just rent a truck if you just need it for a day or two to haul something 🤷‍♂️
Whether you have a Bronco right now or not is irrelevant to the conversation. The entire point is that for many people having both a Bronco and a pickup truck will not be reality. The allure of the Bronco pickup is to have a vehicle with an open bed - even a small one - that still has many of the features and advantages of the Bronco. Yes you can rent a truck if you really need to, but that doesn't make sense if you could use the open bed on a weekly or even monthly basis.
Sponsored